northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
July 2-3 severe weather and flash flooding

Ian

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legitimate. Best one this year hands down. Surprised we haven't lost power  -- the winds were over 50 and it wasn't just one burst, we had strong winds (although intermittent) for 10-15 minutes or so. I rode it out on top of the CVS in Tenleytown and if my car wasn't being "buffeted" by the winds, it was probably being smorgasborded. That was one omnious sky right before the deluge.

That was a thunderstorm intensity of 8.5 on scale of 10.

52mph peak gust here but along US Route 1 inside the Beltway in College Park and along University Blvd between 4 Corners and Georgia Ave there are whole trees uprooted and down, one right on a house in CP, and based on my observation experiences those winds were 70 or slightly higher.

Can confirm. Based on what I was hearing as it was rolling in I was surprised at the lack of close lightning/lightning at all.

Respectable storm.  Nice heavy rain and probably ~40mph winds.  Nothing severe and not much lightning.

I do not have pictures but getting a lot of whole tree pulled out by roots reports in College Park area as well as some significant structual damage. I ate at that McDonalds right across from the above damage picture around 3pm. These reports and pictures are indicative of wind streaks in 80 and even 90mph range.

Torrents here for a good 10-15 minutes near montgomery mall. Didn't get much lightning but it was there. No hail that I saw or heard. A good wind gust knocked out my power. Need to head back soon to see if it's back on. I don't need severe. A good summer rain is enough for me.

Archived