• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

If anyone didnt see the happy hour runs of the GFS....go take a little look see....

all but brought a tear to my eye...

I know that after yesterday some/many are gun shy as those who were supposed to get it...didnt and some who thought they wouldn't....did.

Taking a look back from afar it does appear that we are heading into a better period with the NAO neut and PNA holding.  To see a parade of storms in a potential pattern like this is what I live for with the weather.  Even if one cuts or doesn't pan out....its nice to see them lined up for the next chance.  Oh to be in the bullseye at 0 hours....

Here's to hoping.

Nut

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone didnt see the happy hour runs of the GFS....go take a little look see....

all but brought a tear to my eye...

I know that after yesterday some/many are gun shy as those who were supposed to get it...didnt and some who thought they wouldn't....did.

Taking a look back from afar it does appear that we are heading into a better period with the NAO neut and PNA holding. To see a parade of storms in a potential pattern like this is what I live for with the weather. Even if one cuts or doesn't pan out....its nice to see them lined up for the next chance. Oh to be in the bullseye at 0 hours....

Here's to hoping.

Nut

Nut

The 1 isn't showing in the picture at Haneyville.

https://sites.google.com/site/haneyvillesnowcam/

Nut

The 1 isn't showing in the picture at Haneyville.

https://sites.google.com/site/haneyvillesnowcam/

My buddy owns the Carter Camp cabin (second camera).  Originally he and i were going in together on a place, and he found this and jumped on it.  Really nice area (Short Run Rd.)  a couple miles down 144 from Germania.  

Rode 135 up there last weekend with my son.  Hope to be back this weekend as it is real good.  Just got off the phone with my bud and his wife.  they rode from Gaines to Hyner Run, then back to Germania, Ansonia, then Gaines.  Said it was beautiful.  

Get out and enjoy it however you can folks.

Heres a link to a bunch of cams throughout PA and NY.

http://www.swedenhillsnocam.com/

Nut

GFS partying like it's 2008 with an Apps Runner and a snow-to-garbage event.

Snow to inches of rain on top of that fresh 3 feet of snow in southern New England too haha. I dunno if I buy that track, I really like a track just south of PA or some attempt at a Miller B evolution if it's going to amplify and take a crack at going into the cold air and snowpack up north. GFS does have a high up north, not overly strong.. but it's there. NAO's forecast to even dip slightly negative during the storm time frame currently, with the continued +PNA/-EPO. Progressive has been a thing this year with southern branch stuff, so we'll see if that continues and eventually keeps the storm south. 

The 12z suite had the Euro with a storm evolving like the 0z GFS has, and GFS had the same kinda track but plenty cold enough for snow in PA despite that track. And of course 18z GFS was way south of now. Definitely lots of agreement on a widespread winter storm near Groundhog day, but nothing set in stone as to track yet. Also, the GFS and Euro are on the same footing in my eyes for the time being after this past storm. I generally gave the Euro slightly more weight in most situations (esp coastals), but it's tendency to over amp things this winter coupled with the GFS being updated and still feeling out it's tendencies makes it even more dangerous to just assume the classic biases of the GFS and roll all in with the Euro. 

Thursday clipper system is looking a bit more feisty QPF wise, though the track north of PA will continue to suggest snow is hindered off the mountains in the east (esp LSV). Starting to look like a potential advisory event for the west and perhaps some of the central counties. Should add that SW PA and perhaps the Pittsburgh metro might have some mixing issues. 

CTP on crack?

Sun Night

Snow likely. Low 24F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 90%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected.

Chris, you're looking at the best forecast from Wunderground, not NWS.  NWS never issues snowfall accumulations until within 36 hours of an event.  Of course, it would be great if this forecast verifies.

GGEM followed the GFS this evening with low taking a shortcut through PA. Euro is a bit south, in fact taking the precise low track I alluded to in beginning of the previous post above regarding favoring an under PA track. Low runs just underneath the Mason-Dixon with 850 0C line literally straddling the PA/MD border, pretty solid shot of precip for all of PA (likely mainly a sig snow with minor mixing threat near the border). 5 days to go lol. 

Can someone please explain what may have happened with CTP's official snow measurement for yesterday at MDT ? At the 5pm daily update, it showed 2.9 inches through 5 pm. Then, with the 1 am final update, they lowered it & posted only 1.9 for the day. I don't know how it could have been lowered by 1 inch, especially when the best band of the day that came through the LSV between 5 and 8 pm yesterday. So, I am scratching my head as to how 1 inch got chopped off. I thought if anything, they would have tacked on another .5 to 1 in. when that evening band rolled through?

yea this is strange... their snow depth report over the course of the day went from 1" to 4" so I have no idea why the official total is 1.9" now

I've seen competing theories about why the storm busted so badly from NYC west. Some say that the storm tracked about 50 miles east of where the models had it. I've also heard that the trough which dropped 8 inches on CTP sucked the moisture out of the main storm. Does anyone have insight on that? Was that trough picked up by any of the models?

Quote from a met (can't remember the name) in the NYC forum:

There is a growing concern with the Euro's performance in primarily positive NAO regimes. If you look at this storm, one of the reasons why it busted is because of the fast progressive flow that allowed it to not be "captured." The Euro forecasted to have the NAO index significantly lower than what verified (even 24 hours before the event). In general, the Euro's performance during -NAO periods is unparalleled (2009-2010), (Feb 13, 2014), but I think it's time we evaluate every model's biases especially with a faster NAO+ period we are in.

The GFS might be king this winter for that reason alone.

Quote from a met (can't remember the name) in the NYC forum:

That is my concern with Euro looking good with Monday event now that if there is not enough blocking it will trend a little south and east over course of next few days and move through quicker because of the progressive pattern than what is currently being shown.  I beliee this is what occured for the Dec 10-11 event but that is just off the top of my head.  I think QPF wise Euro was running in the .4-.6" range for Harrisburg and due to it moving through quicker we still had 3.5" snow but only from .25" liquid.  GFS still appears to struggle with north/south stream interaction and may be performing better when that is not involved.  I would still lean toward Euro vs just GFS but (this is all assuming 12z is similar to past few runs) maybe 2/3rds the qpf output.

That is my concern with Euro looking good with Monday event now that if there is not enough blocking it will trend a little south and east over course of next few days and move through quicker because of the progressive pattern than what is currently being shown.  I beliee this is what occured for the Dec 10-11 event but that is just off the top of my head.  I think QPF wise Euro was running in the .4-.6" range for Harrisburg and due to it moving through quicker we still had 3.5" snow but only from .25" liquid.  GFS still appears to struggle with north/south stream interaction and may be performing better when that is not involved.  I would still lean toward Euro vs just GFS but (this is all assuming 12z is similar to past few runs) maybe 2/3rds the qpf output.

What's the temps look like? It looked to me like it went above freezing towards the end of the precip..

what happened to our Clipper for thursday/friday. looks like not as much precip

What's the temps look like? It looked to me like it went above freezing towards the end of the precip..

what happened to our Clipper for thursday/friday. looks like not as much precip

The low tracking north of PA hurts precip prospects in eastern PA, especially in the LSV. When you have the low going above PA the westerly flow you have being south of the low can eat precip up via downsloping off of the Alleghenies. 

One other item about the blizzard last week.  Eric Horst and the KU snowstorm books always talk about the importance of a negatively tilted closed low at 500mb.  For the heavy snow to work its way back into Central PA you need the 500 mb trough to be neutral-going-negative / closing off as it crossed the Mid Mississippi Valley.  If you go back and examine the 500 mb charts from the past 2 days, you will notice things don't close off until the trough is crossing Ohio...way too late for /SEG/MDT/BWI -> NYC.

I think the only thing that busted on NYC more than the Euro/NAM with the blizzard was Jon Stewart on the media coverage of the storm... LOL.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/ss1ifm/january-27--2015---jill-leovy

Believe it or not, there were still mets in the NYC threads that said the euro outperformed the gfs on this storm.

Archived