amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere in this sub, but the new 13km GFS (current version is 27km) is going operational Dec 17th.  The parallel version of the 13km is already running, and is available on WxBell.  Probably available at other model sites as well, but I haven't looked. 

Should be interesting to see how the new version performs this season.

You can also find the parallel gfs at tropicaltidbits.com

25 here.  With what looks like pretty ideal radiational cooling conditions, I have to think we have a shot to get down around 20 or, gasp, upper teens?

Looks like only 21. Or does that channel 18 guy keep a thermometer in the freezer just for these occasions?

Wasn't sure what these were when i saw them yesterday///not my pictures...from the NwS 

houston-jamievix.jpg

winona3-jayburros.jpg

Fallstreaks...

High to mid level clouds, such as altocumulus, are often composed of tiny water droplets that are much colder than freezing, but have yet to freeze. These "supercooled" water droplets need a "reason" to freeze, which usually comes in the form of ice crystals. Planes passing through the cloud layer can bring these ice crystals.

Once the ice crystals are introduced, the water droplet quickly freeze, grow and start to fall. A hole is left behind, which will start to expand outward as neighboring droplets start to freeze.

00z Euro shows a compact, but very vigorous clipper rolling into northern IL on Thursday.  Temp profiles are cold enough for snow over a decent swath.  Euro lays down several inches over southern Wisconsin, and snow would fall as far south as northern IL. 

EDIT:  Wow, the Euro shows a nice 60kt CCB immediately behind the compact low Thursday.  Powerful little system if this pans out.

00z Euro shows a compact, but very vigorous clipper rolling into northern IL on Thursday.  Temp profiles are cold enough for snow over a decent swath.  Euro lays down several inches over southern Wisconsin, and snow would fall as far south as northern IL. 

EDIT:  Wow, the Euro shows a nice 60kt CCB immediately behind the compact low Thursday.  Powerful little system if this pans out.

I saw that. Looks like the Euro Ensembles don't dismiss the idea of that system as well, though the mean looks a little more progressive. Something to watch this week, anyways.

I saw that. Looks like the Euro Ensembles don't dismiss the idea of that system as well, though the mean looks a little more progressive. Something to watch this week, anyways.

attachicon.gif11:2 0z EC 120 hours mslp.gif

attachicon.gif11:2 0z EC 120 hours 850T.gif

Early November clippers that drop snow are pretty rare around here, would be a nice to kick off the snow season (though the recent Halloween snow technically kicked it off as well).

With the recent talk about November snows and how they are suddenly decreasing in Detroit while seasonal snowfall is rapidly increasing, & that only 3 years in the last 2 decades had above normal Nov snow, all of which led to a slightly below normal snow season....it would seem a foregone conclusion that for whatever reason, its a no-brainer. if you want a snowy winter here, dont hope for a snowy November. But the longterm results couldnt be more different.

I looked up the top 20 snowiest and least snowiest Novembers and their corresponding snow seasons, and the results...well...

For the 20 snowiest Novembers, the range was actually not very large, as #1 was only 11.8" but #20 was 6.5". For the top 20 least snowy Novembers, I had to actually to the top 23 (due to tie), as there were 3 Novembers with no snow, 15 Novembers with a T of snow, & 5 Novembers with 0.1" of snow.

The top 20 snowiest Novembers had an average seasonal snowfall of.......52.0".

The top 23 least snowy Novembers had an average seasonal snowfall of..32.9"

So "the weather in November the winter remember" was actually quite a reasonable quote from the 1870s through the 1980s. But for some reason in the last 25 years, that script has for no explained reason, completely flipped.

With the recent talk about November snows and how they are suddenly decreasing in Detroit while seasonal snowfall is rapidly increasing, & that only 3 years in the last 2 decades had above normal Nov snow, all of which led to a slightly below normal snow season....it would seem a foregone conclusion that for whatever reason, its a no-brainer. if you want a snowy winter here, dont hope for a snowy November. But the longterm results couldnt be more different.

I looked up the top 20 snowiest and least snowiest Novembers and their corresponding snow seasons, and the results...well...

For the 20 snowiest Novembers, the range was actually not very large, as #1 was only 11.8" but #20 was 6.5". For the top 20 least snowy Novembers, I had to actually to the top 23 (due to tie), as there were 3 Novembers with no snow, 15 Novembers with a T of snow, & 5 Novembers with 0.1" of snow.

The top 20 snowiest Novembers had an average seasonal snowfall of.......52.0".

The top 23 least snowy Novembers had an average seasonal snowfall of..32.9"

So "the weather in November the winter remember" was actually quite a reasonable quote from the 1870s through the 1980s. But for some reason in the last 25 years, that script has for no explained reason, completely flipped.

I think part of it is, due to the overall warming trend, the window has narrowed in terms of early (and sometimes late) season snowfalls, but the moisture is still there in the winter, so the primary three months of winter are still primed for snows, if not moreso than they used to be.

You got it wrong...he keeps it in the oven. But yeah, 21˚ looks to be the low this morning at LAF. Hit that on my "trusty" thermometer as well.

Not out of the question that something colder occurred intrahour, but in any case, 21 is very impressive for so early.  Looks like the West Lafayette coop got down to 19, a new record for the day.  Edit:  unless 19 was the low for the previous night.  I get confused by that.

Went back and looked at WLAF coop records and it got down to 20 on October 11, 1906.  Wow.

I think part of it is, due to the overall warming trend, the window has narrowed in terms of early (and sometimes late) season snowfalls, but the moisture is still there in the winter, so the primary three months of winter are still primed for snows, if not moreso than they used to be.

I think it has more to do with luck... Winter temps have dropped from the 1990's to the 2000's over most of the country. A degree of global temp rise isn't going to matter that much.

fwiw, there has been no decrease locally in April snows...just November. while we did have a slew of warm Novembers in the 2000s, our overall local climate is not warming. The last two Novembers have been colder than normal with below normal snowfall.

Been awhile since I've seen a Clipper in early November that brings snow. That would be interesting if that were to pan out for someone in the region.

A chilly 23° here for a low this morning. The cold knocked a lot of the remaining leaves off the trees this morning. 

DLL ~ I've seen clouds like that on a few occasions. They make for great photos! I think they are more common in the cooler months vs. summer. 

It looks like a nicely placed high-latitude block over NW Canada will fill central Canada with some pretty cold air this week...an Aleutian low is forecast by the GFS and Euro ensembles to be pretty persistent starting late this week which may try to pump up ridging on the west coast and allow the cold over central Canada to come into the central US. It looks pretty likely the next two weeks will be below normal across most of the region, especially starting late this week. Whether or not it snows, is harder to tell, but some lake effect snow and perhaps a clipper as some models have been suggesting might drop some snow on some in the subforum. The big question that will have to be answered IMO is whether or not ridging can develop near the west coast and stop Pacific air from flooding the country...that may make the difference between just somewhat below normal temps over the next couple of weeks and potentially periods of well below sprinkled in if ridging can develop on the west coast. We'll see...doesn't look torchy any time soon though.

post-525-0-93228400-1414954290_thumb.png

post-525-0-89993100-1414954322_thumb.png

Archived