joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IVT's are modeled much, much more often than they actually appear.

Which is very true, And if you happen to get one, They don't typically end up as modeled, This has more to do with the s/w in the northern stream trying to tug this one back late or snow just from that as the southern stream runs out ahead of it on some of the GFS runs

Well ... as I discussed with you all three days ago ... wanted(want) to see this inside of D4.5 this particular go around, because of the high numbers of waves shorter than rosby scale ... vying for proxy in the flow, interfering; recall: the ECMWF technique of normalizing for perturbation might not be the right approach for enhanced nebularity.  That philosophical approach appears to be supported, with latest Euro operational runs backing off the stem-wound bomb nor-easter....

That said, yeah ..there's likely to be an "event" of sort around the 21st... The 12z operational GFS has a negatively tilted weak to midland caliber wave passing over the area, and that should put out a bit of QPF (ptype not withstanding.  

XMass event is for real... Euro appears west biased as usual for this sort of time lead; which isn't to say the GFS is outright the leader here, but the teleconnectors starting to lean toward favored east solutions for that time frame.  

Interesting Met to follow...  21st could still come in stronger as we see more relay off the Pac over the next couple of runs, but I am starting to suspect the latter becomes dominant.  we'll see.

I did wonder about that Tip, that the Xmas system might be the bigger one afterall...whether rain or snow...but a bigger more powerful system than the 21st perhaps.  Hey, I hope most of us SNE people can pick up a little white with one of these, I'm not greedy...I'll take 2-4 inches of snow.

I did wonder about that Tip, that the Xmas system might be the bigger one afterall...whether rain or snow...but a bigger more powerful system than the 21st perhaps. Hey, I hope most of us SNE people can pick up a little white with one of these, I'm not greedy...I'll take 2-4 inches of snow.

At this point, yea. But I live for the guns, I want to stuff my face in a huge pie not be sliced and diced with small appetizers.

At this point, yea. But I live for the guns, I want to stuff my face in a huge pie not be sliced and diced with small appetizers.

Oh believe me, I would love for the Big Kahuna to show up and pay a nice long visit too...Nothing better than that.  But if we can't seem to get that to work, I'd be ok with a more modest event to put us in a nice mood.  But I am hoping for 1 big blockbuster this season....you know the 12-18+ type of storm!!!  

Another possibility to note is sort of a late blooming curl back like some guidance has. That too is possible as the s/w races in and tries to tug it back last second.

mm late phase then some backing, perhaps.  But I'd like to see a more depressed NAO for a 'tuck-and-latter' scenario.  Nothing's impossible though -

Which is very true, And if you happen to get one, They don't typically end up as modeled, This has more to do with the s/w in the northern stream trying to tug this one back late or snow just from that as the southern stream runs out ahead of it on some of the GFS runs

Don't get me wrong, you can do remarkably well if you end up under one, but they really are featured on guidance a hell of a lot more often than they even appear, much less appear as indicated.

I'd only half-bank on seeing one if it's on there within 24 hours of expected appearance, otherwise, they're practically not worth mention in my opinion, for the reason mentioned herein.

FWIW(and I really have no idea, supposedly they're decent but I don't see them used much), the CMC ensembles are well NW of it's operational run.

12z GEFS looked pretty meh, but there's a good amount of spread in both directions it looks like.

12z EURO out to 81 looks like it's trying to split the GOA vortex, but might be too little too late. We'll see. 

Don't get me wrong, you can do remarkably well if you end up under one, but they really are featured on guidance a hell of a lot more often than they even appear, much less appear as indicated.

I'd only half-bank on seeing one if it's on there within 24 hours of expected appearance, otherwise, they're practically not worth mention in my opinion, for the reason mentioned herein.

And they tend to be so narrow when they do show up. Some notable exceptions of course, but I hate to rely on them

2" and some blue tint at dusk, with flurries in the air is all the post-card I need. 

Unless there is some real shot at breaking a snow depth record (and for me ...that means sustaining a snow pack between two successive systems), I think I've outgrown the lust for 20" storms.  They just get in the way now that I own a home, drive to work, consult at different University campus'... egh.  I'd take 30, 4" storms with no melting... That would cool lookin'!

But, cheers!   Weather is here to placate one's fantasies.  

Nothing is wrong with a small event with advisory amounts...unless you were getting emotionally invested in a 168 hour solution a couple days ago. If that's the case then you are in the wrong hobby.

I wouldn't be spiking footballs on a 120 hour solution either.

2" and some blue tint at dusk, with flurries in the air is all the post-card I need. 

Unless there is some real shot at breaking a snow depth record (and for me ...that means sustaining a snow pack between two successive systems), I think I've outgrown the lust for 20" storms.  They just get in the way now that I own a home, drive to work, consult at different University campus'... egh.  I'd take 30, 4" storms with no melting... That would cool lookin'!

But, cheers!   Weather is here to placate one's fantasies.  

Make it 6" and I'll buy! Let's see 180" on the ground.. It would look like Paradise Ranger Station.... but back to topic...what's coming, if it plays out might not be too bad...

Unless there is some real shot at breaking a snow depth record (and for me ...that means sustaining a snow pack between two successive systems), I think I've outgrown the lust for 20" storms. They just get in the way now that I own a home, drive to work, consult at different University campus'... egh. I'd take 30, 4" storms with no melting... That would cool lookin'!

But, cheers! Weather is here to placate one's fantasies.

I call BS on any poster on this board that claims they have outgrown the 20"+ storms. No offense Tippy, you'd be waxing poetically with everyone else if the ECM just delivered a 2.0" QPF blue bomb.

Archived