joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay great! It seems my best bet would be to find a hotel around Rocky Mount tomorrow evening and wait until about noon or so Wednesday to start venturing around to capture footage.

Sounds good. Like to see how they turn out! Depending on when you are leaving I'd check by here or the NWS to hone in on the best spot tomorrow afternoon.. These type of events can be fickle.

Good morning!! What a way to wake up (Winter Storm Watch)!!

The 6z models

NAM - Basically stayed the same. It could be a touch dryer to put RDU just under .5    .1 extends way back to the foothills

Old GFS - Wetter but still the driest. Puts RDU between the .1 and .25 --much dryer as you go west.

Para - Puts RDU right at the .25 mark.  Drops off quickly as you west.

Latest RAP - Looks good at hour 18 with precip building

Edit: Forgot the SREF-- Basically looks like the NAM

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fsref%2F03%2Fsref_namer_039_precip_p24.gif&model=sref&area=namer&storm=&cycle=03&param=precip_p24&fhr=039&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+03+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

NCDOT just said they will not brine ahead of time due to it being rain initially, only spot treating icy areas as they are called in...this should get interesting.

I have a friend that works for DOT, he's always told me that. If it's going to rain first it's just a waste of time and money to put out brine, rain will just wash it away. It only works if snow/sleet at the start of event.

Good morning!! What a way to wake up (Winter Storm Watch)!!

The 6z models

NAM - Basically stayed the same. It could be a touch dryer to put RDU just under .5    .1 extends way back to the foothills

Old GFS - Wetter but still the driest. Puts RDU between the .1 and .25 --much dryer as you go west.

Para - Puts RDU right at the .25 mark.  Drops off quickly as you west.

Latest RAP - Looks good at hour 18 with precip building

Edit: Forgot the SREF-- Basically looks like the NAM

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fsref%2F03%2Fsref_namer_039_precip_p24.gif&model=sref&area=namer&storm=&cycle=03&param=precip_p24&fhr=039&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+03+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

WRAL showing their in-house model with only .10 for Raleigh. I think they might be setting up their viewers for a bad surprise. The blend of the models looks like at least .25 for the area, and that is when power can go out.

I have a friend that works for DOT, he's always told me that. If it's going to rain first it's just a waste of time and money to put out brine, rain will just wash it away. It only works if snow/sleet at the start of event.

Agreed!

So I am guessing this is pretty much a non-event for the western piedmont? Shelby/forest city area? Looks as if we will be to far west this go round...

If you split the state of North Carolina into four quadrants (don't ask me where the dividing lines are), the greatest impacts would be felt by the following quadrants, in descending order:  NE, SE, NW, SW.  (You're all free to bicker about the order of the middle two, but the first and last seem to be pretty much set in stone.)  Thus IMO, you are correct that the Shelby area will experience minimal impacts, if anything, from this event.

Interesting setup here in Hampton, VA.  00z NAM has an ice storm on the peninsula but rain on the the southside. 

No doubt it is going to be close here. NWS has a lot of us on the southside at 31 tonight and 33 tomorrow with 70% rain...I guess it needs to be below 31 to get ice?

Im surprised by how uniform the temp spread is over the central eastern part of NC, usually we run warmer going into events like this compared to RDU, but RDU and PGV are pretty much even on temps and DP at the moment anyways......a 1-2 degree colder airmass at the surface will make or break this event if we get most of us down into the upper 20's with .25-.50" qpf it will be pretty bad, but if its 30-32 with less than .25" its a meh event.

And it could be right. As we discussed yesterday we will have to wait to see how the precip develops.  

More conservative precip amounts is usually a very good direction in which to lean.  However, as I have pointed out many times, most of our events have overperformed this season.  Not trying to be a :weenie: but the usual rule MAY not apply.  Now watch the Nam come in much drier. :)  It probably will.

More conservative precip amounts is usually a very good direction in which to lean.  However, as I have pointed out many times, most of our events have overperformed this season.  Not trying to be a :weenie: but the usual rule MAY not apply.  Now watch the Nam come in much drier. :)  It probably will.

Yesterday I stated that if I received between .1 and .15 of freezing rain I would consider this a win; especially with temps in the 20s. I haven't backed off that number. I'm really hoping for more but that's my benchmark.

Yesterday I stated that if I received between .1 and .15 of freezing rain I would consider this a win; especially with temps in the 20s. I haven't backed off that number. I'm really hoping for more but that's my benchmark.

That's a solid expectation.  I'm thinking about .2 for me, as I'm a little east.

Nam looks wet for I-95 from what I can tell so far.

More precip down east but looks to be holding close to the last two runs for RDU (just under .5):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=030ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_030_precip_p24.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_p24&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Edit: .1 line still out to the foothills. Solid Advisory criteria for western piedmont.

I'm not liking being in the 'bullseye' for a potential icing event. It used to be exciting, and even an adventure, but that was back when the wife and I could share preparations and responsibilities, and if needed, the cleanup in the yard afterwards. Now with her medical condition and lack of mobility, everything falls on me. Fortunately, unlike 2 years ago with Lynne, and about 8 years ago with her mom, there aren't any medical devices we need power for to worry about. It certainly does raise the stress level quite a bit, though. A nighttime event makes it even more daunting.

The 0.1 inch line keeps pushing farther west with each run. This run even gets a small portion of NE GA in the 0.1 inch range (although temps there won't be cold enough to cause any problems). Also, note the 1000-850mb thickness line dipping down in NC... could be more of a sleet event than expected.

Mods.... are we posting current conditions for the storm in this thread or the obvs thread?

The SREF temp is pretty tight though...  so at least we have that.  

7PM tonight the mean is already at 32-33.  for RDU

SREF plumes are wetter and wetter for RDU with each run. However, the distribution is bimodal, which is a potential killer. Then again, they always tend to be that way. The mean is still 0.4ish, which is a healthy amount of precip to have.

Here's the SREF 24 hr total precip at hour 33:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fsref%2F09%2Fsref_namer_033_precip_p24.gif&model=sref&area=namer&storm=&cycle=09&param=precip_p24&fhr=033&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+09+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

This would put RDU > .5

More precip down east but looks to be holding close to the last two runs for RDU (just under .5):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=030ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_030_precip_p24.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_p24&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150113+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Edit: .1 line still out to the foothills. Solid Advisory criteria for western piedmont.

I think a good bit of that precip in the western piedmont fall before temperatures reach freezing especially south of I-40. There is still a decent amount of spread as to when that area reaches 32 degrees as the RGEM and the SREF take us there about 01Z and 03Z respectively. Others have us reaching 32 between 06Z and 09Z.  One thing to watch today for us on the southern edge of this event is the progress of the freezing line southward through Virginia into Northern NC.

Archived