12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 22-25 Storm Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was this the event that was blizzard warned that busted hard in LOT cwa? All theae rain to snow events run together in my mind:

Regardless, these never seem to go as modeled, so I am figuring I will likely see mood flakes with maybe a quick hitting inch.

Yeah the low ended up tracking right up over Chicago IIRC. 

This has been a pretty tricky system for the models so far, due to the phasing etc.  The 00z Euro changed quite a bit with today's rainfall compared to numerous runs that looked pretty similar.  That was sort of a last second change, so even though we're less than 24hrs from the event I'm still not very confident.  Gonna keep riding my 1-2" call for here, but may have to bump it up a bit if we continue to see similar runs to the NAM/00z Euro.

Geos, looking forward to the 12z run and its simulated radar that will be out in a couple hours.

It has been entertaining how the models were all over the place this time yesterday and now they're all coming together.

Close up maps of what the 4km NAM showed. It would be awesome if somehow Cyclone could pull off a 6" snowfall from this... in November of all times.

rain to snow wrap around events have a long history of underperforming, especially on the heels of heavy rain

i'd temper expectations for anything more than an inch or two

I would be careful too and be guarded in expectations. Can this system surprise the Chicago area with a good hit, it is possible. At this point I would have an expectation of 2" at this point and if anything higher comes consider it bonus.

It will be interesting to see the freezing line march in from the south and west vs. north and west for this system. 

For example... western and southwest suburbs of Chicago will be ripping snow before Milwaukee will be.

attachicon.gifhires_t2m_chicago_33.png

attachicon.gifhires_ref_chicago_33.png

Yep, but the models linger the snow up here longer, so it's more due to the low movement and the almost south to north movement of the defo zone than anything.

Man, these models are struggling. More changes on the 12z Euro. Parts of NC Wisconsin were high and dry on the 0z run...and are now getting a good hit of snow with the 12z run. Overall, the snow field has moved NW. Still some Chicago love, but western/northwest suburbs are better.

EDIT: GRB went from under an inch on the 0z run to 6"+ on the 12z run. :lol:

Man, these models are struggling. More changes on the 12z Euro. Parts of NC Wisconsin were high and dry on the 0z run...and are now getting a good hit of snow with the 12z run. Overall, the snow field has moved NW. Still some Chicago love, but western/northwest suburbs are better.

EDIT: GRB went from under an inch on the 0z run to 6"+ on the 12z run. :lol:

Seeing a NW outlier is ok, it was a tad concerning if all the models continued to shift SE.  Time to factor in the hi-res models first and foremost anyway.

After reviewing 12z models, I'm thinking we will have wind gusts of 40-45 mph here tomorrow with some potential for a window of gusts near 50 mph.  Best timeframe should be roughly mid-morning until early evening.  Farther east still looks worse unless mixing/momentum transfer is overdone.

That's a nice map, Bo. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

btw, I missed the discussion on getting rid of the other thread. I'm sure it was filled with the few board nazis on here who always rant until they get their own way. Sorry it was such a thorn on the thread.

thx man, I have a buddy that runs them for me.

I think it was just a way to consolidate all the talk into one thread.

thx man, I have a buddy that runs them for me.

I think it was just a way to consolidate all the talk into one thread.

Alright. Sometimes it is hard to sift through different types of discussions. Some like talking about the severe aspects, others the wind, others the snow, etc... I am a winter weather man, so that is the part I'm interested in discussing. I've had that conversation on here in the past, but sort of get yelled at or mocked for even trying to have a separate thread for winter weather. Ah, well. I guess that's the way this board runs.

I was checking out webcams for up da U.P. and it looks like this system is even causing a lot of ugly slop up there too.

Archived