vokive3692
    Newest Member
    vokive3692
Late Thu night/Early Fri light snow

ORH_wxman

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty decent. I might throw a couple 2-4 speckles over Foxboro/Walpole area, but otherwise that N RI area is where I'd pick for the best shot at 2"+ and they highlighted that pretty well.

Yeah I agree almost perfectly with that map, although I think there's bust potential in their <1" areas depending on how temps go, I don't think you can have enough confidence at areas right on the water getting over 1" to go higher. They have up to 1" tonight and up to .5" tomorrow for me about 3 miles off the water so c-1.5" which I think is a perfect forecast.

Good map Chris

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

CAR's Version

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Last year a map like that almost always verified as a coating, or less, for the foothills.  Maybe this year will be different.  (Of course, having the 3-5" forecast on 3/19/14 wind up as 13" was a nice end-game treat.)  Current dews are near 20, so any precip might quickly cool things down and allow snowflakes to survive.

Last year a map like that almost always verified as a coating, or less, for the foothills.  Maybe this year will be different.  (Of course, having the 3-5" forecast on 3/19/14 wind up as 13" was a nice end-game treat.)  Current dews are near 20, so any precip might quickly cool things down and allow snowflakes to survive.

You're completely right too. We did a terrible job for your area especially, constantly over-predicting how far north that edge of heavy snow would get.

I mean I'm confused by that and I have a grasp of probabilistic forecasting.

Maybe they are updating their forecast. The min/likely/max columns correspond to the min/likely/max maps, while the percentage columns correspond to the percentage maps. There is the same disconnect with the maps.

Maybe they are updating their forecast. The min/likely/max columns correspond to the min/likely/max maps, while the percentage columns correspond to the percentage maps. There is the same disconnect with the maps.

And that's why it's experimental, because that results in very confusing numbers. Ideally all maps would be updated at the same time to avoid this.

Archived