joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad the foreseeable future looks dry. Our well is now starting to push sediment through the sediment filter into the house - nothing beats getting a glass of water that has a reddish tinge to it.

This happens every time it gets pretty dry outside. So far historically we have never run out of water, but it is never too far from the mind when this starts to happen.

Man is it really that bad there? I would have thought last weeks 2+ , might have helped out some

Man is it really that bad there? I would have thought last weeks 2+ , might have helped out some

We ended up with just under 2 inches last week and sure it has helped a little bit, but almost half of it fell in about an hour.

We have the shallowest well on our street, right around 100 feet, but it also has the highest yield 20+ gallons/minute.

We may just be drawing from fissures that we don't normally draw from, but it does get your attention.

We ended up with just under 2 inches last week and sure it has helped a little bit, but almost half of it fell in about an hour.

We have the shallowest well on our street, right around 100 feet, but it also has the highest yield 20+ gallons/minute.

We may just be drawing from fissures that we don't normally draw from, but it does get your attention.

You are in the same screw zone as here. We had maybe 0.7" last week? Even steams are down to a trickle.

Max temps the past 6 days...

66.4     72

69.4     67

66.0     66

72.1     61

71.5     70

69.4     71

This has been perfect.

I added mine alongside yours.  Interesting to see a couple days where we differed a fair amount though we porbably average out about the same.

More along the month of August here at the Pit:  Kind of interesting comparision

This year:                                                                          Last year

1       number of days at 80 or above (80 on Aug 4)           0

5       number of days above 75                                          4

0       number of overnight lows above 60                          5

4       number of overnight lows below 55                          7

1       number of overnight lows below 50                           2

Stress is pretty much a proven reason for early leaf change. I have no idea what he's talking about.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I don't know the source of the paragraph PF linked, but it's well stated, though aimed more at urban trees than those in the forest.  One frequently seen forest example of early color due to stress is on beech heavily affected by beech bark syndrome, which is caused by the combination of a fungus and a scale insect (both non-native to North America), and which is the main reason beech volume is decreasing significantly in the Maine forest while most other hardwood species are increasing.  It's in NNE and the Maritimes where this problem is most serious.  In addition, any time I see a tree or group of trees changing much earlier than others on the same type of soils and drainage, it's a near sure sign that something is seriously amiss with those trees.  (To be attributed to health issues, this color change must be well ahead of that seen in normally early changers like white ash.)

Archived