• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

MQT up to 31.5" of snow on the month. Already the snowiest November since 2008 when a total of 43.6" was recorded that month. As well, this November currently stands as the 14th snowiest on record. 

Top 10 snowiest Novembers for Marquette:

1) 48.9" in 1991

2) 43.6" in 2008

3) 42.0" in 1988

4) 41.7" in 1989

5) 40.4" in 1903

6) 40.3" in 2005

7) 40.0" in 1911

8) 39.3" in 2001

9) 38.4" in 2002

10) 38.0" in 2000

Note: the official site moved into a "more favorable snow location" in the late 70's, so most of the records are from 1979 and onward.

Not that it matters, but Marquettes current measuring site is 99% of the time the highest reported snowfall compared to all the surrounding areas, the total opposite of many NWS offices. I mean, I guess if your already in such a snowy location, go for the jackpot zone, but the actual differences between the NWS & the city of Marquette are often insane. And Im not talking just snowfall...you can check snow depth on a February day and its a foot or more higher at the official station (which is actually in Negaunee) than the city of Marquette.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it matters, but Marquettes current measuring site is 99% of the time the highest reported snowfall compared to all the surrounding areas, the total opposite of many NWS offices. I mean, I guess if your already in such a snowy location, go for the jackpot zone, but the actual differences between the NWS & the city of Marquette are often insane. And Im not talking just snowfall...you can check snow depth on a February day and its a foot or more higher at the official station (which is actually in Negaunee) than the city of Marquette.

The NWS out of Gaylord is about 6 miles south of town and about 200' higher. I believe they average more snow then in town also. I wonder if where the Mqt NWS office is located now more represents the surrounding area better then when it was located down in town on the lake shore. White Lake NWS office is also nothing like the Detroit metro area that it represents I feel. It's about 30 miles north west of Detroit, about 500' higher and averages about 50% more snow then the Detroit metro area. I don't know enough about the Grand Rapids NWS to comment on there location and how it represents that area.

Well I know in terms on the Marquette County, most of the county is significantly above the lake level. The very eastern part of the county is more flat and closer to lake level, but I would say over 2/3 of the county is above 1000' in elevation. That's just where the Marquette airport is. I'm sure the seasonal snowfall tally at Sawyer is less than MQT to the south of the city.

Low of 22° this morning. Have only recovered to 26° so far.

Edit: I'm almost 200' higher than the lake and I know it can make a difference in slightly cooler temps in marginal events when the wind is onshore.

The NWS out of Gaylord is about 6 miles south of town and about 200' higher. I believe they average more snow then in town also. I wonder if where the Mqt NWS office is located now more represents the surrounding area better then when it was located down in town on the lake shore. White Lake NWS office is also nothing like the Detroit metro area that it represents I feel. It's about 30 miles north west of Detroit, about 500' higher and averages about 50% more snow then the Detroit metro area. I don't know enough about the Grand Rapids NWS to comment on there location and how it represents that area.

You are correct, NWS APX is about a 1.5 miles from my house, we both are at about the same elevation 1450 ft above sea level. With LES, elevation is everything and a couple 100 feet can make a very large difference. I routinely get a inch or two more then Gaylord City/Airport area because of the added elevation. Also being back in the woods also helps reduce solar impact and wind. I cant speak for MQT NWS, but I believe the situation is similar. Marquette itself averages half the amount of snow compared to areas just west of the city in the Huron mountains. 

Case in Point, Marquette City: 715 feet

NWS Marquette: 1407 Feet

NWS DTX isn't an official site for measuring snow I don't believe, they do usually measure though. If it were, it would also fall inline with MQT and APX with respect to higher elevation.

yes white lake has been measuring since 1995, but they are not the official site...DTW is. In fact DTX (White lake) isnt even on the f6 page, only DTW, FNT, & MBS are. To find DTX data you have to go to the "additional local climate data" link in the climate section of the webpage

And to add to the NWS site location discussion, NWS CLE is actually in the city limits of Cleveland (as is the radar). Despite being located at the airport where the official obs are (you can see the NWS office from many of the airport gates) they don't take snowfall measurements. I've always found it strange that some offices keep official or unofficial measurements and some don't bother.

As cold as it is here being about 15 below average, today in Denver might be one of the most anomolous days I have seen in a while. Their average high/low is 54/26. So far today they have achieved 6/-1 for a high and a low. So you are talking about -48/-27 off of your normals. Incredible stuff to say the least.

Oh and their forecast for this evening/tonight isn't much better:

• Late Afternoon A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around -1. Wind chill values as low as -9. Light northeast wind. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Tonight A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -24. East wind 3 to 5 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

As cold as it is here being about 15 below average, today in Denver might be one of the most anomolous days I have seen in a while. Their average high/low is 54/26. So far today they have achieved 6/-1 for a high and a low. So you are talking about -48/-27 off of your normals. Incredible stuff to say the least.

Oh and their forecast for this evening/tonight isn't much better:

• Late Afternoon A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around -1. Wind chill values as low as -9. Light northeast wind. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Tonight A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -24. East wind 3 to 5 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Yep, crazy.  Casper WY hit -26 this morning, which is 49 degrees below their normal low.  It shattered their Nov. monthly low record of -21...and it's only Nov 12.

via Ricky @ LOT...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
511 PM CST WED NOV 12 2014 /611 PM EST WED NOV 12 2014/

...MORE ON THE EARLY SEASON COLD...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY IN CHICAGO WAS 31 DEGREES AND THE HIGH
IN ROCKFORD WAS 30 DEGREES...ABOUT 20 DEGREES BELOW THE
CLIMATOLOGICAL AVERAGE HIGH FOR THE DATE.

IN CHICAGO...TODAY WAS THE COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE THIS EARLY IN
THE SEASON SINCE 1996 WHEN THE HIGH ONLY REACHED 31 DEGREES ON
NOVEMBER 10TH.

IN ROCKFORD...TODAY WAS THE COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE THIS EARLY IN
THE SEASON SINCE 1995 WHEN THE HIGH ONLY REACHED 28 DEGREES ON
NOVEMBER 12TH.

LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME...WE WERE ALSO IN THE MIDST OF AN EARLY
SEASON COLD BLAST. THE HIGH TEMPERATURE ON NOVEMBER 12TH REACHED
33 DEGREES IN CHICAGO AND 31 DEGREES IN ROCKFORD. THE BIG
DIFFERENCE LAST YEAR WAS THAT THE COLD SNAP DID NOT PERSIST LIKE
IT WILL THIS YEAR. JUST FIVE DAYS LATER...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE IN
BOTH CHICAGO AND ROCKFORD SOARED TO 69 DEGREES. THIS CAME IN THE
WARM SECTOR OF THE INTENSE STORM SYSTEM THAT BROUGHT ONE OF THE
WORST FALL TORNADO OUTBREAKS ON RECORD.

$$

RC

I've got snow on the ground! Missed it while sleeping. Can't tell whether to report .1" or a trace, lol. Guess I'd better get my snowboard out.

I missed it here as well. Saw the returns approaching as I headed to bed last night, but though naw...it won't reach the ground. But, much to my pleasant surprise, I woke up to a car/roof topper. :) 

From Michael Skipper at IWX....

..ONGOING HIGHS OF GENERALLY 29F TO 35F
FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY FOLLOWED BY HIGHS IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S
MONDAY AND TUESDAY APPEAR ON TRACK. THE COLDEST HIGH RECORD FOR
TUESDAY AT FT WAYNE NOVEMBER 18 IS 26F. HAVE LOWERED THE HIGH TO
26F...THE CANADIAN GEM EPS GRAM AND ECMWF TEMPERATURE GUIDANCE
SUPPORTS HIGHS OF ONLY 22F TO 24F.
850 MB TEMPS SHOULD BE CLOSE TO
-18C TUESDAY.

A record may be broken :shiver:

Archived