• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

Lol, not sure how this is logical. -AO, -NAO, -EPO, -WPO do not support a rain solution. Granted the wildcard as always is the PNA. It is positive right now. Question is does it pulse downward in the next 48 hours and how much can that overcome all the other favorable teleconnectors we have.

The PNA is actually negative right now (-0.647).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this could be part of the reason

Look at model trends. If the low pressure moved east with this run, what did it do the run before that? For the GFS, look at a couple days of 00Z and 12Z runs for consistency. Avoid the 06Z and 18Z runs when 00 or 12 is available; in the U.S. these runs don't include the weather balloon network data (balloons are only sent up twice per day), and are therefore radically different and more likely to have bias.

Someone posted it here once, the 18 and 06z RGEMs are really bad they are like the off hour ETA runs from 15 years ago

Well IMO the potential exists for a potential major icing event across NYC and the north shore of LI, which leads me to believe that they will issue a Winter Storm Warning, as a WSW is defined by "3 inches or more of snow, along with a large accumulation of ice". If the latest model runs are correct, NYC at least may meet the criteria for a winter storm warning. I could see them issuing a warning north of the LIE and advisory south of that for LI. And most of NJ from 78 south could also be in for an advisory. Just my opinion.

this could be part of the reason

Look at model trends. If the low pressure moved east with this run, what did it do the run before that? For the GFS, look at a couple days of 00Z and 12Z runs for consistency. Avoid the 06Z and 18Z runs when 00 or 12 is available; in the U.S. these runs don't include the weather balloon network data (balloons are only sent up twice per day), and are therefore radically different and more likely to have bias.

my understanding was that this was once the case, but that in the last 10 years or so as models rely more and more on satellite data that the differences are negligible.  anyway, i won't derail the thread with this anymore, I just mention it because I'm not sure dismissing a model because it is 6z or 18z is prudent

Archived