• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"I'll be out of town so you can book that storm"

Kay

I'm actually curious about what percentage it is... especially the percent of people who despise all snow and cold whatsoever.

Well, put me in the book for Snow/Cold always.

I left from Breckenridge area on Sunday night around 10 pm to be sure to make Denver airport to catch flight back to Dulles on the 22nd, missing the 20+ they got overnight and next morning (there was about 4-5 when I left), does that count? Glad I did that, because they closed I-70 for 'avalanche mitigation' at 6 am that morning, but sleeping in car at the Dunkin Donuts/Wendys/car refill place for rental returns wasn't my idea of a good nights rest. BTW, Denver got just enough to make the ground white, sorta like way things work around this area, mountains pounded, metro next to zero.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't travel in winter as a rule. The company I work for offered a month ago to fly me to their corporate headquarters outside of LA in mid-February for an all-expenses paid week, with plenty of time built in for sightseeing along with some work. I asked for that to be deferred until early April. They accepted, thankfully without asking for the reason I wanted the delay, lol.

That's dedication!

I just remembered last winter ravensrule was totally torn up about an obligatory family trip and someone (nwbaltimore?) drove around RR's neighborhood during the storm and posted pics. Only a fellow weenie can understand...

Been in Frederick Co. Va. for all the recent HECS---83,93,96,03,09-10--and last winter. Did some traveling in Feb. 95 and believe i missed a MECS, or Secs. I visited my sister at college in SC in Feb 03 and remember watching the weather all week long and then driving back just as the snow was starting.Going skiing in Banff this Jan. If i miss something, i am sure there will still be plenty of snow to enjoy in the Canadian Rockies.

That's dedication!

I just remembered last winter ravensrule was totally torn up about an obligatory family trip and someone (nwbaltimore?) drove around RR's neighborhood during the storm and posted pics. Only a fellow weenie can understand...

I feel for RR... missing an 18"+ storm is just painful. Missing two storms in 2011 and the Christmas 2012 events were bummers for me, but I was able to make up for them.... driving north in October 2011 and seeing a legit snowstorm that early was a lot of fun, even better was visiting AmyB up in Worcester county, MA in February 2013 where 27" fell.

I don't travel in winter as a rule. The company I work for offered a month ago to fly me to their corporate headquarters outside of LA in mid-February for an all-expenses paid week, with plenty of time built in for sightseeing along with some work. I asked for that to be deferred until early April. They accepted, thankfully without asking for the reason I wanted the delay, lol.

I would've requesting the same thing. I don't usually travel in winter either because I can't stand the thought of missing a decent event.

I would've requesting the same thing. I don't usually travel in winter either because I can't stand the thought of missing a decent event.

A couple years ago my girlfriend booked a trip to Hawaii for the two of us in January, 2011/12. I was so worried I would miss a good storm. Turned out I wouldn't miss a thing. That winter sucked.

Great, now we will have snow in early April

Maybe we could experiment by having say, two or more volunteers with good "miss" records go out of town deliberately sometime and see if that helps. They'd really be taking one for the team but I'm sure we can collectively send them on a super nice getaway. We could learn from this and the same people would never have to go more than once. 

post-6981-0-76617600-1419907040_thumb.jp

Maybe we could experiment by having say, two or more volunteers with good "miss" records go out of town deliberately sometime and see if that helps. They'd really be taking one for the team but I'm sure we can collectively send them on a super nice getaway. We could learn from this and the same people would never have to go more than once.

Transporter_redshirts.jpg

Lol at the red shirts! I missed the March storm in 2013 while I was in FL. What made missing the storm hard was the fact that the system that brought the cold air to MD worked it's way into FL. The temps during the week I was there were mostly in the 50's and it was windy. I think I deserve a promotion to a blue shirt for that trip...

I missed 96!  Left a day early to make a cruise and the whole time I wished I was home experiencing the storm! 

Omg, stuck on a boat! The horror.

I was on the way home from a vacation with a friend's family as the storm unfolded. We flew from Caracas to Miami as planned but DC shut down and we got hosed. Stuck there overnight +....watching massive snowstorm on tv, in freaking Miami. I won't describe the frustration because people can imagine...especially out-of-town syndrome survivors.

When we made it home roads weren't really fully recovered yet. I think I even remember patches of snow/mess on the GW Pkwy. The odyssey ended at their place in S. PA as night fell and we lurched on foot down their unusually long, deeply buried driveway with all our bags and gear. Good times. At least I did get to experience gobs and gobs of snow. 

Lol at the red shirts! I missed the March storm in 2013 while I was in FL. What made missing the storm hard was the fact that the system that brought the cold air to MD worked it's way into FL. The temps during the week I was there were mostly in the 50's and it was windy. I think I deserve a promotion to a blue shirt for that trip...

The trip itself being crappy is definitely a double dose of suck. I'll write to Starfleet on your behalf.

I missed the January 21 or 22 last year. Otherwise, I don't recall missing another. Of course, we don't have many storms to miss.

I did get in on a mid-December stem for the immediate Boston area in 2007 (something like a foot in about seven or eggy hours (a true commuter's nightmare) and an 8-10" storm in St. Louis in either January or February 2008 (2007?). I got in on a 6-10" storm in Anchorage in April 2009 or 2010 and a 3-6" one in Salt Lake City the next April. And now that I think of it, I drove through a decent snow from north of Las Vegas to Vegas itself sometime in February or March 2010 (I think).

Damn...I have a decent record! Even so, there's nothing like snow in your own backyard.

I missed the January 21 or 22 last year. Otherwise, I don't recall missing another. Of course, we don't have many storms to miss.

I did get in on a mid-December stem for the immediate Boston area in 2007 (something like a foot in about seven or eggy hours (a true commuter's nightmare) and an 8-10" storm in St. Louis in either January or February 2008 (2007?). I got in on a 6-10" storm in Anchorage in April 2009 or 2010 and a 3-6" one in Salt Lake City the next April. And now that I think of it, I drove through a decent snow from north of Las Vegas to Vegas itself sometime in February or March 2010 (I think).

Damn...I have a decent record! Even so, there's nothing like snow in your own backyard.

Hm..ever consider leading a nomadic life?

Also, I hate the eggy hours. Such a mess.

Some preliminary data:

- Fozz "wins", having missed a whopping 8 events. It appears he has some kind of superpower

- Tying for 2nd place, Eskimo Joe and MN both missed 3 events -- 2 in common, so it's pretty clear they guaranteed those

- Wes takes 3rd place with 2 events he helped deliver for the MA by going away

- Six posters missed 1 event 

- Six posters missed 0 events

- In the elite "returning early for a bust" category, NEBalti leads Ian's 1 event with 2 events

Several red and orange taggers with higher scores; only one of them in the 0 or 1 groups (0)...greater impact on weather? Coincidence?

Research continues.

I might be a tad late in posting but I am one who hasn't missed a storm since 1971. I know that sounds like I don't have much of a life but I have traveled quite a bit just got lucky on the timing. I would like to add that my mother was transported to the hospital in a fire truck (the family car, ambulance and police car all got stuck in deep snow) during the storm of Feb  1958. I was delivered later that day.

Major ouch.

My dad, my brother, and I all spent many hours watching the Weather Channel, griping about what we were missing. 

(We were in Wyoming for a funeral, so there was no choice in the matter, but it was a bit like salt in a wound to be out where the blizzards blow, but not seeing not a speck of snow on the ground or in the sky while our DC homes were getting buried.)

I might be a tad late in posting but I am one who hasn't missed a storm since 1971. I know that sounds like I don't have much of a life but I have traveled quite a bit just got lucky on the timing. I would like to add that my mother was transported to the hospital in a fire truck (the family car, ambulance and police car all got stuck in deep snow) during the storm of Feb  1958. I was delivered later that day.

:thumbsup:

Archived