Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2" at Home (Summerdale, Northeast Cumberland County) and about the same at work in Harrisburg. I just finished plowing our lots. This is the worst our lot has been since we moved to this location in '96. That rain at the start made it brutal,  It was solid ice under that 2". I have never had our plow truck stuck until today, slight grade on parking, slid sideways sitting still. What a F-ing b**ch. Temp in the truck said 23, feels a lot colder.

Thoughts on round 2?

2" at Home (Summerdale, Northeast Cumberland County) and about the same at work in Harrisburg. I just finished plowing our lots. This is the worst our lot has been since we moved to this location in '96. That rain at the start made it brutal,  It was solid ice under that 2". I have never had our plow truck stuck until today, slight grade on parking, slid sideways sitting still. What a F-ing b**ch. Temp in the truck said 23, feels a lot colder.

Thoughts on round 2?

YES! I slid down to my very slightly inclined driveway too - shoveling was just skimming the surface as everything was frozen to the pavement underneath. Damn rain.

Hey guys, remember our little friends S&S? Decided to see what they were up to and saw this ...

photo.png

cant see it

YES! I slid down to my very slightly inclined driveway too - shoveling was just skimming the surface as everything was frozen to the pavement underneath. Damn rain.

i'm on my mobile in plow truck, so i cant really see radar, how are we looking or are we done?

I was hoping the HRRR was wrong yesterday afternoon when its sim radar started projecting a desolate wasteland of crap for the Susq. Valley for this morning .. Alas, it's been pretty damn accurate the last 2 events, even out to HR 14..  Hopefully what it's depicting now comes to pass with a few decent bands working their way through these parts later on.  

Let's play "Spot the LSV" - the NAM says MDT's done.

We'll just have to see how things evolve this afternoon, the stuff over western PA right should eventually pivot east in some fashion and we'll probably see some filling in of the precip as the afternoon wears on.. CTP already had the lull mentioned in their AFD update this morning. 

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

INCREASING DEFORMATION BETWEEN THE INVERTED SFC TROF OVER WESTERN

AND SOUTHWESTERN PA AND RAPIDLY DEVELOPING COASTAL LOW OFF OF

SOUTHEAST VA IS MAINTAINING CATEGORICAL POPS/SNOW ACROSS THE

LAURELS AND CENTRAL/WEST CENTRAL/NORTHWEST/NORTHERN MOUNTAINS

PRESENTLY. MY SOUTHEAST COUNTIES ARE NOT YET REAPING THE BENEFIT

AND ARE IN A RELATIVE LULL THIS MORNING. BASED ON REGIONAL RADAR

MOSAIC AND HI RES MODEL TRENDS...EXPECT THE LOWER SUSQ TO FILL

BACK IN WITH LIGHT SNOWFALL BY LATE MORNING/MIDDAY. STORM TOTAL

SNOWFALL FORECASTS ALREADY TOOK THIS INTO ACCOUNT...SO NO

ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED TO FORECAST AMOUNTS...BUT DID ADJUST THE NEAR

TERM POPS TO REFLECT THE LULL FOR THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

OVERALL...WIDESPREAD LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL OVR CENTRAL

PA THIS AFTERNOON ALONG AXIS OF DEEP EASTERLY FLOW BTWN LOW TO

THE SOUTH AND HIGH PRES OVR NEW ENGLAND...FORCED LOCALLY BY THE

INCREASING AFOREMENTIONED DEFORMATION. HI RES NAM/HRRR/WRF ARW

ALL SUPPORT AN ADDITIONAL 1-3 INCHES TODAY...WITH THE HIGHEST

AMTS ACROSS THE CENTRAL MTNS/ALLEGHENIES.

Let's play "Spot the LSV" - the NAM says MDT's done.

nam_3hr_snow_acc_ma_15.png

so does the 12z GFS

looks like we have a closed low just east of Hatteras... now let's see how this screws us develops and tracks over the course of today.  Still hoping a deformation band can set up over PA, but do think a large portion of east PA will continue to not see much of anything.  S&S map that I keep seeing on my feed having 5-8" just east of Harrisburg (even though storm total) is ridiculous lol.

Measured 3.1" here in State College boro at 0730.  I just took a walk downtown to buy a hoagie, and I'd say there's been another 1-1.5" since that time, which is consistent with the PNS from the WFO out in Innovation Park (a couple of miles northeast of my area).  

Intensity currently light to moderate, but flake structure has been roughly dendritic.  

Good morning guys.  Thought I would catch up on all the overnight posts before leaving my update.  I see it's been mentioned, but if the current radar is any indication most of us in the general MDT area appear to be virtually done with this storm.

I just measured officially 2.0" for this storm.  I would love to sit here and repeat the words I have spoken many times before which is, "any storm is a success if it covers the ground, which typically is 2.0". "  Somehow this one doesn't seem to be screaming "success" in my book.

That HRRR snowfall map seems to indicate our area getting upwards of 5 to 6" total from the storm.  Is there any realistic possibility that any bands could set up over us being so far removed from the coastal low?

Archived