• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

I don't think it will be quite cold enough to break records in Chicago. Record lows are in the lower teen to upper single digits and record low max's are in the 20s. Maybe if Milwaukee can get some snow on the ground they could challenge a record low or record low max.

This weekend is about picking up the remaining leaves at my house and doing some winterizing tasks. 

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you referring toward hour 240?

the entire run is relentless cold.... also a definite signal for several snow chances from late next week til the end of the run.  Just crazy when you consider the time of year.  

We're either gonna blow our load early and coast into spring or I'm going to start believing in this ice age talk :lol:

the entire run is relentless cold.... also a definite signal for several snow chances from late next week til the end of the run. Just crazy when you consider the time of year.

We're either gonna blow our load early and coast into spring or I'm going to start believing in this ice age talk :lol:

The public reaction to a second consecutive "unprecedented" winter would be priceless. In the very snowy winters of the past decade, it was the generic "so much for global warming" or "this reminds me of the 70s, but they were worse" stuff. But last year most admitted theyd never seen a winter that brutal. I heard of a couple who MOVED south because of the winter (a stupid reason if its true). If anything close to that materializes this winter, I cannot wait to read Bastardi's ice age article in spring that will go viral and have the public mockery of all things climate change be at a new high :lol:

The public reaction to a second consecutive "unprecedented" winter would be priceless. In the very snowy winters of the past decade, it was the generic "so much for global warming" or "this reminds me of the 70s, but they were worse" stuff. But last year most admitted theyd never seen a winter that brutal. I heard of a couple who MOVED south because of the winter (a stupid reason if its true). If anything close to that materializes this winter, I cannot wait to read Bastardi's ice age article in spring that will go viral and have the public mockery of all things climate change be at a new high :lol:

A little OT, climate change aside, there is a difference in public reaction between the brutal 70's winters and the past few (especially last year's). I am speaking as someone who has lived through both.

Many younger and middle-aged people in this area in the late 70's went with and even embraced brutal winters. Hockey began to become popular and snowmobile sales skyrocketed, not by people to take to the UP, but just to ride the fields around here. This is an area that normally receives less than 3 feet of snow annually. lol The attitude was that if that's what ma nature dishes out, we'll deal with it.

The attitude I've noticed from the public with the recent harsh winters is basically, "Make it stop!" I've heard many people, and I'm talking about young and middle-aged people, say they will move to warmer climates if we have yet another 'bad' winter.

This could lead to a discussion of changes in social attitudes over the years, but I just think that it's interesting how the overall reaction to a bad (good) winter has changed in the past 35 years.

Archived