Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the NAM has been stuck at hr 27 for like an hour now. Apparently 30% of the reporting stations used by the NAM did not report due to some kind of computer outage.

I've been lurking in the NYC subforum and there are some that think the 24" snow totals are going to be overdone, possibly by a significant amount.

This type of thing almost always seems to happen when you are within 24 hours of the event and the hype and anticipation is huge. I must say that I could handle a letdown of expecting 6" and only getting 3", but when you are expecting 24"+ and end up with 12", that's a pretty significant letdown. It seems the NYC crowd is banking on the EURO holding on to it's astronomical snow totals.

Well the NAM has been stuck at hr 27 for like an hour now. Apparently 30% of the reporting stations used by the NAM did not report due to some kind of computer outage.

I've been lurking in the NYC subforum and there are some that think the 24" snow totals are going to be overdone, possibly by a significant amount.

This type of thing almost always seems to happen when you are within 24 hours of the event and the hype and anticipation is huge. I must say that I could handle a letdown of expecting 6" and only getting 3", but when you are expecting 24"+ and end up with 12", that's a pretty significant letdown. It seems the NYC crowd is banking on the EURO holding on to it's astronomical snow totals.

E. Horst, MU WIC @MUweather Follow

Snow lovers....prepare to be let down, as impacts in our area won't likely meet the hype-machine of some in the media and METEO world.

Eric Horst sticks with a conservative forecast. He's bold, but also incredibly intuitive about the local impacts of storms.

Horst saw the Nam as with any forecasters that forecast miller B they cover themselves I like Eric.

E. Horst, MU WIC @MUweather Follow

Snow lovers....prepare to be let down, as impacts in our area won't likely meet the hype-machine of some in the media and METEO world.

Eric Horst sticks with a conservative forecast.   He's bold, but also incredibly intuitive about the local impacts of storms.

I wonder who he is referencing? Not much overhype for a major storm around here. I guess some NJ peeps follow his forecasts though.

Yeah, well, why don't they try living in the fringe zone where we have to watch them get their foot-plus while we struggle to get 6".

given the trends over the last couple of days, the wyoming valley has been in the screw zone for more than a few runs in between the clipper pre-jump and post-jump. it's a reason why i went only 4-6 there. and with a tight gradient on the back side of the nor'easter, i wonder if my 18-24 in NYC is too high now. but plenty of time still, even with the storm closing in. besides, it looks like SW PA will be a bit more of the key numbers attm.

besides, with Hazleton at 21/16 and AVP at 21/6 at this stage, it makes me wonder about the 4" mark for the valley, but i'll stick with what I have.

5-11" total here?

5" maybe but up to 11" ?

Overnight Snow. Low around 17. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday Snow. High near 25. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow, mainly before 4am. Low around 19. East wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Are you thinking that 4" is even too high?

if that dew point at Avoca doesn't go up soon, yea it makes me wonder if 4" storm total is too high. i'd think by now we'd be at least in the low teens by now, maybe mid teens in Hazleton. there may not be enough moisture working in for that to happen. hopefully while i sleep tonight the moisture will fill in at the surface.

Archived