joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was driving on route 2 to foxwoods yesterday there was actually a stretch that looked like it was nearing peak color guessing they are stressed somehow

If you go through a swampy area in mid-August, you'll see a lot of colored trees. But I don't find that unusual for this time of the year. Only unhealthy, stressed trees will change this early and it's pretty normal. 

I haven't seen broadbrush early coloring. If you get perfect conditions for early coloring (like very cold late August/early September and lots of dry/crisp airmasses and sunny weather), then you might see things about 1-2 weeks ahead of schedule...but the sun angle prevents it from getting much more than that beyond average. Ditto for delayed coloring...like in 2007 we saw a peak in late October...maybe 2 weeks late?

Feel of September today. I'm off today and tomorrow and the increase in the dog's energy is amazing. She is no fan of summer but will run in high heat if I throw a ball to retrieve. She is a snow weenie's dream for a pet. She'll match me and beyond in heavy winter snow and cold.

Don't know, but not making it up. It's not massive color but it's above normal. No biggie. Move on

I'll actually back you up on this...there was more leaf change in Woodstock, CT up near Bigelow Hollow than there is up here in VT. It's not a ton but it's noticeable.

It looked like a lot more trees are stressed in that area though...there must be a narrow corridor there where something is going on. Dry summer or whatever. But it was there, a lot more than I would ever think for mid-August.

Maybe it's not abnormal, but it is there. The early stressed trees seemed to be calling it good early in the season this year. NECT was the only spot I saw that, nothing else on 90 to 91 to 89 back to NVT.

Hes the long range and energy guru at WSI and Scooter sort of reports to him. He's been banging the warm drum for New England for late Aug and early Sept

Durrrrrr

WSI Energy Weather

@WSI_Energy

Omega block setting up over eastern U.S. in medium-range.. favors cool + damp weather over coastal eastern cities pic.twitter.com/dWlhbRfrN0

I'll actually back you up on this...there was more leaf change in Woodstock, CT up near Bigelow Hollow than there is up here in VT. It's not a ton but it's noticeable.

It looked like a lot more trees are stressed in that area though...there must be a narrow corridor there where something is going on. Dry summer or whatever. But it was there, a lot more than I would ever think for mid-August.

Maybe it's not abnormal, but it is there. The early stressed trees seemed to be calling it good early in the season this year. NECT was the only spot I saw that, nothing else on 90 to 91 to 89 back to NVT.

Careful.. You'll be indirectly called a liar by others not in the area

I am in Woodstock and I have seen trees starting to change too ( honestly I saw it happening about two weeks ago )...its not totally widespread but it is happening...I remembering it happening early last year too, not sure it was this early.

I can give specific spots, lol.... I was going to take some photos but the day I was there it poured all last week.  There was one property on Lebanon Hill Road at 700ft coming out of Southbridge, MA that was like full autumn for whatever reason.  If that guy didn't leave his property he would probably think its early October (maybe he's dropping motor oil in his backyard and the trees are dying, but it was pretty remarkable).  I was going to get a photo but folks were home and I'm not about to play that game of wandering someone's property.  Also saw some good turners near the Woodstock Fairgrounds before going into Putnam. 

But they are scattered about...I don't know, I think there must just be some localized stressing going on there.  Its not "fall foliage" but just stressed trees...its way too early for natural indicators to get the leaves to change.  But something was happening locally around there.

I am in Woodstock and I have seen trees starting to change too ( honestly I saw it happening about two weeks ago )...its not totally widespread but it is happening...I remembering it happening early last year too, not sure it was this early.

We fight the good fight only to be told we are blind and drunk liars. It hurts but we rally and move on.. Knowing who the winners are

If you go through a swampy area in mid-August, you'll see a lot of colored trees. But I don't find that unusual for this time of the year. Only unhealthy, stressed trees will change this early and it's pretty normal. 

I haven't seen broadbrush early coloring. If you get perfect conditions for early coloring (like very cold late August/early September and lots of dry/crisp airmasses and sunny weather), then you might see things about 1-2 weeks ahead of schedule...but the sun angle prevents it from getting much more than that beyond average. Ditto for delayed coloring...like in 2007 we saw a peak in late October...maybe 2 weeks late?

Yes, Saw some of these swamp maples on Saturday up here that were changed in a nice red shade

I don't know why it's hard to acknowledge stressed trees.

It has to be stress this early in the game (sun angle still high, temps not *that* cold, etc)...that's fine...I'm more curious as to why because there's a larger than normal percentage where I was in NE CT vs anywhere else, including up here.  If its water related or what, who knows.  But I don't think Blizz's initial comment about the leaves seem to be changing early is that far off....and you guys know I'm the first to laugh at something ridiculous he says, haha.

But they are scattered about...I don't know, I think there must just be some localized stressing going on there.  Its not "fall foliage" but just stressed trees...its way too early for natural indicators to get the leaves to change.  But something was happening locally around there.

If it has been abnormally dry there locally, then they will get more stressed....it is why a very dry summer is bad for fall foliage. The stressed trees will leaf drop before the peak and you'll get a cruddy season.

That said, we always have some trees changing by mid/late August...the usual suspects. Damaged trees, unhealthy trees, swamp maples, etc, etc.

Archived