joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. I consider 1" per hour just a typical moderate snow. I'm not sure how that rate transfers to visibility, so I could be off the official definition.

I've always thought 1"/hr rates were usually considered heavy snow, but I might be wrong.  I'm not sure if there's an official definition of it.  We probably have weaker definitions here in the South.  :D

Looks like heavy snowfall is officially recorded when visibility is less than 1/3rd mile, but I'm not sure what rates that would correspond to.

I've always thought 1"/hr rates were usually considered heavy snow, but I might be wrong.  I'm not sure if there's an official definition of it.  We probably have weaker definitions here in the South.  :D

Looks like heavy snowfall is officially recorded when visibility is less than 1/3rd mile, but I'm not sure what rates that would correspond to.

I think it is 1/4 mile or less for heavy snow. Visibility is probably the worst way to measure intensity but that's what we do.

I think it is 1/4 mile or less for heavy snow. Visibility is probably the worst way to measure intensity but that's what we do.

Very true.  Yeah, that sounds right, actually.  Issue is that you can get fog, etc. along with the snow, but it is what it is.

EDIT: The 1/3rd mile looks like it's an international definition since that's equivalent to below 1/2 kilometer.  Obviously, we don't use that here.

Very true.  Yeah, that sounds right, actually.  Issue is that you can get fog, etc. along with the snow, but it is what it is.

EDIT: The 1/3rd mile looks like it's an international definition since that's equivalent to below 1/2 kilometer.  Obviously, we don't use that here.

Fog isn't the problem that day night is. Most times at night a light at a certain distance will be used. That actually results in night measurements that underestimate the rate compared to daytime. Just the opposite of what you would expect.

Just a friendly reminder, if your in western and central NC, when you go below freezing tonight, there is a very high chance you want go back above freezing until next Friday or Satirday. And that will only be for a couple hours each day. Enjoy, I'm feeling pretty good about mby and looking forward to this extended period of winter weather. I'll be suprised if mby doesn't hit the 6 inch mark. Good thump on the front end with high ratios and very cold surface temps. They are out already spraying roads and that will hit high gear tommorow. Guys who plow are gonna make alot of cash money this week.

Fog isn't the problem that day night is. Most times at night a light at a certain distance will be used. That actually results in night measurements that underestimate the rate compared to daytime. Just the opposite of what you would expect.

Good info!  I hadn't thought about that.

Ok, where are we? Navgem went north. SREF went to the Pole. RGEM went north. Nam is north. That about right? Where's the cutoff now for the rain/frozen line?

Pretty sure every model so far is all-frozen for you aside from the SREF, which isn't even an operational.

The RGEM looks cold at the surface, as well.

Maybe everyone forgot that March is only 2 weeks away. If this kind of setup happened like a month ago maybe things would be looking better.

We had a perfect track coastal in January with all-rain.  LOL.

Thanks James. By the time the 12Zs go tomorrow, I hope you don't change to rain. :(

Pretty certain I'll be all-frozen here.  Probably the same for CLT and RDU.  The question is how much is snow and how much is sleet or freezing rain (doubtful there will be much ZR here, but maybe a lot of IP).

Archived