joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday/Night Storm Obs

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all been a lurker since the wwb days. Location is NE Wilmington MA. Not much I can add to the great information provided by our local board members so I read and digest. But would like to verify we are 98% snow here. Coming down lightly at the moment.

You're  on the Andover side...I'm right near the Billerica line.

Man, whoever hangs onto the nw side of the sleet line from orh to southern maine is gonna get absolutely croaked. hrrr is impressive.

Love it.  I'm feeling good about this one here.  Started with snow instead of rain and right into 1"/hr snow even as the temp fell through the 30's.

What's the ZDR for good dendrites?

Usually they're mixed with aggregates (more spherical particles) so that lowers the overall ZDR. Anything over 1 dB with reflectivity over 15 dBz is pretty good. As the number of aggregates increases however, reflectivity will increase, bringing ZDR close to zero dB, even with the same dendrite concentration. KDP is helpful because it's not effect much by the aggregates and is related to the concentration of dendrites or plates. For the WSR-88D radars (S-band), KDP over 0.5 deg/km or so is a pretty good indication of solid dendritic growth (and some ZDR enhancement).

X-band radars are more sensitive to KDP but are pretty much only used for research purposes.

Usually they're mixed with aggregates (more spherical particles) so that lowers the overall ZDR. Anything over 1 dB with reflectivity over 15 dBz is pretty good. As the number of aggregates increases however, reflectivity will increase, bringing ZDR close to zero dB, even with the same dendrite concentration. KDP is helpful because it's not effect much by the aggregates and is related to the concentration of dendrites or plates. For the WSR-88D radars (S-band), KDP over 0.5 deg/km or so is a pretty good indication of solid dendritic growth (and some ZDR enhancement).

X-band radars are more sensitive to KDP but are pretty much only used for research purposes.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Archived