Newest Member
    Toothache
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sfc is surprisingly cold...

NAM has a huge sfc cold bias lately. At least in general. I have trouble even using its temps sometimes in forecasts the GFS has been so far superior this winter.

NAM has a huge cold bias lately. At least in general. I have trouble even using its temps sometimes in forecasts the GFS has been so far superior this winter.

Yeah..I mean, I'm not really taking ANY model verbatim this far out, especially the NAM.    We just need to realize that we're gonna taint.

Th e850 low is in WV at 81 hours.  That suggests above 850 it's probably even warmer than at 850.  I'd have to check the soundings when they get on Twister to verify where the warm layer is, but the cold surface could be real west of the city.

Anything to prevent this from becoming an apps runner? Heck we got time for it to trend further west. Gotta stay awake for GFS now

Yeah..I mean, I'm not really taking ANY model verbatim this far out, especially the NAM.    We just need to realize that we're gonna taint.

I'm mostly hoping it's at least a small percentage non taint.

we get dry slotted on this run.  But the surface appears colder because there is some cold air damning evident, with a 1033 High between this low and the Hudson Bay low getting squeezed.  Nam could be overdoing the damning or catching on to some small scale cold surface trends.

It's the NAM, you guys.

It is the NAM. the one disquieting thing is the lack of a high to the north and the tendency for models to bring lows farther west. You can see that pretty clearly on the GEFS ens mean and on the recent Euro.  I sometimes think that's a systematic bias when there is no blocking present but right now really all you can do is say is precipitation is likely.  The euro ens mean also is kind of warm but that is due to having westerly members skewing the temps. 

00z GFS briefly has a closed h5 low out in NM at 48... 00z NAM did not have that... though by 54, h5 is open in SW

At 57, SLP is 1011mb and located just south of LA in N GOM

At hr 69, 1010mb SLP crossing into W FL

At hr 75, 1010mb SLP just off coast of SC near CHS

78 -- on SC/NC border just south of ILM at 1007mb; snowing in DCA

Archived