joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Chandley chose not to renew his contract with WSB back in July because he wanted to pursue a Chief met position elsewhere. This opened up speculation that he may be heading over to WAGA (FOX 5) to replace Ken Cook. His 6 month contract clause with WSB ends this month so the timing would be perfect.

This is my personal opinion, but I think even if Glenn had of retired when Ken Cook did, Brad Nitz would have been picked as his replacement over David. David probably sensed he would get thrown under the bus for Brad even if he waited it out a few more years. It seems like Brad Nitz is more groomed for the job imo.

You're right. It's probably a little of all that. And working for burns could be terrible.

Glenn Burns troll job strikes again. On his fb he trolls us winter loves with a photo of the gfs at hr 348. It shows 60s. Honestly I wonder how he's a Chief met.

Glenn also posted a map from NOAA that shows a very warm January for the southeast. Also he posted a map that shows a low of around 17 or so on Thursday morning. Not that cold for the dead of winter, considering the record low is around 6 !

These last posts IMO should be in Brick's thread if it were open. They add clutter to the pattern disc.

These last posts would not even make it in a "threat" thread....they belong in banter

Can we pin something with your post on it?  Needs to really be seen at anytime

It will be made and pinned if the threat is still there tomorrow evening. 

I posted this at 3:58 and no reply - seems to have gotten lost in the banter battle.

Can anyone answer?

skc.gif
58 °F
N @ 4 MPH

Hey - I used to have a nice simple "map" of the US that showed temp/precip for each MJO phase (I think it was by month or by 3 month groupings). I've lost it. Does anyone have a link for that?

Agreed, it's a very impressive cold snap that is literally a once in a year or two event. Nothing to sneeze at. Some years KATL doesn't even drop under 20 at night.....

I would say about once or twice a winter we fail to get above freezing. Having said that, we very well may get above freezing on Thursday. KATL is not a very good example. In north ga, it gets in the teens every single winter. Even in that awful 2011-12 winter. I've never personally seen a winter where it didn't get below 15 degrees.

Glenn also posted a map from NOAA that shows a very warm January for the southeast. Also he posted a map that shows a low of around 17 or so on Thursday morning. Not that cold for the dead of winter, considering the record low is around 6 !

when does noaa not put out a map that is warm or equal chance.

Also, your forecasted low is 11 degrees above the record and you "its not cold for the dead of winter". Dude, you live in GA, not at 6000ft in western nc.

I posted this at 3:58 and no reply - seems to have gotten lost in the banter battle.

Can anyone answer?

skc.gif
58 °F
N @ 4 MPH

Hey - I used to have a nice simple "map" of the US that showed temp/precip for each MJO phase (I think it was by month or by 3 month groupings). I've lost it. Does anyone have a link for that?

RaleighWx has some on this site:

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO.html

You were probably talking about the CPC ones though:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/Composites/Temperature/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/Composites/Precipitation/

Thanks - those weren't what I lost but they'll do! I think if I recall correctly that actually it was something else Allan had out years ago based on a study he did - but Google came up with nothing.

In the meantime, I also came up with this:

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_mjo_phase_forecast.php

Anyways - Thanks!!!!

I would say about once or twice a winter we fail to get above freezing. Having said that, we very well may get above freezing on Thursday. KATL is not a very good example. In north ga, it gets in the teens every single winter. Even in that awful 2011-12 winter. I've never personally seen a winter where it didn't get below 15 degrees.

I call BS based on this...  A lot of your posts seem to get debunked....

http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_AtlantaHartsfieldIntlArpt_Atlanta_GA_February.html

I call BS based on this... A lot of your posts seem to get debunked....

http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_AtlantaHartsfieldIntlArpt_Atlanta_GA_February.html

what are you trying to prove ? You do realize there are many times I am 10-15 degrees colder than Atlanta in winter, especially when the wind is calm and skies are clear. I couldn't care less what Atlanta's minimum temp is each year. It's a totally different climate where I live than at Hartsfield so don't even compare.

what are you trying to prove ? You do realize there are many times I am 10-15 degrees colder than Atlanta in winter, especially when the wind is calm and skies are clear. I couldn't care less what Atlanta's minimum temp is each year. It's a totally different climate where I live than at Hartsfield so don't even compare.

http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_Carrollton_Carrollton_GA_January.html

um.....  You aren't correct..  just sayin.. 

Snowstorm,

Your post is very deceiving imo.The average coldest low for an entire winter at ATL going back many decades is in the middle teens. Also, keep in mind that these are often due to advective cold rather than radiational cooling.

lol, that shows the lowest temp in 2013 being 26 ( just a few degrees below average). Even Atlanta had temps lower than 26 in 2013 and my min temp in any year is going to be lower than the airport. Also, there is really not any very accurate weather data for the town I live in. Also,you do realize the elevation of a given location can vary from place to place and have an impact on Temps.

Snowstorm,

Your post is very deceiving imo.The average coldest low for an entire winter at ATL going back many decades is in the middle teens.

that's pretty Much the point I've been making. The coldest it typically gets in atl in a winter is around 15 and for areas outside Atlanta it's closer to 10.

that's pretty Much the point I've been making. The coldest it typically gets in atl in a winter is around 15 and for areas outside Atlanta it's closer to 10.

The mid teens is not the coldest it typically gets at KATL. It is the average of the coldest. That is not the same thing. There are many winters that got down to only the high teens or low 20's for the coldest. The way you were talking suggested that mid teens was pretty much always hit there.

All of this coldest in ATL in the past talk belongs in banter imo. I suggest the moderators move it there. This is getting too technical for here imo. 

The mid teens is not the coldest it typically gets at KATL. It is the average of the coldest. That is not the same thing. There are many winters that got down to only the high teens or low 20's for the coldest. The way you were talking suggested that mid teens was pretty much always hit there.

All of this belongs in banter imo. I suggest the moderators move it there.

I wasn't talking about the heat island of atl, including the airport. I was talking about rural locations.

I grew up in Georgia, and lived northwest of Atlanta many years.  I recorded temperatures for these many many years.  People that live east of the mountains don't realize how much colder it is in the north and western burbs of Atlanta.  The high temperature in Kennesaw today was 42F, and there are many days like this on that side of the state.  On many many occasions the Atlanta airport will record readings barely below freezing, but the region from Newnan north to Cartersville will see temperatures in the mid teens.  As I have said before, there were many days in the northwest burbs than didn't eclipse the 30s.  There were temperatures recorded during the "polar vortex" last year in January at or slightly below 0 in the northwest burbs and further up.   

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cartersville-ga/30120/january-weather/332425?monyr=1/1/2014&view=table

Archived