joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I find it more useful in the summer for convection to be honest. 

Even then it bullseyes on high CAPE areas, so I focus more on the northern gradient of those areas.

I'm not sure if there are similar patterns to winter or not, but it really has lost some of its precip usefulness. I remember a few years ago when if it showed a 1" QPF signal it was a great sign for heavy precip. Now we don't really know if it's just because it's a day that ends in Y.

Even then it bullseyes on high CAPE areas, so I focus more on the northern gradient of those areas.

I'm not sure if there are similar patterns to winter or not, but it really has lost some of its precip usefulness. I remember a few years ago when if it showed a 1" QPF signal it was a great sign for heavy precip. Now we don't really know if it's just because it's a day that ends in Y.

Yeah, the convective schemes used by the SREF members can do some really really funky things with storms that are develop along the coast. 

BOX tossing out a long one for out here.  I don't think the higher end will hold, maybe further SW it will.

Monday Night: Snow in the evening...then snow showers likely after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches. Cold with lows around 10 above. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent

BOX tossing out a long one for out here.  I don't think the higher end will hold, maybe further SW it will.

Monday Night: Snow in the evening...then snow showers likely after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches. Cold with lows around 10 above. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent

The zones are ugly. Takes an average across the whole zone for most weather elements. Snowfall may actually just take the range of amounts across the whole zone too. Basically 12 inches in the eastern part of the zone and 18 in the western part.

Casualty of winter on my road the other day.  My 90 year old neighbor was struck and killed while getting his mail.  The strange thing was that the vehicle that killed him was a flatbed tow truck that was parked in his driveway.  The parked vehicle slid down the slippery driveway and ran him over.

(Mods, fell free to move this. There does not seem to be a new banter thread except for the superbowl storm thread)

Archived