joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time, I don't think I fully appreciated the epic-ness of last winter. Prob because most of the snow events were "modest". But man looking back, I would kill for that pattern now.

That feb storm last year was pretty legit. If it didn't change to rain during the day I think that could have been close to if not a HECS. It was coming down for most of the night before the changeover in the morning.

Hate to take this thread even further off topic ;), but I think the February storm is severely underrated. The rates overnight were very impressive, and the changeover aspect tends to get overplayed in my opinion. Yes, we changed over, and yes, there was some melting during the day, but it's not like we jumped to 50 degrees with heavy rain. It was more drizzle/light stuff for most of the day with temps in the mid 30's before the flip back to snow later that night. A great storm overall in my opinion, though I know some places didn't do as well as others with "round 2" later on that night. 

It wasn't a Feb 2006 scenario or anything. ;) Never have I seen so much snow disappear so quickly, heh. 

Hate to take this thread even further off topic ;), but I think the February storm is severely underrated. The rates overnight were very impressive, and the changeover aspect tends to get overplayed in my opinion. Yes, we changed over, and yes, there was some melting during the day, but it's not like we jumped to 50 degrees with heavy rain. It was more drizzle/light stuff for most of the day with temps in the mid 30's before the flip back to snow later that night. A great storm overall in my opinion, though I know some places didn't do as well as others with "round 2" later on that night.

It wasn't a Feb 2006 scenario or anything. ;) Never have I seen so much snow disappear so quickly, heh.

I have a vivid memory of those rates.

The snow started about 10 at night. I was all prepared to do a midnight plowing but at 11:30 there was only about 1/2" of snow so I went on to bed. I set an alarm for 2:30, but there was still only about 2". I woke at about 6 to find 13" of snow. Plowing that with a mower plow was very difficult. If I could have plowed about every 5 or 6 inches it wouldn't have been a problem.

I was nice here... here is a pic from the morning before the dreaded changeover...

post-2876-0-63488000-1421633556_thumb.jp

Are we talking about the Feb storm last year? If so, great storm. And the dynamics in the evening batch were awesome. It was fun watching the changeover work it's way through the area via correlation coefficient on radarscope. There was some thunder as we went to window rattling sleet and then big fatties falling from the sky.

I had a foot too, but I don't like when snow melts for 24hrs+ (it didn't get below freezing that night). And the back-end snow was pathetic here.

But, snow is snow, and I'd gladly take that storm again :)

I wasn't too happy with the changeover either but I felt like we got the brunt of the precip as snow unlike many of our events. It was the flagship storm of the season imo. March had some all snow events but nothing like that midnight to 6am period during the feb storm.

Archived