• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Total New England Snow Table

Kevin W

Anyone have the final numbers for any of these sites easily accessible?

Projected Seasonal Snowfall for Winter 2014-'15

Boston, MA 65-75"......110.3"

New York, NY  35-45".......

Philadelphia, PA 30-40"........

Baltimore, MD 15-25"..........

Washington, DC 15-20"......

Albany, NY 70-80"........

Hartford, CT 65-75"........

Providence, RI 65-75".......

Worcester, MA 80-90".......

Tolland, CT 70-80".......107"

KGAY- 90-100"........115.5"

Burlington, VT 80-90"

Portland, ME 85-95"

Concord, NH 75-85"

Nice call for BTV... 83.4".  Almost dead on normal there (its either 78" or 82", I've heard both depending on the climo period used).

Same with ALB... 75.9". 

Portland just sneaks in with 94.5". 

So you got all three of those sites nailed.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice call for BTV... 83.4".  Almost dead on normal there (its either 78" or 82", I've heard both depending on the climo period used).

Same with ALB... 75.9". 

Portland just sneaks in with 94.5". 

So you got all three of those sites nailed.

Thanks, PF....looks as though I did well in NNE, but was too light in SNE, but got the distribution correct.

Projected Seasonal Snowfall for Winter 2014-'15

Boston, MA 65-75"......110.3"

New York, NY  35-45"....... (JFK)44.2", (CP)50.3", (LGA)53.8"

Philadelphia, PA 30-40"........27"

Baltimore, MD 15-25"..........28.7"

Washington, DC 15-20"......18.3"

Albany, NY 70-80"........75.9"

Hartford, CT 65-75"........63.8"

Providence, RI 65-75".......76.2"

Worcester, MA 80-90".......119.5"

Tolland, CT 70-80".......107"

KGAY- 90-100"........115.5"

Burlington, VT 80-90"......83.4"

Portland, ME 85-95".......94.5"

Concord, NH 75-85".....92.1"

This is how I verified.

Not bad....I nailed it north of KCON, NH over to KALB.....pretty low over eastern 2/3 of sne. Just missed Concord, NH.

Just missed from KHFD and KPVD (a hair too low) south to Bal, where I was a modicum too high.

I nailed DC.

I obviously feel as though e MA was a bit of a fluke in that everything went right during that three weeks.

I also didn't have the resolution to discern that the coastal areas would get the e MA jackpot, though I did predict e MA to jackpot in general.

TF Green is pretty far south and on the water. It's an awful place to measure. The city of PVD probably got 15" more.

Aside from the horrible location, the airport there has long been suspected of low balling. So if they lowballed by 6-8" that adds up too.

There were definitely some events that favored further east of them in SE ma too.

TF Green is pretty far south and on the water. It's an awful place to measure. The city of PVD probably got 15" more.

Aside from the horrible location, the airport there has long been suspected of low balling. So if they lowballed by 6-8" that adds up too.

There were definitely some events that favored further east of them in SE ma too.

Yea, of course....but I figured there was more to it.

Thanks for the info.

A valiant effort by Scoot to knock jspin off the throne.

That Weymouth total is really quite insane… 128.0” south of Boston!  That has got to be some amazing percentage of mean snowfall, and it would be interesting to know how many S.D. above normal that is.  In the nine seasons that I’ve been collecting data at our location, there have been two seasons that didn’t even reach 128”.  There are often seasons where certain parts of the region will start out ahead of the spine of the Northern Greens on snowfall due to localized early season events (like the October snow bomb, etc.), but once this area gets rolling, it’s hard to beat the consistency of snowfall provided by both synoptic and mesoscale events.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a low elevation location in SNE pull ahead of this area’s snowfall during the heart of winter, but the Boston area was nuts this season; there was a time during midwinter where snowfall down there was greater than it was up here.

That Weymouth total is really quite insane… 128.0” south of Boston! That has got to be some amazing percentage of mean snowfall, and it would be interesting to know how many S.D. above normal that is. In the nine seasons that I’ve been collecting data at our location, there have been two seasons that didn’t even reach 128”. There are often seasons where certain parts of the region will start out ahead of the spine of the Northern Greens on snowfall due to localized early season events (like the October snow bomb, etc.), but once this area gets rolling, it’s hard to beat the consistency of snowfall provided by both synoptic and mesoscale events. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a low elevation location in SNE pull ahead of this area’s snowfall during the heart of winter, but the Boston area was nuts this season; there was a time during midwinter where snowfall down there was greater than it was up here.

That's a total I feel good about as well. Last year was tough getting used to the new place and where to measure, but this year I was more comfortable measuring. It's a windy place.

My totals are very close to the Hingham COOP except in 2 larger storms where I think he only measured once a day. A couple of early season storms helped out this area by about 2" as well. There were also a couple of mesoscale bands that really helped out. We played around with the coastal front in a few storms which boost totals. If it's cold, this area will do well with NE winds.

Perhaps a bigger SD is down where Bob is. He averages a bit less than I do and had 118" I believe.

Eventually when I have more time and money, I'd like to get a legit COOP operation going here. Your obs and attention detail are excellent to say the least. Same with Dendrite.

That Weymouth total is really quite insane… 128.0” south of Boston!  That has got to be some amazing percentage of mean snowfall, and it would be interesting to know how many S.D. above normal that is.  In the nine seasons that I’ve been collecting data at our location, there have been two seasons that didn’t even reach 128”.  There are often seasons where certain parts of the region will start out ahead of the spine of the Northern Greens on snowfall due to localized early season events (like the October snow bomb, etc.), but once this area gets rolling, it’s hard to beat the consistency of snowfall provided by both synoptic and mesoscale events.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a low elevation location in SNE pull ahead of this area’s snowfall during the heart of winter, but the Boston area was nuts this season; there was a time during midwinter where snowfall down there was greater than it was up here.

Man, looking at how you've compiled that 126"+...that must be about the most boring way possible to tally that much snow.

Two real events.

That would send me right onto the highway to relocate.

Man, looking at how you've compiled that 126"+...that must be about the most boring way possible to tally that much snow.

Two real events.

That would send me right onto the highway to relocate.

Yeah, I can definitely relate; it’s often very frustrating.  It’s funny that you bring it up though, because after four subpar seasons in a row up here, the winters have been feeling sort of monotonous, and we’ve been considering a relocation down to the South Shore area where some of my wife’s family lives.  I turns out that we’re not alone with respect to this sort of conundrum.  While the larger story in Vermont is the exodus of twenty somethings looking for greater employment opportunities in larger metropolitan areas, there’s also been another efflux of people leaving because of the climate.  More and more people are simply leaving because they’re realizing how banal the winters are.  When the Chamber of Commerce sets up their survey checkpoints on the highway to get feedback from the droves relocating to other regional locales, the typical exchange goes something like this:

Chamber of Commerce Representative: “Sir, may I ask why you’re moving away from the area?”

Disillusioned Citizen:  “Sure, no problem, happy to help.  You see, I’m sort of a ‘winter weather weenie’, and I moved up here to the Northern Greens because I heard that it was the snowiest place in all of eastern North America.  It hasn’t really worked out though; the wintry ‘vibe’ around here isn’t really cutting it for me, what with the six months of winter, hundreds of inches of snow, deep snowpack, several dozen snowstorms a season, etc.  I’m sort of looking for a place where I can cut my snowfall down to a fraction of what I’m getting now, pack the winter into a one month period, and enjoy fantasy snowstorms on the weather models for the other five months so I’m not so… you know… ‘bored’ all the time.”

Chamber of Commerce Representative: “Totally understood, we get that all the time.  Have a safe trip, we hope you come back and visit for some skiing!”

Yeah, I can definitely relate; it’s often very frustrating.  It’s funny that you bring it up though, because after four subpar seasons in a row up here, the winters have been feeling sort of monotonous, and we’ve been considering a relocation down to the South Shore area where some of my wife’s family lives.  I turns out that we’re not alone with respect to this sort of conundrum.  While the larger story in Vermont is the exodus of twenty somethings looking for greater employment opportunities in larger metropolitan areas, there’s also been another efflux of people leaving because of the climate.  More and more people are simply leaving because they’re realizing how banal the winters are.  When the Chamber of Commerce sets up their survey checkpoints on the highway to get feedback from the droves relocating to other regional locales, the typical exchange goes something like this:

Chamber of Commerce Representative: “Sir, may I ask why you’re moving away from the area?”

Disillusioned Citizen:  “Sure, no problem, happy to help.  You see, I’m sort of a ‘winter weather weenie’, and I moved up here to the Northern Greens because I heard that it was the snowiest place in all of eastern North America.  It hasn’t really worked out though; the wintry ‘vibe’ around here isn’t really cutting it for me, what with the six months of winter, hundreds of inches of snow, deep snowpack, several dozen snowstorms a season, etc.  I’m sort of looking for a place where I can cut my snowfall down to a fraction of what I’m getting now, pack the winter into a one month period, and enjoy fantasy snowstorms on the weather models for the other five months so I’m not so… you know… ‘bored’ all the time.”

Chamber of Commerce Representative: “Totally understood, we get that all the time.  Have a safe trip, we hope you come back and visit for some skiing!”

LOL.

As you know, the last three winters are not the normal down here. Not sure how realistic your relocation comment was, but don't expect 80+ " of year and winter tempests as the norm. :lol: Sounds like you are in a good spot anyways...your time to get on the + side for departures will come soon.

LOL.

As you know, the last three winters are not the normal down here. Not sure how realistic your relocation comment was, but don't expect 80+ " of year and winter tempests as the norm. :lol: Sounds like you are in a good spot anyways...your time to get on the + side for departures will come soon.

whoosh

Archived