joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, while things remain quiet weather-wise, figured I'd mention that I'm now officially a PSU alum :) Graduated Saturday and back at home for at least the near future; but I'll still be posting in this forum b/c I'm definitely closer with this gang than Philly-area's. ^^

Congrats!!! That's an awesome accomplishment. I have one semester left. Did you get a Met degree?

Thanks - unfortunately, I did not. I was a Meteo student but the math overwhelmed me...Calculus II was my endgame. Finished with a History degree (#2 interest) which is obviously not as good.

Still, you have a degree from PennState. That's quite an accomplishment and something to be be proud of. Congrats!!!

Well, while things remain quiet weather-wise, figured I'd mention that I'm now officially a PSU alum :) Graduated Saturday and back at home for at least the near future; but I'll still be posting in this forum b/c I'm definitely closer with this gang than Philly-area's. ^^

Congrats...get your red tag if you got a met degree!

21/20 here at Millersville with Mainly Clear skies. Could be a bit slippery tomorrow in spots with light precip on very cold ground.

Edit: 20/19 now. Calm wind. Over performing on the radiational cooling tonight

We bottomed out at 15° early this morning, quite a bit colder than I was expecting.  A heavy frost on everything, and it looks like there was some freezing fog in the valley just to the north.

Got down to 16 with a thick frost and awesome smell of the paper mill.....

Got down to 18 here Joe with heavy frost. I'm liking the prospects of some freezing drizzle in the lower counties with some freezing rain pockets later on in the valleys. Temperature is climbing, but that cloud deck to the south is almost here. I think near freezing would the play air temp wise. The ground, outside of main roads, are still pretty cold. I'd watch out for patches of ice once precip kicks in.

Repeat of 2012 - 2013 more likely.  No blocking, poorly timed cold shots.

We succeeded without blocking via the NAO last winter with major Pacific assistance (a positive PNA and strongly -EPO). This support hasn't been prevalent especially this month specifically with the EPO, which went more positive after being strongly negative for a good portion of November...taking the cold air in Canada away. I personally think the EPO at a notable + or - value has a greater say about the sensible weather in our region than the NAO. The PNA has remained positive for the most part (and very much so the week of the cutoff storm), but our cold air has been significantly limited and thus we've been given some very marginal storms despite some decently tracked ones. Teleconnection forecasts have looked more tempered the last couple days, with PNA, EPO, and NAO looking more neutral than anything instead of the NAO and EPO making a decided dive into negative territory. Thus, we might end up with a slower progression of cold air towards us and the boundary line between some snow events and more rainy misery being very close to our region. 

12z EURO has no snow for 12/31 - 1/1.  Major cold on the west coast with 850 temps of -20 to -25 across western Kansas and eastern Colorado.  Big surge of warm air looking to infiltrate the eastern US after HR 192.

Yeah...and the "King's" just been killin it lately.... :popcorn:

Pattern looks to be transitioning to one of opportunities.  As discussed in other forums, with no real blocking and the progressive nature of things, its going to be inside 72 till your going to be able to see whats coming down the pike.  

I'm betting that after Christmas, Santa may have a gift or 2 for us.  Things are looking better anyway...

Merry Christmas to all my CPA peeps!!

Nut

I honestly don't care what the models say for early next week until this weekend at the earliest. As long as they keep flipping around, it's best to just enjoy the holiday and not be too concerned. I'll say this, until the Pacific is resolved, it will not favor the east coast. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!!

Archived