CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love how everyone lives and dies by every model run and the latest run is always the correct run. NAM has snow/ice line moving 75 to 100 miles North in one run 6 hour run and suddenly this is the final solution.  Guess if I was working for PHL/NYC NWS and issuing my afternoon forecast I would change the WSW's to Ice Storm Warnings.

The trend north has not stopped and the gfs is leading the way. Front end is non existent this run...the worse possible outcome. Good thing it's the nam

The NAM max northern position of the surface freeze line jumped from Sandy Hook at 12z to the Bronx 18z.

Big move in the direction of the milder guidance.

Love how everyone lives and dies by every model run and the latest run is always the correct run. NAM has snow/ice line moving 75 to 100 miles North in one run 6 hour run and suddenly this is the final solution.  Guess if I was working for PHL/NYC NWS and issuing my afternoon forecast I would change the WSW's to Ice Storm Warnings.

i don't think this analysis is fair, there has been a definite trend bringing this north and warmer on every model in the last 24 hours.  The NAM (which is now in a decent range) is supporting that. 

This is extremely ominous because the surface stays so cold. Temps in the teens with heavy rain. Total disaster.

Looks very bad for your area, but NYC should fine. NAM has screaming SE winds into NYC and actually get the southern shore of the boroughs/LI up to 40F.  Very rare to get significant ice into the coastal plain. 

Maybe for you. At 15z Monday the 20F isotherm is over Sussex County. All of Orange County is in this teens with 850's above freezing.

yeah, for you guys this is definitely where you want to make a distinction about the area you are talking about.   The city/LI and N and W are in a very different situation if the NAM were to verify.  This would be a crippling ice storm for a lot of Orange County

Looks very bad for your area, but NYC should fine. NAM has screaming SE winds into NYC and actually get the southern shore of the boroughs/LI up to 40F.  Very rare to get significant ice into the coastal plain. 

agreed for the most part, although some northern parts of the city especially might have some significant ice issues if the NAM were to verify

Archived