joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone here may have the link from NCEP but it does show the 06 and 18 runs verify worse, every now and then it gets posted

I'm curious about the difference in verification scores between a 12z run and the 18z run that comes out right afterward. It seems like whatever causes 06/18z to have lower verification scores than 00z/12z should be offset by the fact that you're 6 hours closer to a given event. People often say, "oh, it's the 18z so it should be discounted," but when you're talking about an event that's nearing, shouldn't it have at least equal likelihood of verification to the 12z?

I'm curious about the difference in verification scores between a 12z run and the 18z run that comes out right afterward. It seems like whatever causes 06/18z to have lower verification scores than 00z/12z should be offset by the fact that you're 6 hours closer to a given event. People often say, "oh, it's the 18z so it should be discounted," but when you're talking about an event that's nearing, shouldn't it have at least equal likelihood of verification to the 12z?

06Z/18Z have fewer darts to throw at a map, so they more often miss the target.  Seriously- in the short term there should be no difference, but these are often used for experimentation w/o informing the public.  The latter part of the run has lower resolution.

The 18z GFS basically kills the idea of a significant snowfall for the immediate NYC area. The PNA- is probably the teleconnection most out of line with significant snowfalls during the first half of February. For perspective, 50% of NYC's 3"-6" snowfalls during the first half of February occurred with a PNA-. In contrast, 31% of the City's 8" or greater snowfalls during that same timeframe occurred with a PNA-.

Looks to be about 6" front ender on the gfs...good thump, will see if anything on backend

The 18z GFS basically kills the idea of a significant snowfall. The PNA- is probably the teleconnection most out of line with significant snowfalls during the first half of February. For perspective, 50% of NYC's 3"-6" snowfalls during the first half of February occurred with a PNA-. In contrast, 31% of the City's 8" or greater snowfalls during that same timeframe occurred with a PNA-.

Well, the trend is clearly to bring everything further north, including the snow, mixing, and rain. We can ignore the trends and not change direction each model run, but we know where that has gotten us, very recently actually. I really didn't think this one would turn into a mess of sleet and rain, but it is very possible. Still a few inches of snow at least to start, maybe an inch or two at the end, but sloppy

Don I couldn't believe what I read just now from you. Early afternoon in the Philly forum yesterday I touted the -NAO/-AO/+PNA pattern as evidence that it couldn't come further north. Literally I said the PNA is forecast to spike. Sure enough I peek today and it's been scraping the bottom of the predicted range since I made that comment. In fact it might be verifying below the lower forecast bound. I suppose more of the energy coming out from Mexico meant the remaining energy was insufficient to pump up the west coast ridge. 

pna.sprd2.gif

Well, the trend is clearly to bring everything further north, including the snow, mixing, and rain. We can ignore the trends and not change direction each model run, but we know where that has gotten us, very recently actually. I really didn't think this one would turn into a mess of sleet and rain, but it is very possible. Still a few inches of snow at least to start, maybe an inch or two at the end, but sloppy

Even the GFS is 4"+ on the front end followed by sleet/ice and then snow again. It's still a sig storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived