joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say things with such conviction.., chill with the guaranteesthink probabilistically.

I'm not saying we don't snow a lot here, perhaps 3-5" in 3 hours stuff with the crazy frontogenic forcing.

But the mix line usually sets up north of the 850 0c...how many times do we see sneaky warmth bust a forecast? And no, heavy rates overcoming mid level warmth is the exception, not the rule.

5-8 would be my first call for nyc, but fragile setup.

My response was to what layers need to be cold. 700 and 925 are cold. 850s are the problem as of now.

Don't take offense to the tone. It's my way.

As of right now the euro is colder and the last NAM runs trended our way.

We both want the same thing but I am aware of the bust risk at KNYC for me .

I think the confluence and block win the day. If I am wrong it effects no one .

As far a front end I like 6 to 8. Then sleet then we will see what's on the back. My guess not much.

We will see .

As I've said a few times before, with regard to impact on travel, shoveling, etc., mass of frozen precip is all that matters. So, even if we only get a few inches of snow, but then get a lot of sleet on top of that and even rain, freezing or not, which will simply be absorbed by the snow/sleet, it's the same mass of frozen precip at the end of the day. Sure, all snow is prettier and will get more attention, but I've always felt frozen mass is a far better way of comparing storms.

I also think that some of the models are overdoing it with the northward progression of warm air and that the Euro has it right in that we'll get mostly snow, like 6-10" in the Edison area (my opinion is based on what a few folks here and elsewhere have sai, plus decades of observation on systems like this where models seem to underestimate the strength of the cold air - like a couple last March and Feb 2010, if I recall correctly - the one with the insane gradient from 0" in NYC to 2 feet in Philly)

I agree, would probably go a bit lower for middlesex county for now 5-7 northern areas and 3-5 south followed by either sleet or zr. I am surprised we dont have a watch. A lot of people are going to get caught off guard for sunday night sb parties and especially for the morning commute. This storm looks way worse than the last one for roadway impact, especially with the cold surface temps.

My response was to what layers need to be cold. 700 and 925 are cold. 850s are the problem as of now.

Don't take offense to the tone. It's my way.

As of right now the euro is colder and the last NAM runs trended our way.

We both want the same thing but I am aware of the bust risk at KNYC for me .

I think the confluence and block win the day. If I am wrong it effects no one .

As far a front end I like 6 to 8. Then sleet then we will see what's on the back. My guess not much.

We will see .

Actually that's right around my thinking.

Also watch for a potential big dry slot. These quick hitters don't go on and on. You get slammed, then mix, then fzdz or shut off. Backside snows are 50-50 at this point... Further north more likely, where I think breaking a foot is doable.

Archived