joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No to the last part...trees changing early have nothing to do with that but to blame change of some trees on stress...laughable.

It's been a summer in which everything has been in place to began an early change. I noticed a few weeks ago some leaves changing colors and beginning to fall. Maybe it's not significant b/c it's only isolated but it still means something and it's not b/c of stress.

If you study the mechanisms on how leaves change (I had to in college as part of plant biology), healthy trees do not change because of a bit of cold in early August. They are mostly driven by the sun angle. It's true that perfect weather such as cold crisp nights and such can speed up the change process by a week or two, but that would not apply to what is happening in some areas in August.

It is due to stress from lack of water or something else that causes trees to become less healthy...and its not all trees of course. The least healthy ones will change first.

C'mon wiz, you are better than that.

Welcome to the SNE tree forum.

Same **** every single year we see. I've landscaped for years, nothing is happening out of the ordinary. Trees prone to stress drop leaves every year. It's dry in spots, but nothing mindblowing is going on. Just the same person derailing and blowing things out of proportions per the usual.

Ignoring the science behind what has been just said about trees, I have it on good authority that there's a second string QB in Cleveland who can bring snow about even in July.

Is your "data" going to explain zat?

This will be the finest winter ever! Starting now.

Welcome to the SNE tree forum.

Same **** every single year we see. I've landscaped for years, nothing is happening out of the ordinary. Trees prone to stress drop leaves every year. It's dry in spots, but nothing mindblowing is going on. Just the same person derailing and blowing things out of proportions per the usual.

LOL!

I haven't worn any pants or shorts since Memorial Day. Just rocking it Neanderthal style.

Jeans frequently accompany the shawl.

36F at SLK this morning.

Damn impressive.

66.0/55--looks like a warm one.

Nothing but suits, ties, and briefcases out there today

Yeah, feels good out there.  First time we are hitting 70F up here in the past 5 days...this is true brochure weather.  Visibility is excellent all the way to MWN. 

I was looking around the Adirondack observations, and found a 34F at a Lake Placid home station.  I'm sure there were others scattered around in there in the mid-30s.  Wonder if any localized frost occurred. 

Saw on the news that SLK was the coldest spot in the lower 48 this morning...but they tend to get that award a few days per year.  Amazing for radiational cooling in that Lake Placid area...I just can't imagine living in Lake Placid where you are the bottom of a valley and yet still at like 1,800-2,000ft elevation.  Cold, cold, and colder.

For those who enjoy the 70's, the next week to 10 days is all yours-wondering if we've had our last 80 degree reading in most locales?

Not a chance I don't think. Maybe ORH could pull it off, but even there is tough. Though Sept 1975 had a high temp of 73F at ORH...pretty amazing. 25 of the 30 days that month were below normal.

Not a chance I don't think. Maybe ORH could pull it off, but even there is tough. Though Sept 1975 had a high temp of 73F at ORH...pretty amazing. 25 of the 30 days that month were below normal.

I could see a rogue day or two, but if this pattern continues, it's going to be mainly 70's.  Folks have called for an above normal pattern to develop, but it never comes--look at this week for example-verification is going to be more of the same with temps below normal.   Reminds me of the warm winters where the cold and snow were always 7-10 days away and never came...in this case, the warmth never actually shows up outside of a day or two.

Places will see 80 today.

It looks like tropical convection may try to develop east again near the dateline if models are right, heading into Sept. That would put a cooler risk here I think. I still don't know why the torch September calls were getting people riled up.

Also, I saw a chart of average 500mb (20,000ft or so) vertical velocities around the planet. Major lift in the Pacific across the ITCZ, while the Carb and Gulf of Mexico have had tone of subsidence and a more stable atmosphere than normal. Pretty remarkable.

I could see a rogue day or two, but if this pattern continues, it's going to be mainly 70's.  Folks have called for an above normal pattern to develop, but it never comes--look at this week for example-verification is going to be more of the same with temps below normal.   Reminds me of the warm winters where the cold and snow were always 7-10 days away and never came...in this case, the warmth never actually shows up outside of a day or two.

You do realize that the big 4 were weakly above for July don't you? June and July together averaged normal to slightly above.

You do realize that the big 4 were weakly above for July don't you? June and July together averaged normal to slightly above.

Sure they did, but there was no big heat. Heck, BDR has had one day at 90...(and if you include last year, there's been 2 days going back to late July-we had that hot 9/11 last year) August has been solidly below.   And the point of my post was from here on out that there would be no 80's or very few 80's.   Wasn't referring to July or June

Places will see 80 today.

It looks like tropical convection may try to develop east again near the dateline if models are right, heading into Sept. That would put a cooler risk here I think. I still don't know why the torch September calls were getting people riled up.

Also, I saw a chart of average 500mb (20,000ft or so) vertical velocities around the planet. Major lift in the Pacific across the ITCZ, while the Carb and Gulf of Mexico have had tone of subsidence and a more stable atmosphere than normal. Pretty remarkable.

They are going to have to hurry-most places are reporting east winds, BOS is at 70, Providence 72, BDR 73 at 12 noon.

-

on your second point, what a remarkably quiet stretch in the Atlantic.  Last year was dead and this year continues that save for some in close development. 

They are going to have to hurry-most places are reporting east winds, BOS is at 70, Providence 72, BDR 73 at 12 noon.

-

on your second point, what a remarkably quiet stretch in the Atlantic.  Last year was dead and this year continues that save for some in close development. 

Well I mean spots inland like KOWD/KTAN etc.

Yeah very quiet. SSTs aren't terribly warm either in the regions we look for development. Some spots are warm, but not an overall torch look. Hurricanes are heat transport engines too. 

Archived