joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Total New England Snow Table

Kevin W

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. I know how bad you wanted that record and understandably so.

So, that's why I asked.

I would have loved both just to put the cherry on top, but '96 didn't compare to this.

This winter was akin to an olympic power lifter, '96 was a high endurance gymnist...more reps, but not the same power.

The funny thing is you guys were so close to 1995-96 down there...but up here 1995-96 was worlds better looking at the stats.

So far this season what I'm seeing for Mansfield Coop total is 142.9" but that seems excessively low so I'll have to check.

1995-1996 is listed as 309.6". So double the amount of snow in that winter. But the Coop snowfall records are very shady and suspect overall. One event earlier in March on the mountain had 13" at my 3000ft board over 2 days while they reported 2.5".

The difference between 1995-1996 and this winter is pretty ridiculous up here it looks like.  You guys have close snowfall totals to that season, but certainly not up here as far as this goes, lol.

attachicon.gifStake_totals.png

I've said before that on a macro level, this winter doesn't sniff the jock of 1996. No season does, really.

It's in a league of it's on for large scale impact.

This season was incredible in a relatively small chunk of of real estate.....this season was Camille, 1996 was Katrina or Hugo....

I've said before that on a macro level, this winter doesn't sniff the jock of 1996. No season does, really.

It's in a league of it's on for large scale impact.

This season was incredible in a relatively small chunk of of real estate.....this season was Camille, 1996 was Katrina or Hugo....

you might be surprised at the percent above normal snow in the NE

This isn't close to 1995-1996 though for widespread above normal snow.

All I meant...this was a good to great, solidly above average season from VA to ME....just that the departures aren't anywhere close to those of '96 outside of southern and eastern NE.

If the NAO/AO had been negative and/or ENSO stronger, different  story.

96 while good for the numbers fetishes was filled with melts and sloppy days.

Yeah I wasn't up here for that winter obviously but it doesn't look like it was that bad up here for melts. Snowpack stayed above normal all season...but not all that different from this season considering twice the snowfall in 95-96. It did max at like 130" at the stake in April though that year.

I gotta imagine that winter would've blown this one out of the water in the NW quad of New England.

Yeah I wasn't up here for that winter obviously but it doesn't look like it was that bad up here for melts. Snowpack stayed above normal all season...but not all that different from this season considering twice the snowfall in 95-96. It did max at like 130" at the stake in April though that year.

I gotta imagine that winter would've blown this one out of the water in the NW quad of New England.

crushed, I skied like a mofo in VT

96 while good for the numbers fetishes was filled with melts and sloppy days.

Down here, agreed.

Like I said, I enjoyed '15

more....but I think parts of NNE and NYC points south would beg to differ.

Numbers don't matter if it's like 20" in areas that average 50-60"........but when it's like 30-40"+ in areas that average 15-25"...yea, it def. matters.

NNE didin't have the epic melt that we did.

Down here, agreed.

Like I said, I enjoyed '96 more....but I think parts of NNE and NYC points south would beg to differ.

Numbers don't matter if it's like 20" in areas that average 50-60"........but when it's like 30-40"+ in areas that average 15-25"...yea, it def. matters.

NNE didin't have the epic melt that we did.

oweing to the veracity of this winter versus 96 places like Bridgton Maine were melted out at the end of March , this year 17 otg. Places like Mt Mansfield however peaked on April 18th with 135 inches OTG, very much elevation dependent in a high qpf warmer winter

oweing to the veracity of this winter versus 96 places like Bridgton Maine were melted out at the end of March , this year 17 otg. Places like Mt Mansfield however peaked on April 18th with 135 inches OTG, very much elevation dependent in a high qpf warmer winter

Like I said, some places in NNE did better....but some over toward VT did not.

No one from NYC southward did.

This winter was colder, absolutely.

Archived