Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice job....i know youre still concentrating on this storm but any preliminary thoughts on thurs and sunday?

Thurs looks to feature the clipper low north of PA this time, so might not be much of a snow event.. esp the further east in PA you go. Sunday looks like the next potential widespread winter weather event for the country with southern stream origins. Def lots of potential with that one, but plenty of time to get details sorted out. 

Thurs looks to feature the clipper low north of PA this time, so might not be much of a snow event.. esp the further east in PA you go. Sunday looks like the next potential widespread winter weather event for the country with southern stream origins. Def lots of potential with that one, but plenty of time to get details sorted out. 

nice...thnx

Voyager, I can confirm that observation. :lmao:

Well, looks like those Big Apple weenies can shut up in the next hour...they'll be getting crushed with snow.

might be just me, but water vapor imagery doesn't look too supportive of long duration banding for as far west as NYC

Mag you was pretty spot on with your map. Overall very professional looking!

It's still snowing here. I'm about 2 miles north of IPT.

Last check I had 5" of snow. I cleaned my snow boards and will check them in the am.

Mag on the Thursday/ Friday storm you mentioned it looks north. The pattern this year seems to have been clippers having a

south movement as they get closer. Just wondering what your thoughts are on that?

Would also like to thank everyone who added input to this last storm!!!

Edit: Mag seen your post on clipper being north...just wanted your thoughts on south trend. Or anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

might be just me, but water vapor imagery doesn't look too supportive of long duration banding for as far west as NYC

It really doesn't and the upper air setup isn't as friendly either. This looks like a LI and SNE special. NYC will get their snow and probably get 12" or so, but those 24-36" total aren't looking too promising.

It really doesn't and the upper air setup isn't as friendly either. This looks like a LI and SNE special. NYC will get their snow and probably get 12" or so, but those 24-36" total aren't looking too promising.

I made mention of this from the radar presentation earlier this evening in the Philly thread. I overemphasized "missing" NYC, but it clearly looked like everything was headed for Long Island and New England.

Looking at the radar AS CURRENTLY PRESENTED, one could almost argue that it appears as if it's going to miss New Jersey and NYC and just pummel New England. While there is always that possibility, other imagery, like what you posted, argues otherwise.

From NWS bgm facebook page about their lack of advisories:

Many have asked why do we have the gap in the middle with advisories both over our far west and eastern areas. This is and continues to be a major COMMUNICATION issue for us. Getting the forecast right is hard enough, communicating it is even harder. As mentioned above we are having two separate storms impacting our area over a 2 day period with a minimum in snowfall right down the middle of our forecast area. Very hard to communicate especially when you consider the heaviest of the snow is not only falling over two different geographic areas (far west and east) but over two different time periods (Monday through early Monday evening/Tuesday morning/afternoon). Our best advice is to continue to view our snowfall maps and check for updates. Our goal is to issue the best forecast possible but trend either up or down, with new guidance and observations. We are human and do make errors but with 100% CERTAINTY we always strive for perfection in an imperfect atmosphere. Give us some room for error.

3) We respect everyone's opinion and right to free speech. With that said we want to remind everyone, as we have in past storms, we are VERY open to discussion/questions, etc. However, please remember to treat everyone with respect, including us and those that post on this page. Before you click submit, reread what you have written. Ask yourself would you want that to be said to me?

They'll get there - already snowing hard in Queens. Think I bit too much earlier...12-16 sounds good.

The only reason they are going to get that is because of that fluke snow band that set up over them. They MIGHT hit 10-12 total, but the only reason is because they got 5 inches earlier. The main storm really only is going to give them about 5-7 inches.

Archived