joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 in west Newark. 50's around Toms River, impressive.

That's a CAD scenario along the Hudson Valley, draining into the city/burbs. Given the extent of the cold and its supply (this is by no means stale or retreating), I doubt the city and the boroughs go to anything other than sleet. A changeover to rain is nearly off the table given this regimen.

12Z Euro cuts the Island in Half... More Snow and Sleet on the North Shore... Lot less Snow on the South Shore more freezing rain than snow... Guess we can use the L.I.E. as the rule of thumb... Purely just reading the text output (not saying this is going to happen). Islip Airport gets .6 of Ice Accumlation from Freezing Rain.

post-2882-0-20157700-1422730273_thumb.pn

12Z Euro cuts the Island in Half... More Snow and Sleet on the North Shore... Lot less Snow on the South Shore more freezing rain than snow... Guess we can use the L.I.E. as the rule of thumb... Purely just reading the text output (not saying this is going to happen). Islip Airport gets .6 of Ice Accumlation from Freezing Rain.

attachicon.gif12Z Point_Click for ISLIP Airport.PNG

Yes this is a major ice storm potential. I do not see anyone, save the immediate s shore of LI potentially, being Rn

In comparison where I work just North of the LIE in Commack and only a few miles away from the airport, not as much ice accumulation as there was at the Airport.

post-2882-0-96256600-1422730583_thumb.pn

Winds switch to E at Islip during the meat of the storm. Good chance coastal areas go to rain on that.

Split the difference between the GFS and ECMWF for now and wait a few more runs to refine.

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 12Z GFS/12Z ECMWFCONFIDENCE: AVERAGEA ROBUST SHORTWAVE IS SEEN IN GOES RGB/WV SAT IMAGERY DIGGINGSOUTHEAST ACROSS THE NORTHERN HIGH PLAINS...AND THIS ENERGY ISEXPECTED TO FURTHER AMPLIFY OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AS ITMOVE INTO THE MID MS VALLEY BY LATER SUNDAY AND THEN EAST ACROSSTHE OH VALLEY/MID-ATLANTIC AND SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THROUGHMONDAY. THE HEIGHT FALLS WILL BE INSTRUMENTAL IN DEVELOPINGSURFACE LOW PRESSURE ALONG AN ARCTIC FRONTAL ZONE BY LATER TODAYOVER THE LOWER MO VALLEY WHICH WILL THEN MOVE EAST AND TRACKGENERALLY NEAR THE OH RIVER SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT. ONMONDAY...THIS LOW WILL REDEVELOP EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS OVER THECENTRAL MID-ATLANTIC AND LIFT NORTHEAST JUST OFFSHORE SOUTHERN NEWENGLAND ON MONDAY.THE 12Z NAM HAS TRENDED JUST A TAD WEAKER AND MORE SUPPRESSED WITHITS LOW TRACK COMPARED TO ITS 00Z RUN...AND SUGGESTS A LOW TRACKJUST A TAD NORTH OF THE OH RIVER. CONVERSELY...THE 12Z GFS HASTRENDED SLOWER/DEEPER ALOFT AND THUS A BIT STRONGER WITH ITSSURFACE LOW. THE 12Z UKMET WHICH RUN TO RUN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYSNOW HAS BEEN ON THE STRONG SIDE OF THE MODEL SPREAD...IS ALSOCLOSE TO THE 12Z GFS...ALTHOUGH THE UKMET IS GENERALLY A BIT NORTHOF THE . THE GFS SOLUTION AFTER ABOUT 36 HOURS. THE GFS AND UKMETIMPLY NOTABLY WARMER THERMAL PROFILES ACROSS THE OHVALLEY/MID-ATLANTIC AND SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AS THEIR LOW TRACKSARE THE FARTHEST NORTH SOLUTIONS.THE 12Z GEM IS A SLOWER AND MORE SUPPRESSED OUTLIER SOLUTION NOWWITH THIS SYSTEM AND WILL BE DISMISSED. THE 12Z ECMWF HAS TRENDEDA LITTLE FARTHER NORTH/WARMER...AND IS JUST A LITTLE SLOWER ANDWEAKER THAN THE 12Z GFS. BY MON...THE 12Z NAM BECOMES THEWEAKEST/FASTEST SOLUTION...WITH THE GEM THE SLOWEST. THE MULTI-DAYTREND TREND IN THE GUIDANCE GOING BACK TO YESTERDAY CONTINUES TOFAVOR A STRONGER AND WARMER SOLUTION FROM THE MID MS VALLEY EASTACROSS THE OH VALLEY AND ALSO NOW SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. BASED ONTHE LATEST TRENDS AND MODEL CLUSTERING...A BLEND OF THE 12Z GFSAND 12Z ECMWF WILL BE PREFERRED THROUGHOUT THE EVENT.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

In comparison where I work just North of the LIE in Commack and only a few miles away from the airport, not as much ice accumulation as there was at the Airport.

attachicon.gif12Z Euro Commack.PNG

and Just a few miles South at my home locale East Islip... Not much front end snow and mostly Freezing Rain, Mix and plain rain... I'm sure this will switch on the next runs but the potential certainly exists for ice verbatim of the 12Z Euro across the South Shore... Plain rain as well since temps get up to a max of 37 between 12z and 18z before falling back.

post-2882-0-55876500-1422732433_thumb.jp

and Just a few miles South at my home locale East Islip... Not much front end snow and mostly Freezing Rain, Mix and plain rain... I'm sure this will switch on the next runs but the potential certainly exists for ice verbatim of the 12Z Euro across the South Shore... Plain rain as well since temps get up to a max of 37 between 12z and 18z before falling back.

attachicon.gifEuro 12z East Islip South Shore.JPG

Last one I'm going to Post... Central Park NYC... Euro Still sees mostly snow...post-2882-0-86040400-1422732729_thumb.jp

I don't see why this wouldn't keep ticking north at this point and there's plenty more time to do so. I say it's mostly rain south of 78 and the Gfs will end up being correct. I'll feel even more confident about this if the next two runs of the gfs continue to tick north and warmer.

The danger of flooding will be real if the warm trend continues as it'll start impacting areas that had 2'+ of snow.

I don't see why this wouldn't keep ticking north at this point and there's plenty more time to do so. I say it's mostly rain south of 78 and the Gfs will end up being correct. I'll feel even more confident about this if the next two runs of the gfs continue to tick north and warmer.

The danger of flooding will be real if the warm trend continues as it'll start impacting areas that had 2'+ of snow.

The Euro isn't crapping the bed two events in a row, the GFS will be wrong on this one

It's not going to keep ticking north b/c we've seen about the strongest tilt storm you can have that runs into a CAD and 50/50. I think the projections by the models are too far North as is. I think we've hit a ceiling on northward trends. It either stays right around where it is or it ticks south, as the models get a better handle on the cold air dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived