12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
September 2014 Obs and Discussion

T. August

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We also do not want any big storms prior to the leaves changing because it would prematurely bring leaves down to the ground :)

Let's wait til late October and then bring on the storms. 

Interesting.. I just went and did some research on the subject. You are correct. A dry late summer/early fall help enhance the fall color. Looks like we're set up for good color. I just need a storm. I get so bored with sunny days lol.

I wonder what's the driest Sep. on record?  Got 0.17" so far, and chances for anything significant through the eom don't look good.

I've lost track a bit now, but I'm pretty sure I'm still close to 3" here since May 16. I wish local climo data existed (and it would need to be as local as mby), because I'd bet good money that I've never seen a drier 4-month stretch in my cognizant lifetime.  Granted I've only lived in Stephens City for 4 years... maybe this place has always been a desert.

To date @ KOKV:

Highs: +0.1F

Lows:  +1.1F

Almost turned the tables on the torch start to the month.  Should be solidly below normal by this time next week.

IAD is exactly "average" as of yesterday.  BWI is +1.6F and DCA is +3.3F.  BWI will probably be very near normal in a week's time if not a touch below.  DCA probably won't be able to erase the big + departures from the first week.  

Way out in fantasy land, but several recent GFS runs and several GEFS members have shown a tropical system making landfall in LA/TX/MS coastline and then getting pulled northward in a broad trough and then dumping rain on us early in October.

H5 definitely looks favorable on all models for that type of scenario. Favorable in the sense that the door may be wide open, not that I think it's going to be easy for a storm to form.

Once we get beyond next week's cool shot, it looks like the eastern half of the country will be under the influence of broad ridging for a decent period. It looks like the pattern is really going to shift for a time as the GOA low spins and trough digs off the west coast.

ETA:

test8.gif

BWI will probably be very near normal in a week's time if not a touch below.  DCA probably won't be able to erase the big + departures from the first week.  

I'm wondering if BWI will finish the month above or below- I'd say the chances are about equal right now. It looks like the weekend might give some decent positive departures but then next week would have negative days again.

I'm wondering if BWI will finish the month above or below- I'd say the chances are about equal right now. It looks like the weekend might give some decent positive departures but then next week would have negative days again.

I'd take the over. Unless the period is wet, the last 5+ days of the month are looking AN. 

12z GFS turns the Northeast Metro into a Desert, less than 0.15" all run from Richmond to Boston and within 150 miles of 95. Less than 0.10" for Trenton, NYC, and Boston. Cape Cod basically doesn't get a drop. While the Panhandle of Texas gets flooding rains. HP just never leaves the Northeast

Only problem with this stretch is if you just had a bunch of sod installed. My water bill is going to be horrible.

My grass has been completely burned up now for almost 2 weeks.  I refuse to spend the money to water the grass; it has to fend for itself.  However, I've had to resort to watering my shrubs, something I last did in summer of 2010.

My grass has been completely burned up now for almost 2 weeks. I refuse to spend the money to water the grass; it has to fend for itself. However, I've had to resort to watering my shrubs, something I last did in summer of 2010.

You need to move out of Death Valley, it seems

My grass has been completely burned up now for almost 2 weeks.  I refuse to spend the money to water the grass; it has to fend for itself.  However, I've had to resort to watering my shrubs, something I last did in summer of 2010.

Grass mostly brown here as well(except over the septic drain field). Been exactly 2 weeks since the last significant rain event here. Looks like another 8-10 days before the next chance. That steady rain shield just offshore this morning is as near a hit as we will see for a while.

You need to move out of Death Valley, it seems

Definitely.  My wife is expecting our second. She'll finish out this year teaching and probably won't return to work until our first is off to kindergarten in 3 years.  Soon as we have the second income again, we are out of Stephens City.  I'm trying to talk her into western MD, but she wants to go south.  Lol.

Archived