• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
November 22-25 Storm Discussion

Hoosier

Encouraging Euro run for northern IL in regards to snow. 

Power outages might become a pretty significant issue Monday as the rain quickly changes over to wet snow and sticks to everything.  The strong winds and caking snow to power lines/trees should keep the power crews busy.  The Dec '12 event resulted in significant power outages from a similar situation. 

YIkes! Grand Rapids NWS makes it sound like it will take quite a while for the rain to change over to snow completely. One would think if there were some strong dynamics in place it would change over rather quickly like you're advertising. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YIkes! Grand Rapids NWS makes it sound like it will take quite a while for the rain to change over to snow completely. One would think if there were some strong dynamics in place it would change over rather quickly like you're advertising. 

Yeah it's looking like it could go from moderate/heavy rainfall right over to wet snow quite quickly out this way.  You wouldn't think with the winds so strong that the snow would stick to much, but in a quick changeover situation we've seen it plaster to everything immediately, and then freeze.  Back in Dec '12 the snow plastered everything, even with 50-60mph winds lol.  Making sure everything is charged up today. 

Yeah it's looking like it could go from moderate/heavy rainfall right over to wet snow quite quickly out this way.  You wouldn't think with the winds so strong that the snow would stick to much, but in a quick changeover situation we've seen it plaster to everything immediately, and then freeze.  Back in Dec '12 the snow plastered everything, even with 50-60mph winds lol.  Making sure everything is charged up today. 

I love the plastered look! It's like a work of art.

What are the specific dates for the Dec '12 event? Was that right around Christmas?

Being that the storm is going to last longer than just to the 24th, and there will be a whole different part to this storm, I figured this might be a good place to talk about the deformation band specifically, and "current" conditions that occur with it.

Right now, Southern WI, northern IL, and Northern/Western Lower Michigan are looking good.

I love the plastered look! It's like a work of art.

What are the specific dates for the Dec '12 event? Was that right around Christmas?

It was 12/20/12

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=50&interval=5&year=2012&month=12&day=20&hour=8&minute=0

Haha. I don't think so. I have told myself before winter started to totally disregard the NAM unless within 24 hours. ^_^

There are times the NAM can see the trends but boy can it really suck with details.

How is you snowpack doing?  My 7" depth yesterday morn is just down to a couple piles & half melted snowmen :frostymelt:  today.

Haha, checking out that radar is exactly what I was going to do. Ew, that storm was such a letdown around here. We were supposed to get several inches from different parts of it, and didn't really get anything but lots of rain and wind.

Was this the event that was blizzard warned that busted hard in LOT cwa? All theae rain to snow events run together in my mind:

Regardless, these never seem to go as modeled, so I am figuring I will likely see mood flakes with maybe a quick hitting inch.

Was this the event that was blizzard warned that busted hard in LOT cwa? All theae rain to snow events run together in my mind:

Regardless, these never seem to go as modeled, so I am figuring I will likely see mood flakes with maybe a quick hitting inch.

Yes. It ended up being lots of heavy rain for areas that were supposed to get great snows. That was the "Madison Winter".

Archived