• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Historic Events you would most want to witness

nokywx

Thanks, Chinook. I've seen this before. Grand Haven and Spring Lake experienced 130 mph winds! I have heard stories from locals about the campers at Grand Haven State Park being blown over. It must have been incredible watching this line move over Lake Michigan!

1. 24.5 inches April 6, 1886

1816 (The Year without Summer)

1978 Superstorm

19.3 inches December 1 – 2, 1974

Tie: 14.0 inches March 4 – 5, 1900 and February 28  –  March 1, 1900 

13.8 inches December 18 – 19, 1929

12.8 inches February 12 – 13, 1894

12.6 inches February 19, 1908 

12.5 inches January 31  –  February 1, 1881

Tie: 12.3 inches on February 9, 1911 and March 3 – 4, 1895

Records and history are made all the time especially when you consider many places only have a good a 100-150 years of data.  The modern era (satellite) of weather only truly goes back about 50 years.  The amount data points and observations are much greater today than just 25 years ago.  Ever notice some type of a 1 in 100 year events seem to happen in the country a bit commonly.  To me it is a cliche to use on major events.  I don't believe in "it ain't going to happen again".  It is happened once it can happen again.  Is it likely maybe no but definitely possible.

Record will continue to be broken in our life time.  Just look how many records were broken just last winter alone.  We have plenty of extreme events to look forward to that will called 1 in 100 year event.  Each major event will have something different about it and unique to it. 

I think you're confusing records being broken with historic weather events... :lol:

Sure, records will continue to be broken. But not all records broken equal historic weather events, at least not the context of what I think was intended to be discussed in this thread...

People years from now won't be discussing a one-time, record-breaking nighttime low like they will a tornado outbreak that caused millions of dollars in damage or a blizzard that buried them in their homes or knocked out their power for days/weeks.

And as far as the 1978 Blizzard happening again, well of course anything's possible (it's technically possible the earth could crash into the sun tomorrow). But at the same time, saying that you'd rather see a repeat setup (of, for example, two already strong storm systems combining into one massive storm system over the Central US) that's less likely to happen again than any of us hitting the lottery is probably unrealistic also. 

Just MHO.

In My Back Yard:

1. August 1963 Tornado

2. The Great March 1947 Blizzard/Burial

3. Hurricane Hazel Remnants

4. May 12, 2000 Ultra-Thunderstorm (I want to see it again in near Walkerton where a national story started)

5. Summer 1911

6. Summer 1936

7. May 31, 1985 Tornado Outbreak

8. Blizzard of 1978 (lowest pressure recorded in Ontario)

Regional Great Lakes/Ohio Valley:

1. Tri-State Tornado
2. Super Outbreak of 1974 (Guin and Xenia)
3. Palm Sunday Outbreak of 1965

4. Blizzard of 1977 in Buffalo
5. Blizzard of 1978

6. Summer of 1936

7. Detroit snowstorm of April 1886

8. Derechos of May 1998 in Michigan

Worldwide:

1. Hurricane Andrew

2. On Weasel island during the peak of Cyclone Monica in 2006

3. Labour-Day Hurricane of 1935

4. Superstorm of 1993 in the deep south

5. Summer 1816 in the deep south

6. Idaho Ice Storm of 1961

7. Hottest Temperature Ever Recorded on Earth (whatever is the true one)

8. Britain's "worst thunderstorm in history" in the late Middle Ages

*Does not include events that I already have gone through (like Morch 2012), or was in the exact same spot for. For each category down, does not include events listed in preceding categories as the Tri-State tornado would be #1 in the worldwide list. Other historic tornadoes like the Moore, OK F5 in 1999 and the El Reno, OK EF5 in 2013 are not included but would be in the Top 10.

<Insert post quote #8 (I'll format soon as the quotes got messed up while writing so this is a temp holder)>

I'd like to read some of those stories, mostly about the Tri-state tornado. I haven't read many from that. Also, on a side does anyone know where to find that clip of Tom Grazulis talking about the 1925 monster and how it was insane that so many farmers died as they were very weather smart and it would have taken something unprecedented to wipe them off the earth so easily? It was at the end of The Weather Channel's Top 10 Tornadoes Special and I can't find that either (online).

<Insert post quote #13>

I can't agree more, its my favorite heat-related weather event. Out of all weather events and periods, that one is in the Top 2 for those "feels" (overall happiness). On cloud 9, high as a kite, take your pick of phrase. I love it so much that I still get mild shivers of excitement thinking about it. And in relation to Stebo's point about more severe weather, the thunderstorm that kicked off the orgy of awesomeness (early morning March 15) was the last legit severe thunderstorm I've experienced. In the following 3 summers including 2012 I don't believe there were any thunderstorms that were like it but close IMBY. I was listening to Jan Hammer's - Crocket's Theme when that storm first hit and thought it was extremely cool. I link that song and the Great March Heatwave together in my mind so when I listen I get taken back to Morch 2012.

I think you're confusing records being broken with historic weather events... :lol:

Sure, records will continue to be broken. But not all records broken equal historic weather events, at least not the context of what I think was intended to be discussed in this thread...

People years from now won't be discussing a one-time, record-breaking nighttime low like they will a tornado outbreak that caused millions of dollars in damage or a blizzard that buried them in their homes or knocked out their power for days/weeks.

And as far as the 1978 Blizzard happening again, well of course anything's possible (it's technically possible the earth could crash into the sun tomorrow). But at the same time, saying that you'd rather see a repeat setup (of, for example, two already strong storm systems combining into one massive storm system over the Central US) that's less likely to happen again than any of us hitting the lottery is probably unrealistic also. 

Just MHO.

Couldn't disagree more with your post.

Just MHO.

Completely agree

Easily the July 1980 derecho.

"Intense downburst developed just west of Ann Arbor. Path of the most intense damage across southern Ann Arbor then eastward through the Downriver suburbs of Detroit. Winds estimated up to 100 mph in Washtenaw county, up to 150 mph in Wayne County. Innumerable buildings, vehicles and trees destroyed in eastern Washtenaw, central and southern Wayne, and northeastern Monroe counties. Several boats were swamped on the Detroit River. Power off in some areas up to ten days." "Railroad cars blown off track in both directions in Allen Park. Department store roof blown sideways in Lincoln Park. Funnel sighted over Detroit River from Canadian shore. Tornado damage included in, and hardly distinguishable from large area of straight line wind damage. Funnel continued eastward several more miles into Canada".

Would also have liked to see the May 1998 derecho as well. It weakened considerably by the time it got here but was quite destructive points northwest of here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

150208013038.gif

150208012245.gif

One thing that event had was good directional shear farther up through the column.  A lot of the tornado events in this part of the country have good directional shear in the lowest km or so, but pretty unidirectional above that.  Palm Sunday had 45 degrees of turning between 850 mb and 500 mb on the 00z Dayton RAOB, which is not negligible. 

Hopefully the upcoming paper will shed more light but based on limited data I've seen, CAPE was probably on the order of 1000-1500 J/kg or so in the northern areas to 2000 J/kg or possibly above farther south.  Not a crazy unstable airmass but combined with that shear, plenty good to cause big problems. 

March 13, 2006. Big bust following the March 12 outbreak in MO/IL

Now I remember that event. If I recall, that's the one which featured the long-lived tornadic supercell from the previous day that tracked well into MI during the overnight hours before dying.

I think one of the shortest Tornado Watches ever (in duration) were issued here (about 2 hours long?), and it still ended up being cancelled early. :lol:

A heavy rain shower briefly went up over the lower east side around 3-4pm along the cold front after a bit of afternoon heating and then pulsed right back down (there were a few more "impressive" t'storms along the cold front around Flint / The Thumb / The Tri-Cities).

That said, the morning itself was pretty darn stormy with some pretty hefty rain...

Now I remember that event. If I recall, that's the one which featured the long-lived tornadic supercell from the previous day that tracked well into MI during the overnight hours before ...

Cell went up around Shawnee, OK and tracked through OK, AR, MO, IL, (IN?) and into MI. Took a picture of it right after it developed in OK. Will have to try to track down that picture.

Found it:

post-384-0-71579600-1423426303_thumb.jpg

Was that part of the Walkerton Tragedy?

Yes, it was the worst thunderstorm complex I've ever seen and the flash flooding it caused where whole fields became lakes (I couldn't believe it) caused cow-turd runoff into a well the town somehow had connected to. The only thing this storm didn't have was hail but imagine it lasting 5 straight hours.

March 13, 2006. Big bust following the March 12 outbreak in MO/IL

I was going to ask when that image was from too, I remember the March 12 event but not the forecast for us a day after. Sounded like a good setup based on the convective outlook discussions. Was that the last time we (in mid-western Ontario) had such high probs from the SPC? 10% Tor risk is the highest I've seen from them for my spot.

I was going to ask when that image was from too, I remember the March 12 event but not the forecast for us a day after. Sounded like a good setup based on the convective outlook discussions. Was that the last time we (in mid-western Ontario) had such high probs from the SPC? 10% Tor risk is the highest I've seen from them for my spot.

August 19, 2005 was a 15% for many of us, not hatched 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2005/day1otlk_20050819_1300.html

But yeah, I think March 13, 2006 was about as good of an outlook as we can get here. Can't recall a time since where we were widespread 10%'d or 15%'d with hatching. Not piddly little inclusions like October 26, 2010.

We've had a handful of MDT's before, but usually for damaging wind with a 5% tornado. June 8, 2007 and June 23, 2010 come to mind for those.

Archived