• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

mackerel_sky

2 runs in a row from the can with big hit. Grit your spot on. Long ways to go watching how early next week shakes out.

The Canadian has been hot lately, we'll see if that continues but its more or less had the last 2 events up in the Northeast with the other models playing catchup to it, it had the first system bombing to an extent into the Lakes and was suppressed with the clipper too, both verified.

I think making the rain or ice call is really tricky for NC. Sometimes the damming is more intense than the models show. I remember vividly back in high school, I think 9th grade, going to get on the bus one day as a light drizzle fell. Except when I crossed the road to get on the bus, I slid a little bit. It was freezing rain, and it was not in the forecast. Someone told us at a stop they cancelled school, and then cars started sliding all over the place. The bus turned around and tried to take us back to school, but couldn't get up a hill because of the ice. The Durham sheriffs had to take me home. Not long after I got home, there was a four car pile-up in front of my house. Just saying we can get surprises for sure when it comes to ice here.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it before with indices and the look at 5h that coastal storm is probably our best bet for winter weather around here. I'm starting to get worried that after this big cool down we might go back to just a plain boring pattern where we are seasonal at best. Hopefully the OP Euro is on to something with another PV coming down. If we get on repeat with those winter weather will happen at some point as one PV drop will be timed with some sort of energy. 

We were on repeat all December with rain for two days every week. I think it was every Saturday and Sunday, or every Sunday and Monday. Would love to have that repeating with the cold air in place.

I think making the rain or ice call is really tricky for NC. Sometimes the damming is more intense than the models show. I remember vividly back in high school, I think 9th grade, going to get on the bus one day as a light drizzle fell. Except when I crossed the road to get on the bus, I slid a little bit. It was freezing rain, and it was not in the forecast. Someone told us at a stop they cancelled school, and then cars started sliding all over the place. The bus turned around and tried to take us back to school, but couldn't get up a hill because of the ice. The Durham sheriffs had to take me home. Not long after I got home, there was a four car pile-up in front of my house. Just saying we can get surprises for sure when it comes to ice here.

Cool story bro  :lmao:

VRkU63S.jpg

What's the difference between 'breezy' and 'blustery'? Temperature? Note the same wind speed.

• This Afternoon Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a northwest wind 16 to 22 mph.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 12. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a northwest wind 16 to 22 mph.

Wind has picked up quickly here. Now have a stiff NW wind at 10-13 gusting to upper teens.

I know everyone wants cold and snowy but I want quick cold and snow. A 5 day cold snap with a decent winter weather event is all I need or want. Not having heat at work makes for some miserable shifts when its cold for weeks on end.

<p>

What's the difference between 'breezy' and 'blustery'? Temperature? Note the same wind speed.

• This Afternoon Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a northwest wind 16 to 22 mph.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 12. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a northwest wind 16 to 22 mph.
You only see blustery when it's really cold outside.

Rockingham County Schools have just announced a 2-hour delay for tomorrow morning.  I imagine that many of the other school systems will follow suit.

Have some friends in Minnesota that saw me post about about the two hour delay. They couldn't believe it because they are -14 right now and still have a full day. Crazy the differences in thinking about what really is cold.

Have some friends in Minnesota that saw me post about about the two hour delay. They couldn't believe it because they are -14 right now and still have a full day. Crazy the differences in thinking about what really is cold.

The diesel fuel used for the buses turns to sludge when it gets too cold.  We don't have the proper heating equipment to handle the extreme cold.  Buildings were not designed with this in mind either.  It's all relative I guess.  It's not just because children shouldn't be standing outside in 0 degree windchills.

Man I'll have to admit, weather wise I'm really bummed. Really thought we had a chance this weekend. I know there are other potential events but I was hoping to be tracking something legit at this time.   

Of course we have all this cold today and tomorrow and no precip. Then when we have precip it is not cold enough for anything but rain. Why is it so hard to get the cold and precip to meet up here? I can understand in the deep south, but I don't know why it is so hard in NC. Texas seems to get more winter events than us. Even Arkansas. I just thought it would be easier in NC with where we are located far enough north and on the coast. 

Of course we have all this cold today and tomorrow and no precip. Then when we have precip it is not cold enough for anything but rain. Why is it so hard to get the cold and precip to meet up here? I can understand in the deep south, but I don't know why it is so hard in NC. Texas seems to get more winter events than us. Even Arkansas. I just thought it would be easier in NC with where we are located far enough north and on the coast.

We average a lot more snow than places like Dallas, Fayetteville, and Little Rock.

Have we canceled winter yet?  I'm left wondering if I will see any wintry weather this winter.  After a few weeks of jackpotting on rainfall with no cold in site, now we have our coldest days and nights so far coming up with no moisture in site.  So goes life in the SE.  Tick, Tick, Tick, time is going to start running out soon. :axe:

Major winter storm guaranteed now since I posted this :lmao:

Have we canceled winter yet?  I'm left wondering if I will see any wintry weather this winter.  After a few weeks of jackpotting on rainfall with no cold in site, now we have our coldest days and nights so far coming up with no moisture in site.  So goes life in the SE.  Tick, Tick, Tick, time is going to start running out soon. :axe:

Major winter storm guaranteed now since I posted this :lmao:

/Brick Don't be so pessimistic, life must suck being negative all of the time /Brick

Why do you want severe season to start? The storms will still go around your house!

True enough for summer storms of course, but it's kind of hard to miss a line of storms like these winter and spring systems sometimes bring. But then of course once that season starts, CAD will probably take over for real, giving us 40 and rain.

Archived