• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"I'll be out of town so you can book that storm"

Kay

This comment comes up regularly so in these quiet times thought I'd ask for people's tales and maybe see how much this really happens. Possibly can determine correlation between number of weenies out of town and storms working out for the MA -- is there a threshold or is one truly dedicated weenie enough? How is the magnitude of the storm affected? Does the destination, distance, or purpose of trip matter? And other important scientific questions. As for myself, I missed (caused??)1996, more info to come. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comment comes up regularly so in these quiet times thought I'd ask for people's tales and maybe see how much this really happens. Possibly can determine correlation between number of weenies out of town and storms working out for the MA -- is there a threshold or is one truly dedicated weenie enough? How is the magnitude of the storm affected? Does the destination, distance, or purpose of trip matter? And other important scientific questions. As for myself, I missed (caused??)1996, more info to come. 

Personally, I blame the CWG comment section. The Snow Bros were overthrown by "mildists" and the comment section hasn't been as weenie-ish as it was last year....

Storms I missed while out of town:

Christmas 2002... that was a nice one... 6-7" from a burst on Christmas morning

12/14/2003.... 3-4" snow to rain. meh

12/31/2009.... 2" or so, but I was home for the HECS so no big deal

Christmas week 2012... I was desperate for snow by then so that one was a little rough to miss

January 21, 2014... 7-9" of very cold snow

Storms I missed due to being in college:

1/26/2011. 14" at home, 4" of slop at UMD

2/21/2011. 5" at home, cartopper at UMD

Storms I missed by staying home:

2/3/2014. 6" of snow at Millersville, slop at home. 

Storms I missed while out of town:

Christmas 2002... that was a nice one... 6-7" from a burst on Christmas morning

12/14/2003.... 3-4" snow to rain. meh

12/31/2009.... 2" or so, but I was home for the HECS so no big deal

Christmas week 2012... I was desperate for snow by then so that one was a little rough to miss

January 21, 2014... 7-9" of very cold snow

Storms I missed due to being in college:

1/26/2011. 14" at home, 4" of slop at UMD

2/21/2011. 5" at home, cartopper at UMD

Storms I missed by staying home:

2/3/2014. 6" of snow at Millersville, slop at home. 

Warrants further study for sure.

I don't travel in winter as a rule. The company I work for offered a month ago to fly me to their corporate headquarters outside of LA in mid-February for an all-expenses paid week, with plenty of time built in for sightseeing along with some work. I asked for that to be deferred until early April. They accepted, thankfully without asking for the reason I wanted the delay, lol.

Like Ian, cut my Christmas trip short (Nashville) to get back ahead of the Boxing Day storm.

Flew in that morning as flurries started. Never progressed past flurries.

Ooops.

My MIL was still living in Salisbury at the time. She was visiting us for Christmas and was to stay a few days, but we told her she needed to go home cause it was going to snow a lot and we didn't want her to get stuck at our place. She never made it home, made it to a friends house Christmas night and stayed there for two days. 

Oops. 

Archived