joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this was even 1% true, the northeast would be a prairie.

Going from 90 to 60 is different than 40 to 0, depends on the tree species really and the season (blooming out vs hiberation, etc). It was also really wet and miserable, perhaps a fungus or what not. The Northeast could very well be a prairie in the deep future.

Going from 90 to 60 is different than 40 to 0, depends on the tree species really and the season (blooming out vs hiberation, etc). It was also really wet and miserable, perhaps a fungus or what not. The Northeast could very well be a prairie in the deep future.

Temps in our region were even more extreme 50-100 years ago. I don't think that's an issue.

Temps in our region were even more extreme 50-100 years ago. I don't think that's an issue.

That might be correct (I've never seen numbers comparing variability, though the 1930s probably stand alone for extremes among the reliable records), but I've recorded plenty of extremes since moving to Maine in 1973.  March 2012 spanned 90F (-10 to 80) which beats out even the more extreme - on avg - Ft. Kent.  Tops there for a month was 87 in Jan 1979.  However, that month's minima covered 82F, from -47 to 35.   We also had March 1976, with -25 on the 19th and 50 on the 20th.  All very small SS.  Someone would ahve to crunch a few hundred thousand numbers to make a true comparison, I think, and it won't be me.

The only wx that's caused plants grief IMBY is cold - extreme cold/wind in winter ruined several specimens, including my attempt to grow peaches, while late frost in May 1999 and again in 2010 wiped out the apple blossoms and forced ash and even oak to re-leaf after their initial efforts got smoked.

Too bad the foreseeable future looks dry.  Our well is now starting to push sediment through the sediment filter into the house - nothing beats getting a glass of water that has a reddish tinge to it.

This happens every time it gets pretty dry outside.  So far historically we have never run out of water, but it is never too far from the mind when this starts to happen.

Saying an early tree color changes are b/c of "stress"? LOL...one of the funniest things I ever heard.

I've noticed more leaves beginning to fall earlier than normal and I've had several people make that comment as well.

Why is it funny? Trees changing in July mean snow is coming in September?

Why is it funny? Trees changing in July mean snow is coming in September?

No to the last part...trees changing early have nothing to do with that but to blame change of some trees on stress...laughable.

It's been a summer in which everything has been in place to began an early change. I noticed a few weeks ago some leaves changing colors and beginning to fall. Maybe it's not significant b/c it's only isolated but it still means something and it's not b/c of stress.

No to the last part...trees changing early have nothing to do with that but to blame change of some trees on stress...laughable.

It's been a summer in which everything has been in place to began an early change. I noticed a few weeks ago some leaves changing colors and beginning to fall. Maybe it's not significant b/c it's only isolated but it still means something and it's not b/c of stress.

Disagree. There's no physiological reason for a change in mid summer other than a less than fully healthy tree.

Are you joking?

I would rather get insight from actual people who study trees and plants for a living than people who think they always know everything in the New England section of a weather forum

Tamarack would fit the bill, but I'm fairly proficient in natural sciences from work on the mountain, I'll ask our staff forester but I'm 110% sure stress is the real reason for early random change in August...now if an entire hillside changed, that's another thing. But it could also be stressors from the past couple years too.

Tamarack would fit the bill, but I'm fairly proficient in natural sciences from work on the mountain, I'll ask our staff forester but I'm 110% sure stress is the real reason for early random change in August...now if an entire hillside changed, that's another thing. But it could also be stressors from the past couple years too.

Hmm that's good enough!

Also I guess my once in a while trolling is getting better lol.

Yeah if we saw a ton of trees changing it would be more of a concern type thing

Archived