wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents have a heater in theirs. 80-85F all summer.

I had strict insturctions not to let ours get below 75*.  Dead River gas bill, ftl.

Looks like the Pit may have hit tickled 60* on Friday, hit 69.7 yesterday.  Torch.

Spent the weekend at the Boston Yacht Club.  Cool day cruising off Manchester yesterday, but pretty warm on land though.

57.4/55 off a low of 54.5

Does hot weather? Well, I guess cool weather may not DO anything, but it fails to do what heat does.

then there is morning dew on cool mornings which is a nice source of moisture. Sun angle now slipping away burned lawns becomes less of an issue. What a great day yesterday and today. Wonder how the top four climo sites are doing.

Does hot weather?  Well, I guess cool weather may not DO anything, but it fails to do what heat does.

It could burn in 60 degree sun and dry or 90 degree sun and dry. And dew in the morning doesn't do anything lol ..It just sprinkles the grass blades and evaporates off by 9:00am. Water needs to get down into the roots

Dew watering the grass and keeping it green? I mean that is a classic..LOL

I believe my follicular challenged friend dew is in fact a source of moisture as I said., maybe wrong but water is water Science 101. You should have stayed awake for your Gen ed classes while getting your business degree

I believe my follicular challenged friend dew is in fact a source of moisture as I said., maybe wrong but water is water Science 101. You should have stayed awake for your Gen ed classes while getting your business degree

You both are making valid points.  Any water will help; but its really water that gets the roots that will feed the lawn. 

It makes no sense at all though that low heat dry will burn a lawn to the degree that high heat dry will.

You both are making valid points. Any water will help; but its really water that gets the roots that will feed the lawn.

It makes no sense at all though that low heat dry will burn a lawn to the degree that high heat dry will.

of course, Kev is now going to say I know it all, happens all the time. Xerophytic regions grasses are an example where dew is a source of moisture.

Just let him go. Know it alls know it all

so it's not a source of moisture, cool days lower sun angle have the same effect on grass growth, good to know. I DEW hope you have a great day. Enjoy seeing all the business men suited up. Might be the summer of your despair. Wonder what the big 4 are showing,

I could care less for mby. We've had plenty of rain throughout the summer coupled with no heat at all, most days in the 70's

For met summer to date at the Pit:

Total days over 80*: 15

High for met summer: 86*

Number of days 83 or higher: 3

no 90s in a majority of ECT, but I know it all so I should just go with Kevs insistence that only my town hasn't.

We seem to be done with the 90's for this year, very high probability based on models.  More concerned that we may be dealing with a TC strike next month, with pattern maybe becoming favorable with some Atlantic blocking and "WAR" ridge re-positioning. If we get 500 mb heights to 588-590 in Atlantic Canada and New Foundland, something could be curved right into the LI and New England area, if there is indeed something to track later on. I would sense about a 12-15 percent chance of a direct impact TC strike this September for a Cat 1 cane. This summer does reminds me so much of 1985 which had a hot SE and a much cooler NE. We had Gloria that Sept. I bet the summer pattern is a bit similar too.  Hope we avoid any TC's.

We seem to be done with the 90's for this year, very high probability based on models.  More concerned that we may be dealing with a TC strike next month, with pattern maybe becoming favorable with some Atlantic blocking and "WAR" ridge re-positioning. If we get 500 mb heights to 588-590 in Atlantic Canada and New Foundland, something could be curved right into the LI and New England area, if there is indeed something to track later on. I would sense about a 12-15 percent chance of a direct impact TC strike this September for a Cat 1 cane. This summer does reminds me so much of 1985 which had a hot SE and a much cooler NE. We had Gloria that Sept. I bet the summer pattern is a bit similar too.  Hope we avoid any TC's.

I was surprised to see that you reside on LI after reading your post.

Worrying about the grass is fruitless. The grass burns and then greens with rain. The climate here doesn't support green although a lot of help from hoses. Look at wilderness areas and meadows. But people obsess over appearance of the lawn vs utility...I don't get it.

Archived