joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really isn't an IMBY post but I'd love to head down from Boone to wherever the brunt of the ice storm will be so I can capture some aerials to document any impacts it has. If someone could give a few locations that look to get the worst of this and general timeframe (start, finish) it would be greatly appreciated. If you aren't familiar with my work check out my site nelsonaerials.com to see the kind of quality I'll be putting into this. Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

This really isn't an IMBY post but I'd love to head down from Boone to wherever the brunt of the ice storm will be so I can capture some aerials to document any impacts it has. If someone could give a few locations that look to get the worst of this and general timeframe (start, finish) it would be greatly appreciated. If you aren't familiar with my work check out my site nelsonaerials.com to see the kind of quality I'll be putting into this. Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

If you do this, you need to find a place to go and stay there. Watching people from Eastern NC drive on ice, is something best experienced by watching the local news on a hi def big screen.

Rocky Mount would be my guess for the worst hit.

Looking like the I-95 corridor maybe between Wilson and Rocky Mount. Timing wise looks to start tomorrow tomorrow afternoon in the form of showers with temps dropping below freezing in this vicinity between 6-9pm. Looks like temp will go above freezing by early afternoon Wednesday with rain/freezing rain ending around then. Exact location and best timing subject to change.

NEW AFD:

PRECIPITATION: IN THE WAKE OF THE APPROACHING ARCTIC FRONT...LIGHT
RAIN OR SPRINKLES WILL REMAIN POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
TUESDAY IN ASSOC/W WARM ADVECTION ATOP A PRONOUNCED COLD AIR
DAMMING WEDGE. LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION /SOUTHERLY FLOW/ ATOP THE
CAD WEDGE WILL STRENGTHEN IN ADVANCE OF THE APPROACHING
SHORTWAVE TUE EVE/NIGHT...RESULTING IN ELEVATED DESTABILIZATION AS
A HIGHER THETA-E AIRMASS (H85) ADVECTS INTO THE REGION. WARM
ADVECTION AND DPVA (ATTENDANT THE APPROACHING SHORTWAVE) IN THE
PRESENCE OF ELEVATED INSTABILITY WILL RESULT IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF
HEAVY PRECIPITATION TUE EVE/NIGHT...PRIMARILY EAST OF THE HWY 1
CORRIDOR. CONFIDENCE IS HIGH THAT THERMAL PROFILES WILL BE
SUPPORTIVE OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION TUE NIGHT...FREEZING RAIN IN
PARTICULAR...THOUGH SLEET WILL BE POSSIBLE
IF/WHERE SATURATION
EXTENDS TO/ABOVE THE -10C ISOTHERM AND IF/WHERE EVAP COOLING/COLD
ADVECTION SIGNIFICANTLY STRENGTHEN THE SFC-925 MB COLD NOSE.
CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW WITH REGARD TO PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS DUE TO
THE PRESENCE OF ELEVATED INSTABILITY AND THE COMPLICATED NATURE
OF FORCING AT PLAY...HOWEVER...VIRTUALLY ALL MODEL GUIDANCE HAS
TRENDED WETTER THE PAST SEVERAL RUNS...INDICATING LIQUID EQUIV
AMOUNTS OF 0.25-0.50" EAST OF HWY 1 AND 0.01-0.10" ACROSS THE
WESTERN PIEDMONT.

WINTER WX: ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH ALONG/EAST OF HWY 1 IN
EFFECT FROM 9 PM TUE EVENING THROUGH NOON WEDNESDAY FOR
POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION ASSOC/W FREEZING
RAIN...AND PERHAPS OCCASIONAL SLEET. AT THIS TIME...THE GREATEST
ICE ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL APPEARS TO BE JUST SOUTH AND EAST OF
THE TRIANGLE.

Looking like the I-95 corridor maybe between Wilson and Rocky Mount. Timing wise looks to start tomorrow tomorrow afternoon in the form of showers with temps dropping below freezing in this vicinity between 6-9pm. Looks like temp will go above freezing by early afternoon Wednesday with rain/freezing rain ending around then. Exact location and best timing subject to change.

Okay great! It seems my best bet would be to find a hotel around Rocky Mount tomorrow evening and wait until about noon or so Wednesday to start venturing around to capture footage.

You guys can stop complaining about winter now

LOL...I know you guys don't get out of bed unless it's a 10" snowstorm and the winter is at 140% of climo.  The streak you guys are on since 09/10 is amazing, you are running 160% of climo over the past 5 winters and you guys have the biggest snowfall in the east this winter.  Just rolling...

"THOUGH SLEET WILL BE POSSIBLE IF/WHERE SATURATION

EXTENDS TO/ABOVE THE -10C ISOTHERM AND IF/WHERE EVAP COOLING/COLD

ADVECTION SIGNIFICANTLY STRENGTHEN THE SFC-925 MB COLD NOSE."

Jon, Any idea where you think this might occur?

I couldn't say without looking at short range soundings tomorrow...I'd guess anywhere between US-1 and I-95 is fair game...Franklin County, Johnson, etc. all have sig IP on the 00z NAM so the triangle has a good chance.

Archived