joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a very very light dusting on the car this morning, just a little powder around the window frame. Some flurries in the sunshine gotta love snow in the sun anyways. Added up to nothing, typical stuff here in the lake effect donut hole of the entire state though :D

Never understand why that area in Michigan never gets LES.... Very strange

12.3" on the day at SBN

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1208 AM EST FRI NOV 14 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1200 AM HEAVY SNOW SOUTH BEND 41.70N 86.25W
11/14/2014 M12.3 INCH ST. JOSEPH IN CO-OP OBSERVER

24 HOUR TOTAL OF 12.3 INCHES. 3.5 INCHES FELL IN LAST 5
HOURS.

Congrats to SBN. Does anyone know if the airport is measuring snow again? I see that they list that total as a coop observer. How far away is the observer from the airport?

With the highly localized nature of lake effect, for official records do they keep the liquid equivalent that the ASOS reports or do they make the coop observer do a liquid equivalent of their measurement to overwrite ASOS? I could see a case where the airport gets no snow and the observer a few miles away gets blasted and the snow totals and liquid equivalents don't match up. And vice versa, the airport could get blasted and report lots of liquid equivalent but the observer a few miles away gets nothing and so it's reported that no snow fell on 0.60" liquid.

Good questions Trent. Pretty sure the airport is not doing snowfall measurements, and the COOP is the official right now. As far as location of the observer versus the airport, I typed in the lat/lon of the observer which is marked by the blue target on the right...and as you can see, the airport on the left side of the image. 

Took this yesterday...the first dusting of the season

4139-800.jpg

DTX still thinking about an inch tomorrow night...but Im not a fan of the dry NAM. Since this system has been shown it has shown that it would weaken in Michigan, but the ever-changing NAM is too dry.

It IS interesting though how robust the models are with LES early next week. Usually when they are that robust far out its a good sign.

As Bo sits with over 30" of snow on the ground... one other place just outside the UP got more. Like 48".

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/snowfall-reaches-4-feet-northwestern-wisconsin-community

Crazy. Gile WI is very close to Ironwood MI on the map, but Gile got way more snow. I wonder if the elevation is a bit higher there? Fun microclimates. :)

Crazy. Gile WI is very close to Ironwood MI on the map, but Gile got way more snow. I wonder if the elevation is a bit higher there? Fun microclimates. :)

That is strange. Gile is like 25' higher than Hurley. That shouldn't make a difference. The more intense bands must have been more focused on that town instead. 

---

Nice pic Snow Freak. I can guarantee I'll have pictures on Sunday to post of the snowfall!

The South Bend media mets as well as the IWX mets were on NWSChat last night lamenting their huge bust. I think they still could have saved face by dropping the warning bomb, but they kept thinking that band would move and lose intensity before reaching warning criteria, but it didn't happen. One TV met said that it was his biggest bust in almost 30 years.

Have about a foot on the ground at my house right now. Don't even have the snow blower ready yet or the snow tires on my wife's car, guess been slacking a little this year. At least the sled is ready, I guess we know where my priorities are lol.

Monday - Wednesday still looking pretty good for a decent LES setup for the lakes. 

Archived