amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 29/30 Clipper

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slip and fall incidents will be on the rise. Put a new inch on top of frozen runoff from melting and parking lots will be a skating rink. I'd rather have four inches of new snow than an inch for safety purposes alone.

Not down this way. Most surfaces are dry at this point, and there's not a whole lot of runoff from 3 or 4 inches, unlike you guys and your 20 inches.

Is this a deal where im gonna need some good rates tomorrow to accumulate. I know sse/se wind for melrose usually torches BL (i.e 34 or so)

Yeah North Shore is torched on a light SE wind. We do ok here but I don't think I have much moisture to work with. This is a meh event imo, maybe 1-3 here.

Is this a deal where im gonna need some good rates tomorrow to accumulate. I know sse/se wind for melrose usually torches BL (i.e 34 or so)

Depends where you are, in southern areas we'll need to overcome low level warmth.  Verbatim NAM is rain to start in SE MA before transitioning to snow.  Couple inches.

It's really a tough setup to be bullish this far SW unless the low really tucks in east of BOS. There might be a narrow area of Essex county that does fairly well. Sometimes the back edges of those 700 lows have a really good band.

700 low closes off over the Cape before heading east...there is probably like 4-6 hour window where something could happen on the W and NW side of that...these are always nasty to forecast.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we got a band of enhancement on the front end stuff near ORH and into E MA as the sfc low redevelops from like SLK to SE SNE and causes some pretty good low level convergence...BL temps a bigger problem near BOS so we'll watch that part too.

I don't think freezing rain happens with this system.  NAM is not very warm at 925 and 850mb and instead shows a very light warm layer at 925mb where the temp is around .3C.  So I think the mix will be short lived.  Especially staying over the Cape and not getting any further northwest.  Right now its 35F, so warmer than forecasted for today.  That sun means business today.

I don't think freezing rain happens with this system.  NAM is not very warm at 925 and 850mb and instead shows a very light warm layer at 925mb where the temp is around .3C.  So I think the mix will be short lived.  Especially staying over the Cape and not getting any further northwest.  Right now its 35F, so warmer than forecasted for today.  That sun means business today.

James .01 of frzrn is a disaster when pavement temps are this cold, its only 22 here near the south coast of ct

Very strong upper level energy diving into the Great Lakes with a potent shortwave over the Oh Valley spilling eastward.  This amount of energy will allow the storm to go to town overnight tonight through Saturday morning.  Upper level energy catches the surface low, but seems the capture is too far to the northeast to lead to a significant impact to SNE.

Archived