joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 22-25 Storm Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get to experience 60 MPH wind gusts very often. Just an amazing display of wind here all afternoon. I'm really quite surprised that there hasn't been more wind damage reported. It could be because the gusts were more like waves, with speeds increasing from 35 to 50 over several seconds, rather than a solid blast of increased speeds, such as one would see with t-storm related winds.

I don't get to experience 60 MPH wind gusts very often. Just an amazing display of wind here all afternoon. I'm really quite surprised that there hasn't been more wind damage reported. It could be because the gusts were more like waves, with speeds increasing from 35 to 50 over several seconds, rather than a solid blast of increased speeds, such as one would see with t-storm related winds.

Yeah, that had to be pretty wild! I like the waves comparison. I think hoosier brought up a day or so ago how a lack of leaves could possibly soften the blow when it comes to any tree/limb damage. We had a couple good gusts today that brought a nice howl as the air moved through the leafless branches.

Wow, was that the highest one so far?

They were experiencing a thunderstorm at the time of this report.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

303 PM EST MON NOV 24 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0707 AM TSTM WND GST 3 N COLUMBUS 39.25N 85.91W

11/24/2014 M69 MPH BARTHOLOMEW IN AWOS

DELAYED REPORT.

What is your depth at now?

Northern Lower took a major hit, I want to be p-ssed about it, but it's pretty typical for the 3rd week of November.

I was checking out webcams of the U.P. earlier today and was surprised to see how much snow they lost. Marquette's snowpack really went down.

I'm sure they'll quickly replace it.

Driving the 10 miles to Kenosha took about 30 minutes. Roads are more icy than slushy. Wind is complicating driving. Looks like a winter wonderland with everything snow encased.

Is this your first snow cover of the season? I wasn't paying much attention to your area last week with all the action going on here in MI. lol

Is this your first snow cover of the season? I wasn't paying much attention to your area last week with all the action going on here in MI. lol

First time the roads got to a typical winter icy mess. 2.0" here for the total. Everything is covered over and plastered with snow.

And 1.03" of rain. +0.2" of water from the snow.

Wish we would've gotten in on those higher winds here. 

What if the sub 970 mb GFS solutions verified or we had a stronger high pressure/gradient.  :yikes:

0554 PM NON-TSTM WND GST 5 S CANTON 42.24N 83.49W

11/24/2014 M68.00 MPH WAYNE MI TRAINED SPOTTER

SEVERAL LARGE TREE LIMBS DOWNED...SHINGLES TORN OFF

ROOFS.

I believe it. I saw power lines down all over the place and several decent size branches blew out of the tree in my front yard, which is slightly more impressive than it would be if it was still leafed out. I'm actually REALLY glad all of the leaves are long gone or this might have been another lengthy power outage.

Edit: 130,000+ without power in the metro area tonight, pretty huge numbers for a non-thunderstorm event.

Summary of peak wind gusts yesterday across Southern Ontario

WINDSOR           56 MPH
CHATHAM-KENT      63 MPH
LONDON            62 MPH
KITCHENER         63 MPH
ELORA             51 MPH
PORT COLBORNE     61 MPH
ST CATHARINES     63 MPH
VINELAND          59 MPH
HAMILTON          61 MPH
TORONTO PEARSON   61 MPH
TORONTO ISLAND    61 MPH