• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

mackerel_sky

I think it is funny you said melting down when there will never be anything to actually melt down.

Not looking like it so far, is it?  Though, I've seen plenty of years get a later start than this one.

I will say, probably not quite so many people will blindly buy into the "statistical comparisons" in future.  Yes, statistical similarities are interesting, and they are absolutely valid topics of study and conversation, but they shouldn't generate any sort of expectation that it will work out the same way this time as it did last time we had a X October or a Y November or a Z December or whatever.  I think a lot of people saw the concluding "similarities" paragraphs and just assumed it would all unfold the same way.

The Earth has been here a long arse time.  We have been (somewhat) accurately recording weather data for a couple hundred years, give or take, and many fewer years than that for some types of the data, because we're still inventing the technology.  I have no idea why we want to believe that a mere 100-150 years' worth of spotty data out of millions qualifies as any kind of a truly accurate statistical indicator of what will happen next. :)

Foolish mortals!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is that one from, James? And will we EVER see a surface map like that again?

Edit: By the way, to this day, those are the best surface maps ever created...the ones that looked like that. Give me those over any that you can generate today.

That was January '96 ("The Blizzard of '96").

I love those old TWC surface maps, too. I love the yellow blotches for fog!

Spoke of the potential for cold last week and sure enough once again cold and snow effected areas that aren't very accustomed to it. Jerusalem has  been hit by a blizzard. Also, some areas went 50 years without seeing snow but 2 years in a row they get hit.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/snow-blankets-the-middle-east-as-rare-winter-storm-affects-area/43170/

B6uT1HtIMAAZs2v.png

At least enjoy this cold shot before you :cliff: , guys! :)

One thing Jon, our NWS sure missed it - called for 50's and windy today; was 65 and calm. They say 25 tonight, but it sure doesn't feel like it'll break 32.

But no cliff here ... we still have magic to pull out of that old hat !!!!

:icecream:

One thing Jon, our NWS sure missed it - called for 50's and windy today; was 65 and calm. They say 25 tonight, but it sure doesn't feel like it'll break 32.

But no cliff here ... we still have magic to pull out of that old hat !!!!

:icecream:

Haha.  I predict the low IMBY to be in the low to mid 20s tonight, not 16F or 17F like they are saying.  With calm winds tomorrow night I think it will be a couple of degrees colder, probably around 20, with some of the colder spots in the high teens.

Archived