• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

Must be something to behold down on the South Shore. I am enjoying it even here.

It's warned too. Right on the outflow....one thing I noticed (although hasn't happened this summer) is that the outflow from BOS harbor storms seems to fire up cells east of rt 24 and that's pretty much what happened. I've seen this many times. In fact i was excited to move there as that area to like srn ORH county is another semi good spot relatively speaking for storms. Not this year I guess.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-6270-0-61385700-1410055575_thumb.jppost-6270-0-25253500-1410055593_thumb.jpHaven't read everything yet, just got in, but I'll post a couple pics. I was in Lawrence and North Andover and saw some 70mph winds and lots of trees and wires down (prob about 20) in the northern part of North Andover. Some pea size hail mixed in as well. KLWM about a mile or two from where I was picked up a 53mph gust. Saw a tree get some of its bark stripped off by lightning which was cool. Never seen so much severe wx so close to my house in a single year. This is the 5th or so severe storm for my town I believe. 

I'm in Cambridge tonight but guessing Greenfield got the same or a little more. I'll have the missus confirm in the morning.

Cambridge had a pretty good line come through around 6:30-7:00. Saw some branches down and lights out on the way through Inman and Harvard area.

We ha some pretty nasty stuff in Bernardston, but heading south on rte 10 South of kringle there was substantially less. Hardly any debris on the roadway (leaves, twigs, small branches, etc).

Between 3 and 6 pm I set up my tripod up on Prospect st in Harvard.  It's a 500' elevation that has unobstructed vantage spanning to Mt Watchusett and the Monadnocks.  On very clear days you can even see Greylock some 100 miles out to near N. Adams!  

Anyway, filmed a couple of hours worth of sky cover.   Shortly after 4 is when conditions got real interesting.  Low decibel booms became audible. At the time there were a couple of tornado warned cells:  one straddled the NH/MA border due N of our location; the other was out between Fitchburg and Winchendon, ...straddling Rt 2.   It was this latter cell that was cacophonous. 

At the time the sky directly overhead was blue, with occasional mentally challenged CU and some shredded altostratus. But the cumulonimbi heads were beautifully visable, and I lazed my camera lens upon them.  This will be fun later to edit them for faster motion. Anyway, apparent ...or mock flanking line TCU were bubbling up in succession, each one then merging into the anvil.  It was still to far away to fight glare, to make detail to the right of sun/backlit turrets, but the frequency of the distant din became ominous. Overlapping at times, in fact.  At one point not many minutes later, the first CG was visible from some 15 miles away ...then another, then another.  Sometimes two popping off at the same time.  

By then the sun was eclipsed entirely and the sky was rendered to the mercy of the thunderstorm. It spanned from Watchusett to the direction of the Monadnocks. A long arcus cloud was then visible.  Best CG display I have seen in years was underway. The were very bright, silvery blue multi-pulsing bolts.  Some you lost count.  vim-vim vim vim-vim vim ...and the booms overlapped.  It was pretty dramatic.  The wall of rain and wind was utterly impenetrable to the eye ... totally opaque, as it climbed our side of the valley; we were long retired to the safety of our vehicles.  

We didn't see any rotation prior.  In fact, though the storm was severe warned for our location, it really came through as just a strong storm. The wind (estimating) was about 40 to 45mph, and because of the relatively elevated exposure, it was fairly laminar and non-gusting.The rain was blinding and quite heavy for a time, but the drop size was small/no hail. Mostly this was a lightning show in that part of Middlesex County.  As well as a spectacular cloud videography.  

I'm to filming though, so I have to figure this thing out.

Between 3 and 6 pm I set up my tripod up on Prospect st in Harvard. It's a 500' elevation that has unobstructed vantage spanning to Mt Watchusett and the Monadnocks. On very clear days you can even see Greylock some 100 miles out to near N. Adams!

Anyway, filmed a couple of hours worth of sky cover. Shortly after 4 is when conditions got real interesting. Low decibel booms became audible. At the time there were a couple of tornado warned cells: one straddled the NH/MA border due N of our location; the other was out between Fitchburg and Winchendon, ...straddling Rt 2. It was this latter cell that was cacophonous.

At the time the sky directly overhead was blue, with occasional mentally challenged CU and some shredded altostratus. But the cumulonimbi heads were beautifully visable, and I lazed my camera lens upon them. This will be fun later to edit them for faster motion. Anyway, apparent ...or mock flanking line TCU were bubbling up in succession, each one then merging into the anvil. It was still to far away to fight glare, to make detail to the right of sun/backlit turrets, but the frequency of the distant din became ominous. Overlapping at times, in fact. At one point not many minutes later, the first CG was visible from some 15 miles away ...then another, then another. Sometimes two popping off at the same time.

By then the sun was eclipsed entirely and the sky was rendered to the mercy of the thunderstorm. It spanned from Watchusett to the direction of the Monadnocks. A long arcus cloud was then visible. Best CG display I have seen in years was underway. The were very bright, silvery blue multi-pulsing bolts. Some you lost count. vim-vim vim vim-vim vim ...and the booms overlapped. It was pretty dramatic. The wall of rain and wind was utterly impenetrable to the eye ... totally opaque, as it climbed our side of the valley; we were long retired to the safety of our vehicles.

We didn't see any rotation prior. In fact, though the storm was severe warned for our location, it really came through as just a strong storm. The wind (estimating) was about 40 to 45mph, and because of the relatively elevated exposure, it was fairly laminar and non-gusting.The rain was blinding and quite heavy for a time, but the drop size was small/no hail. Mostly this was a lightning show in that part of Middlesex County. As well as a spectacular cloud videography.

I'm to filming though, so I have to figure this thing out.

So post them for once

Archived