• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

The only reason they are going to get that is because of that fluke snow band that set up over them. They MIGHT hit 10-12 total, but the only reason is because they got 5 inches earlier. The main storm really only is going to give them about 5-7 inches.

the entire city is shutdown including the subway.  Incredible amount of lost revenue for the city if this doesnt amount to much

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy snow is in the city now. They're going to do more than 8" more.

In queens you mean. It is still questionable if that band gets there.

I think it is safe to say NJ is going to bust....one of the worst busts I have ever seen.

I think 4-8 additional for NYC is a great call at this point. Even if the bands do get there, the storm is going to start pulling away.

In queens you mean. It is still questionable if that band gets there.

I think it is safe to say NJ is going to bust....one of the worst busts I have ever seen.

I think 4-8 additional for NYC is a great call at this point. Even if the bands do get there, the storm is going to start pulling away.

A friend of mine lives in Levittown near Philly.  Theyve pretty much thrown in the towel

It's still snowing here and has been continuously, but mostly lightly, for the past 6 hours.  Just measured a storm total so far of 2.9", which makes this the largest event of the winter for me...yay me.  Melted down I recorded 0.31" of liquid that accumulated AFTER the rain changed over to snow.  So, roughly a 10:1 ratio.  Add 0.05" of rain and the total liquid for the event was 0.36".  All I need is a measly 0.1" more snow to hit 3.0.  I'll re-measure in the morning.  Temp holding stead at 25.0 degrees.

Off to bed for me...it's been a long day.  See you all again in the morning.

Eastern PA Wx Authority blaming an inverted trough axis which set up over CPA for the busted totals. Sounds reasonable to me, but would love to hear from the pros here if there's any validity to that.

My NYC family and friends went from disappointed to angry as they have concluded that they lost two days of work to a run of the mill storm.

Eastern PA Wx Authority blaming an inverted trough axis which set up over CPA for the busted totals. Sounds reasonable to me, but would love to hear from the pros here if there's any validity to that.

My NYC family and friends went from disappointed to angry as they have concluded that they lost two days of work to a run of the mill storm.

Their loss was our gain. Amazing that we are going to do better than most of NJ.

Their loss was our gain. Amazing that we are going to do better than most of NJ.

I am so confused by this... is this wishcasting? HRRR/NAM-hugging? The radar picture has been pretty clear for a while--NYC is getting into the band and into the meat of the storm. If they get less than an additional 8" from here on out, I'd be shocked.

I measured 6" total for the storm, which is a little more than I expected.  

DT was talking yesterday morning about a possible big storm on Feb 2 for central Virginia that may set up farther north into our neck of the woods if the Polar Vortex doesn't drop as far south as progged.  Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Light/moderate snow right now with pretty good snow growth within some locally-enhanced reflectivity. I measured between 11-11.5" snow depth so we probably got another inch or so last night. The PNS report had State College at 6.8" as of 10:30 pm last night so our total is probably around 8". Definitely beat my expectations from Sunday!

I'm gonna be calling it at 6.0" for the storm total accumulation, although some light snow continues to linger around. Partially cleared my measurement area late yesterday morning (3.6" at that point) as well as late in the evening overnight (2.0 additional). Had another 0.4" of fluff in the wee hours. Measuring the depth of the untouched portion was about 5.5", so didn't compact all that much over 36hrs. I forgot to account for that half an inch of compaction when I posted the last amount.

That brings the season tally to 28.2" with 19.4" of that falling this month. 

Overall snow depth is right around 12". 

I am so confused by this... is this wishcasting? HRRR/NAM-hugging? The radar picture has been pretty clear for a while--NYC is getting into the band and into the meat of the storm. If they get less than an additional 8" from here on out, I'd be shocked.

I don't know, but doesn't look like that is going to happen. People are reporting about 8-10 total in Manhattan, and that includes yesterday's snow.

the big winners in NY... ocean effect snow can really crush the Islip area

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

MATTITUCK 24.8 715 AM 1/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT 20.9 700 AM 1/27 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

NORTH BABYLON 18.0 615 AM 1/27 PUBLIC

SAYVILLE 17.9 645 AM 1/27 NWS EMPLOYEE

UPTON 16.2 700 AM 1/27 NWS OFFICE

FLANDERS 16.0 400 AM 1/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

DEER PARK 16.0 530 AM 1/27 PUBLIC

CENTERPORT 13.0 648 AM 1/27 NWS COOP

Not so much for east PA and NJ...

have seen a 7" report in Monmouth Co. as highest in NJ so far and a 1.5" report in Philly Co. PA

NAM and Euro had better track than GFS I believe... but were too quick to develop the storm... late development along with track not hugging NJ coast I believe are big factors as to why the huge busts in east PA/NJ

As for S&S... I had shared a post of theirs and went on a long rant last night about creating forecast maps based on model total qpf output and changing forecasts based on individual model runs and of course it is now missing since they turned their page off since people were posting about how off they were

Oh, I'm guesstimating I got another 1.5" overnight - or say from 5:30 p.m. until I went out this morning at 7. Storm total right around 3.25 or so (my measurements are rudimentary to be honest but I try as best I can, I lack space for proper measurement skills).

Well you did better than I did. We got zero snow from about 4:00pm yesterday and on overnight.

Eyeballing about 1.5" overnight after clearing the car around 9 PM

Looked like State College was under some decent bands overnight.  We only picked up an additional 0.3" here for 7.1" total. Definitely exceeded my expectations.  I saw the the COOP station reported 8.6" total as of 7am. Nice event for us.

the big winners in NY... ocean effect snow can really crush the Islip area

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

MATTITUCK 24.8 715 AM 1/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT 20.9 700 AM 1/27 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

NORTH BABYLON 18.0 615 AM 1/27 PUBLIC

SAYVILLE 17.9 645 AM 1/27 NWS EMPLOYEE

UPTON 16.2 700 AM 1/27 NWS OFFICE

FLANDERS 16.0 400 AM 1/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

DEER PARK 16.0 530 AM 1/27 PUBLIC

CENTERPORT 13.0 648 AM 1/27 NWS COOP

Not so much for east PA and NJ...

have seen a 7" report in Monmouth Co. as highest in NJ so far and a 1.5" report in Philly Co. PA

NAM and Euro had better track than GFS I believe... but were too quick to develop the storm... late development along with track not hugging NJ coast I believe are big factors as to why the huge busts in east PA/NJ

As for S&S... I had shared a post of theirs and went on a long rant last night about creating forecast maps based on model total qpf output and changing forecasts based on individual model runs and of course it is now missing since they turned their page off since people were posting about how off they were

i was banned from their page last year. Did you measure again? If so what did you have....see below reply

Oh, I'm guesstimating I got another 1.5" overnight - or say from 5:30 p.m. until I went out this morning at 7. Storm total right around 3.25 or so (my measurements are rudimentary to be honest but I try as best I can, I lack space for proper measurement skills).

I had measured 2" yesterday, but didn't re-measure yesterday or last night, but eye balling an additional 1". I'm putting this in my records as 3", but will adjust if i'm way off from djr, he only lives above me and he measures correctly.

Still some very light snow at the moment here, but I think we are pretty much done accumulating now.  7.1" storm total.  18.5" for January and 27.2" for the season. 

Thats where i am at as well.

7.1" total for the storm with 12.5" snowpack and its still snowing  lightly.

Archived