amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya never can tell. They had two inches of snow "on the ground" last Saturday around Mt. Morris MI. I would had thought the ground was way to warm to accumulate that much last weekend.

NWS Chicago posted this pic of the lake effect snow in NW IN on Halloween.

post-14-0-52315300-1415162353_thumb.jpg

Snow not only on the grass, but on pavement as well.  Warm ground can play a role of course but if it's coming down hard enough, I'm not sure the ground can be warm enough to stop it from sticking. 

With November looking like a near-lock to be below normal here (sorry, CFS), its time to start the countdown....Detroit may, for the first time in my life, make the top 20 coldest years on record. The last time a year made the top 20 coldest was 1980, & while we have quite the peppering in there from that timeframe (1967, 1972, 1978, 1979, & 1980 all are in Detroits top 20 coldest years), prior to 1967, you have to go to 1940 then 1926 for a year in the top 20 coldest! (8 of the 20 are from the 1800s). And only 4.5" of snow is needed to make 2014 the snowiest calendar year on record.

Getting some RN- now. Breezy here, but nothing like last Friday!

LOT actually issued a wind advisory for the IN lakeshore counties for tomorrow.

AS THE UPPER TROUGH SHARPENS THE SURFACE LOW IS PROGGED TO DEEPEN   ABOUT 5MB BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON AS IT MOVES EASTWARD ACROSS SOUTHERN   LOWER MICHIGAN. PRESSURE GRADIENT WILL TIGHTEN AS THE SYSTEM DEEPENS   WITH LOCAL WRF ARW AND NAM BOTH DEPICTING A BULLSEYE OF 4-5MB/3 HOUR   PRESSURE RISES MOVING ACROSS THE AREA TOMORROW MIDDAY. THE TIGHT   PRESSURE GRADIENT...COLD AIR ADVECTION AND STRONG PRESSURE RISES   WILL SUPPORT STRONG NW TO NNW WINDS SPREADING ACROSS THE CWA DURING   THE LATE MORNING AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. COULD BRIEFLY   FLIRT WITH WIND ADV CRITERIA ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA...BUT GENERALLY   EXPECT PEAK GUSTS IN THE 30-40MPH RANGE SO HELD OFF ON AN ADV MOST   AREAS.     THE ONE EXCEPTION LOOKS TO BE NEAR THE LAKE IN NORTHWEST INDIANA   WHERE THE ADDED INSTABILITY DUE TO THE RELATIVELY WARM LAKE WATERS   AND LESS FRICTION SHOULD ALLOW FOR GUSTS OF 45-55MPH NEAR THE LAKE.   HAVE HOISTED A WIND ADVISORY FOR THOSE AREAS NEAR THE LAKE. THE HIGH   END GALE TO BRIEFLY NEAR STORM FORCE NW-NNW WINDS SHOULD DRIVE WAVES   ALONG EASTERN LAKE CO IN AND PORTER COUNTY INTO THE 14-18FT RANGE.   AFTER COORDINATION WITH INDIANA DUNES STATE PARK HAVE OPTED TO   ISSUED A LAKESHORE FLOOD ADVISORY FOR THESE AREAS FOR THURSDAY. THE   DUNES NOTED THAT THERE WAS QUITE A BIT OF DAMAGE FROM THE HALLOWEEN   STORM AND THAT STORM ALSO WASHED AWAY A LOT OF THE SAND BARS THAT   TYPICALLY OFFER UP PROTECTION IN THESE EVENTS...WHICH MEANS AREAS   COULD BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO PROBLEMS WITH TOMORROW'S HIGH WIND/WAVE   EVENT.   

With November looking like a near-lock to be below normal here (sorry, CFS), its time to start the countdown....Detroit may, for the first time in my life, make the top 20 coldest years on record. The last time a year made the top 20 coldest was 1980, & while we have quite the peppering in there from that timeframe (1967, 1972, 1978, 1979, & 1980 all are in Detroits top 20 coldest years), prior to 1967, you have to go to 1940 then 1926 for a year in the top 20 coldest! (8 of the 20 are from the 1800s). And only 4.5" of snow is needed to make 2014 the snowiest calendar year on record.

I think that should be an absolute lock barring some kind of near-historic early winter 98-99 type pattern.

Seems like the opposite of that time period already. I know it's pretty far off from materializing, and it could turn out to just be just potential, but winter looks to be getting one of the earliest starts around here in quite some time. Sure there have been seasons that will have had earlier winter storms, but I'm talking consistently winter-like temperatures and patterns. Almost as often as not, it doesn't start truly feeling like winter until nearly Christmas time. It would be cool if it actually felt like mid-winter by then.

I know it was a horrendous decade for "Christmastime snow" and whatnot at Detroit, but only 26" of snow total fell before December 25th from 1992 to 1999. Last year alone we had 15.0" of snow total by December 25th, which of course turned out to only be the tip of the iceberg of a truly once in a lifetime type winter.

Euro been flip-flopping a bit with the Mon-Tue system, but the 0z run is a decent snowfall for northern IA/southern WI/northern IL/southern lower MI. Ensembles not quite as enthused and a bit north of the OP...though there are some individual members that hit ORD pretty good.

Been a very long time since we had a soaking rain. Digging down the soil is very dry and powder like in the top soils to a depth of 6" Even the lower clay based soils are dry to some extent. Looking towards the future the precipitation pattern while active in frequency it is very lacking qualitatively. This worries me heading into the winter months.... This fall has been somewhat tranquil

Yeah pretty good thump away from the lake. Good 6" event that cyclone needs lol

lol, yeah. It'd be nice to get that one out of the way for him...rather quickly.

EDIT: 12z parallel/upgraded GFS is stronger...more north...more consolidated. Nice hit for parts of MN, IA, WI, and MI.

Squirrels quite busy today.  Other than the usual robins, cardinals, and house sparrows...I really haven't seen any of the other birds around...blackbirds, ducks, geese etc. ... normally it's a pretty active time of year for them around here

Same here. I've seen the smaller song birds around, but not the Geese and ducks much. Maybe they know something is up and are already further south!

About 39° with a wind chills sub 30° right now in Racine. Almost cold enough for snow this morning. Maybe next time around.

Yeah the upgraded GFS really nails the SE corner of MN, northern IA and central WI. Let's see how good the semi-completed upgrade really is. I heard it wasn't going to be fully upgraded until December.

lol, yeah. It'd be nice to get that one out of the way for him...rather quickly.

EDIT: 12z parallel/upgraded GFS is stronger...more north...more consolidated. Nice hit for parts of MN, IA, WI, and MI.

Archived