joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Total New England Snow Table

Kevin W

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter definitely just died out here this year. We are now only 4 inches above the norm and 3 inches behind last year on the same date.

And last year was rough.

NNE (or at least the northern third of New England) has been in a bit of a slump lately. Just keep banking karma haha. It'll come back big one of these winters.

The thing up here is that when we are near average but further south is way above average it at least still snows sometimes. The winters where we do great with the best snow anomalies usually means somewhere to our south really has a poor winter. If we get into a storm track or the baroclinic boundary is up here, creating a NNE winter, I think that is rougher for points south than these current types of SNE-jackpot winters are for us (if that makes any sense).

And last year was rough.

NNE (or at least the northern third of New England) has been in a bit of a slump lately. Just keep banking karma haha. It'll come back big one of these winters.

The thing up here is that when we are near average but further south is way above average it at least still snows sometimes. The winters where we do great with the best snow anomalies usually means somewhere to our south really has a poor winter. If we get into a storm track or the baroclinic boundary is up here, creating a NNE winter, I think that is rougher for points south than these current types of SNE-jackpot winters are for us (if that makes any sense).

It makes a lot of sense. It is tough for both areas to do well.

Died out here about 1.5 months ago.

Unless you were on like a POU/NYC to GINX to TAN line, this winter definitely just checked out in like mid-February as far as widespread snow events go.

There was a time in mid-February where it looked like it was going to become really favorable for CNE/NNE, especially with a seasonal progression, but instead the progression went south, lol. Like James was playing puppeteer of the atmosphere.

Unless you were on like a POU/NYC to GINX to TAN line, this winter definitely just checked out in like mid-February as far as widespread snow events go.

There was a time in mid-February where it looked like it was going to become really favorable for CNE/NNE, especially with a seasonal progression, but instead the progression went south, lol. Like James was playing puppeteer of the atmosphere.

LOL..no it didn't. Mass pike north perhaps..but not nearly as far south as your line. Big events sure..but it snowed a lot in March

LOL..no it didn't. Mass pike north perhaps..but not nearly as far south as your line. Big events sure..but it snowed a lot in March

The largest March snow anomalies were on that line. POU to IJD to TAN.

You are LOL'ing over the difference of one county line north. Sorry you got offended that you weren't included on that line. But the biggest anomalies were south of you :lol:

The largest March snow anomalies were on that line. POU to IJD to TAN.

You are LOL'ing over the difference of one county line north. Sorry you got offended that you weren't included on that line. But the biggest anomalies were south of you :lol:

You said widespread snow didn't happen north of that ridiculous line .. Lol. There were like 6-7 seperate accumulating events during that time . Sorry your season was subpar and below normal up there. You win some you lose some. Next year is your year tiger!

You said widespread snow didn't happen north of that ridiculous line .. Lol. There were like 6-7 seperate accumulating events during that time . Sorry your season was subpar and below normal up there. You win some you lose some. Next year is your year tiger!

He means widespread snow events encompassing a larger region. He's right.

We know your game...someone says good snow in eastern Mass, you say back to the CT River. Someone says north of the Pike, you say north of Hartford, someone says western New England, you counter with west of ORH-IJD, someone says POU-TAN, you say up to the Pike.

We'll remember to always include you. No worries ;)

That is why I was so dissapointed...had that acually happended, then I'd have set a new record. The compressed scrapers blow because you have no chance if you can't get QPF.

I would have made out relatively well with the CNE centric deals....maybe have had pecip type issues after a front ender, but I undoubtedly would have made out better than this crap regime. 

Give me QPF, and I'll take my chances.

At least there is something to follow.

I checked out after the second or third scraper.

Writing was on the wall because this season has displayed an element of OCD in that once patterns become established, they are relentless.

Three distinct tiers this season:

SNE Appetizer/Teaser: Thanksgiving week : SNE receives one moderate event, followed up by a light one shortly thereafter. Everyone is convinced we are beginning an epic winter journey, and ignoring scotter's dire December caution flags....then we pay.

Tier I:Dec 1-Jan 23: NNE prevails. It's either rain in sne, or whiff OTS.

Tier II: Jan 23-Feb 15: Pants tent, once in a lifetime, epicostiy, day-after-tomorrow here in eastern NE; focused on the south shore.

Tier III: Feb 15-current: A south of pike sandwich on cutter and whiff bread. Agonizingly avoiding records between the pike and s NH with absolute surgical percision.

SW CT-Steve-Bob swath of focus.

-The End

He means widespread snow events encompassing a larger region. He's right.

Kevin got several events and even up to here we did too...but him missing out on the Bruce Willis Caution Flag deathband event keeps me from including his area in the meat of the snow this March. That was a big event to miss...you basically had to be along or south of a DXR-Ginxy-TAN line on that one...even some areas in between near HVN got into a sucker hole there.

Either way, it's been an active March and we had chances...but there's always an element of luck. This Wednesday is another example...could have been a nice little 4-6" type event but the wave spacing at the last second screwed us a bit with that front runner wave (what is giving us snow showers this morning) being a bit tardy to move eastward.

Kevin got several events and even up to here we did too...but him missing out on the Bruce Willis Caution Flag deathband event keeps me from including his area in the meat of the snow this March. That was a big event to miss...you basically had to be along or south of a DXR-Ginxy-TAN line on that one...even some areas in between near HVN got into a sucker hole there.

Either way, it's been an active March and we had chances...but there's always an element of luck. This Wednesday is another example...could have been a nice little 4-6" type event but the wave spacing at the last second screwed us a bit with that front runner wave (what is giving us snow showers this morning) being a bit tardy to move eastward.

Yeah we all had some events, but the good stuff was definitely south...I mean if anyone was close to getting really teased it was my area. Personally, because we had snow OTG already...I enjoyed the 1-3" events and the cold because it really helped keep things refreshed. I never felt really screwed or disappointed. 

I didn't think he meant big events. It was like he was saying it didn't snow much north of his imaginary line. Up in his area he's right ,, but farther south it snowed quite frequently , just no big events except the south coast

Yes big events. Advisory or warning events.

Up here I probably nickled and dimed the month to a similar total as you.

I've had 12.5" in March, with accumulating snow on 13 days, so it probably snowed more "frequently" in my area than yours :lol:...

But I'm talking meat and potatoes events. Winter Storm Watches, Warnings and Advisories. The south coast was where it was at in March. By this time of the year I don't consider 1-3" events as being all that special. That's a day of snow showers.

Certainly I still stand by after mid-February winter storms (in terms of solid events, not 2.5" over 18 hours) died off north of a POU-IJD-TAN line.

Yes big events. Advisory or warning events.

Up here I probably nickled and dimed the month to a similar total as you.

I've had 12.5" in March, with accumulating snow on 13 days, so it probably snowed more "frequently" in my area than yours :lol:...

But I'm talking meat and potatoes events. Winter Storm Watches, Warnings and Advisories. The south coast was where it was at in March. By this time of the year I don't consider 1-3" events as being all that special. That's a day of snow showers.

Certainly I still stand by after mid-February winter storms (in terms of solid events, not 2.5" over 18 hours) died off north of a POU-IJD-TAN line.

Yea, I've seen one 3" event since Feb 15th, the rest were less.

That is why I was so dissapointed...had that acually happended, then I'd have set a new record.

Phase I:Dec 1-Jan 23: NNE prevails. It's either rain in sne, or whiff OTS.

Phase II: Jan 23-Feb 15: Pants tent, once in a lifetime, epicostiy, day-after-tomorrow here in eastern NE; focused on the south shore.

Phaase III: Feb 15-current: A south of pike sandwich on cutter and whiff bread. Agonizingly avoiding records between the pike and s NH with absolute surgical percision.

SW CT-Steve-Bob swath of focus.

-The End

:lol: Great seasonal summary. That's it in a nutshell.

And yeah, you would've broken your record if this turned into a more northern regime probably. You do best relative to the rest of SNE in those deals usually...might have tainted but your chances would've been better. Although you can never truly say for sure. It just the pattern did look prime to lift north a bit, but then the cold really reloaded and back to cold and dry.

There is nothing I hate more than a cold/dry pattern. 

I'd honestly rather 2012 than a cold/dry season.

Ok, ignoring all emotions aside, would you rather have your snowfall spread out from November through 4/15 and get the record, or what we had in late Jan through mid Feb? Honest question.  

Great winter here,not a total snow record in this area. A good 10-15 below 96 here, a .5 below my personal best but by far the best winter of my life. Judging a winter by just numbers falling is not my cup of tea. Overall quality of storms, number of depth days,number of snow days,cold and the ability to get out and enjoy. A great winter for all the things I love to do. Top notch. Enjoy the spring guys, looking forward to lacing up the cleats next week.

Ok, ignoring all emotions aside, would you rather have your snowfall spread out from November through 4/15 and get the record, or what we had in late Jan through mid Feb? Honest question.

That's a tough question haha. It's epic when it keeps coming like that, but sometimes it's also nice as a weather lover to have well spaced out events. The winter is long in New England, so having steady snows may make for a more enjoyable season week in and week out, but there's something about the power of nature to dump 100" in 3 weeks.

There is also something to be said for the anticipation and long lead of watching model runs, living and dying with each run, sneaking to the bathroom while out at dinner not because you need to go, but because you want to see what the models did. Rapid fire events you sort of finish one and go right into the Warning of the next one. There's no post storm let-down, but there's also no 5 day lead period of anticipation and build up.

Tough call, haha. I'm not sure how I'd feel as a skier about getting all the snow for a season in like one month, then having no fresh pow pow for the other 3 months. But that's different from a skiing mind and from a weenie mind it may be just give me three weeks of orgasm and I'll suffer through the other 3 months lol.

I know we're you're going with that and you already know the answer....this was better than 1996...hands down.

Just a bit of dissapointment because it looksd as though we had it up here, and then the bottom fell out.

I've always maintained this is my best winter...I'd much rather have 90" in three weeks, than another 10" event the end of December and the start of March.

No argument.

Great winter here,not a total snow record in this area. A good 10-15 below 96 here, a .5 below my personal best but by far the best winter of my life. Judging a winter by just numbers falling is not my cup of tea. Overall quality of storms, number of depth days,number of snow days,cold and the ability to get out and enjoy. A great winter for all the things I love to do. Top notch. Enjoy the spring guys, looking forward to lacing up the cleats next week.

Absolutely agreed.

Amazing how similar the anomlies are just back from the coast...I'm 12" off of my record, Corey is as well, I think you and ORH are, too.

That's a tough question haha. It's epic when it keeps coming like that, but sometimes it's also nice as a weather lover to have well spaced out events. The winter is long in New England, so having steady snows may make for a more enjoyable season week in and week out, but there's something about the power of nature to dump 100" in 3 weeks.

There is also something to be said for the anticipation and long lead of watching model runs, living and dying with each run, sneaking to the bathroom while out at dinner not because you need to go, but because you want to see what the models did. Rapid fire events you sort of finish one and go right into the Warning of the next one. There's no post storm let-down, but there's also no 5 day lead period of anticipation and build up.

Tough call, haha. I'm not sure how I'd feel as a skier about getting all the snow for a season in like one month, then having no fresh pow pow for the other 3 months. But that's different from a skiing mind and from a weenie mind it may be just give me three weeks of orgasm and I'll suffer through the other 3 months lol.

LOL at the sneaking out comment. So true.

Yep, this is entirely a subjective question. Just curious. For me, I love anomalous events so I wouldn't trade what I went through for even 15-20" more, but spaced out for 5 months.  I'll never see what I witnessed again....but I'll be able to see  brief periods of 15-25" OTG with typical piles etc. As someone who is not used to constant deep snow OTG...this was as epic as it gets and because it came in so fast, the piles were out of control. I don't even remember those 4 weeks...just a constant blur of adrenaline. I feel like I am still coming down from it.

I know we're you're going with that and you already know the answer....this was better than 1996...hands down.

Just a bit of dissapointment because it looksd as though we had it up here, and then the bottom fell out.

I've always maintained this is my best winter...I'd much rather have 90" in three weeks, than another 10" event the end of December and the start of March.

No argument.

There wasn't meant to be any underlying tone. I was wondering if you'd rather the record, or the snowy period we had. 

Archived