Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those maps likely count sleet as snow. 

Not to rain on the parade too much but we can't ignore that the Euro nudged north again. Another nudge (common in these types of systems) and it looks a lot more like the GFS. 

jma is south apparently ggem and euro are very similar and the rgem and nam look more like the euro and ggem than the gfs and ukie...

So altogether, even staying positive, I think it'd be completely false to say that the trends are GOOD for an all snow event for NYC. However, I would think that a stronger system and more of a negative tilt, though leading to more mixing, would also lead to better backend snows falling into quickly cooling air. I still like a 6-10 call for the NYC area and if I had to guess, I'd say 4-6" before the mix/changeover, and 2-4" after. Backend snow situations do rarely work out for our areas, however with this setup it's not out of the question. Areas to the NW and an in general look to be in it for a good 12-18" of snow with no mixing or minimal mixing. I'm thinking the north trend is done and it will wobble around a bit and ultimately end up further south. However, nothing's out of the question.

How are surface temps like? Since this is a done deal in terms of getting all snow the question is the majority of the non-snow precip going to occur with the bl at freezing or below?

Surface temps look freezing or below north of Monmouth County. Winds staying NE=no way surface warmth makes it past there. The issue is tons of sleet mixing in when the 850 low goes over or north of NYC. 

How are surface temps like? Since this is a done deal in terms of getting all snow the question is the majority of the non-snow precip going to occur with the bl at freezing or below?

JM I think youll be happy not to be in LB for this one. It screams last Febraury to me. Where the NS sees mostly snow and a foot. The SS sees 3-6" with 3 being in lb and 6 north of the southern state. Ill go with 4 here at my house. Ill be ion the city for it anyway. I think the far upper west side does well and is good for 12".

One thing is certain. We are going to have one hell of a snow pack out here. The snow will absorb the rain and then freeze solid!

Surface temps look freezing or below north of Monmouth County. Winds staying NE=no way surface warmth makes it past there. The issue is tons of sleet mixing in when the 850 low goes over or north of NYC.

Thanks. If thats true roads will be horrible for the monday commute, so OEM will have to make some tough decisions.

JM I think youll be happy not to be in LB for this one. It screams last Febraury to me. Where the NS sees mostly snow and a foot. The SS sees 3-6" with 3 being in lb and 6 north of the southern state. Ill go with 4 here at my house. Ill be ion the city for it anyway. I think the far upper west side does well and is good for 12".

One thing is certain. We are going to have one hell of a snow pack out here. The snow will absorb the rain and then freeze solid!

I don't mind sleet when there's already a snowpack. When it all freezes it'll be cement. That happened here last February after we had the rain/sleet on Feb 13th. And there won't be a coastal front coming through surging temps to 40+ like we had in 2011 (unless it goes berserk like the GFS). 

The extreme south shore was shafted In that Feb storm last year. A few miles inland was crushed. This is such a close call. 20 miles makes all the difference. I'm not ready to make any definitive statements yet. I like a snow, sleet back to a brief period of snow scenario. Accumulations are a tough call for the area. I don't think we see under 4" though. We could see significanly more.

19 in west Newark. 50's around Toms River, impressive.

When you're this close in and the NavGEM is more amped it usually means any amped models are wrong, beyond 72-96 hours its a different story. I had not looked at it the last couple of days.

I'll be honest, I'm still expecting a correct South. Perhaps the heights rise enough in front to flood us with warmer air, but I'm not buying it.

One thing this forum I think needs help with, is sometimes you guys overreact how bad it actually is, when in reality it isnt even that bad of a run. Especially where I live, I consider myself NYC suburbs (20 miles west of NYC), and sometimes the run isn't even that bad, but all I hear is its north again or blah blah blah. When we barely even get above 32 here. I remember the storm last week saturday I believe. Mostly everyone was like I'm not even sure if its going to snow, or just start as ice. Newark ended up with 6", CPK ended up with like 2.5" So please refrain from NYC Suburbs, it confuses me when its a good run for NENJ, (not including immediate suburbs) and all i hear is what a winter. we cant buy a simple all snow storm. Just some advice.

Archived