Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really interesting that there are 5 or more posters from little old McDowell County on this forum and only 2 or 3 (that I know of) from bigger Burke, Rutherford, and Catawba counties.

I was thinking the same thing for a small town we have the most participation thats for sure there really isent nothing to do inthis town....lmao

Yes, day 10 of the Euro is loaded with potential.  

The big question is, when are we going to start seeing something.......... other than a modeled LR pattern, that only looks like it could produce?

It's only January 6th, but it feels like February already. lol

It's the sense of urgency caused by the terrible start to winter. 

Really interesting that there are 5 or more posters from little old McDowell County on this forum and only 2 or 3 (that I know of) from bigger Burke, Rutherford, and Catawba counties.

Yes, but our quality of posting makes up for our deficiency in quantity.  :D

Seriously, I'm quite glad to have many posters from McDowell.  I wish more people from Catawba would post.

I was thinking the same thing for a small town we have the most participation thats for sure there really isent nothing to do inthis town....lmao

cashiers nc, that's a small town. Only one stop light when I was growing up there and the Christmas tree to people ratio was a 1000:1

That is very true, sometimes I feel like a hex to snow here though, whenever I have lived in other areas McDowell has gotten its best snowstorms and winter seasons like 2009-10

SJ you're right but when you get CAD usually I get CAD.  It's rare you will see a raging ice storm in High Point and Marietta is in the 40's - We usually end up with 33-35 and rain while you guys get ice if we both don't get ice.  I think some people don't quite understand how strong CAD is in North GA.  I get your point though.  My original comment was crafted for my neck of the woods, that said I think the Euro is a bad sign for you guys wanting ice up there in North Central NC.  5 days is it's wheelhouse..  I hope it shifts back but I'll take the Euro at 5 days over any other model every single time if I was placing my bets.

Oh, yeah, I know that when I get strong CAD, your area usually does, too.  The March ice storm last year was an exception in that regard.  Usually, we're either both getting ice or I'm getting ice and you're getting cold rain (or you're getting ice and I'm getting cold/dry).

We need snow, ice, or something.  I'm not picky.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Yes, but our quality of posting makes up for our deficiency in quantity.  :D

Seriously, I'm quite glad to have many posters from McDowell.  I wish more people from Catawba would post.

Haha I love our foothills posters, I do wish there were more in Yancey, Mitchell, and Avery however since they see some of the best winter weather in our area

That is very true, sometimes I feel like a hex to snow here though, whenever I have lived in other areas McDowell has gotten its best snowstorms and winter seasons like 2009-10

Ive lived here my whole life an that was the best season weve had since the 80s i remember the ground turning white an stayed white for almost a month.

Yes, but our quality of posting makes up for our deficiency in quantity. :D

Seriously, I'm quite glad to have many posters from McDowell. I wish more people from Catawba would post.

Well Brandon and I are former Catawba posters, does that count? (granted I stick to Obs during storms mainly and banter when I feel like it)

Ive lived here my whole life an that was the best season weve had since the 80s i remember the ground turning white an stayed white for almost a month.

Sadly I was in Virginia Beach/Norfolk area for college, and they only had like 10 inches that winter which was still nice but not like the 25+ here. Also in 2011-12 I worked in Maryland and was hoping to get a great winter and saw basically nothing  :axe:

Oh, yeah, I know that when I get strong CAD, your area usually does, too.  The March ice storm last year was an exception in that regard.  Usually, we're either both getting ice or I'm getting ice and you're getting cold rain (or you're getting ice and I'm getting cold/dry).

We need snow, ice, or something.  I'm not picky.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah, the March storms were par for the course actually IMO.  I think there's some super-meteorological geographical barrier around I40 that keeps frozen precipitation around it.....you guys got all the winter precip in march, CLT got most if not all rain.  March stinks by the way, but evidently not for I40N!

I agree though, I'm starting to get ansy.  

many things, and the fact the euro is not the model it once was. You're making a strawman argument I'm simply saying the euro is not as reliable as it once was on the east coast.

It's the same model it always has been and verification scores disagree with you. The Euro is still number 1 like it has been for years and years.

Yeah, the March storms were par for the course actually IMO.  I think there's some super-meteorological geographical barrier around I40 that keeps frozen precipitation around it.....you guys got all the winter precip in march, CLT got most if not all rain.  March stinks by the way, but evidently not for I40N!

I agree though, I'm starting to get ansy.  

I was wondering today if we had better odds at not seeing a snowflake this winter or going above normal in snowfall. 

I was wondering today if we had better odds at not seeing a snowflake this winter or going above normal in snowfall. 

Terrifying thought...  I think CLT averages 4-5" of snow per winter, though, so one storm is all that it takes.  I'd still say going above average in snowfall is more likely, but I'm not sure... :yikes:

It's the same model it always has been and verification scores disagree with you. The Euro is still number 1 like it has been for years and years.

again, you're making a strawman argument. I never once said it's verification scores in the NH are not the best. They have made many changes to the model over the pastop few years and it's forecast for the east coast are not as reliable as they once were.

Things I have learned on this board being from SC. I don't get excited unless Shawn gets excited.

Really? Because he threw a tantrum last night because Bricks thread was gone and the system needed it's own thread.....smh   :weenie:

LOL good point. Is Shawn still a member of TBS? 

Why was this even posted in the Pinned Pattern Thread?   <_<

again, you're making a strawman argument. I never once said it's verification scores in the NH are not the best. They have made many changes to the model over the pastop few years and it's forecast for the east coast are not as reliable as they once were.

Enough of the arguing......take it to PM   :angry:

We agree to disagree, post some proof if you have it.  I won't hold my breath because it seems like you are just going off of personal experience and not anything rooted in science.

did you move? What is your elevation now?

You're still on the eastern side of the divide. That helps tremendously.

No still in Northern McDowell. Was referring to being at a higher elevation than Marietta. Yes being just backed up against this side of the Blue Ridge helps a lot in CAD events.

Interesting question.  Better odds? I think going without a snowflake.  I don't think we do, but I'm starting to really think we don't get much snow this year.  Many times our average is pushed up by SE bombs.  I doubt we get one this year with no blocking so I'm guessing it's highly likely we get a standard 2-3 inch brush job, if any.  I'll take it at this point. 

Archived