Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 2-3 severe weather and flash flooding

Ian

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us begin

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC  1127 AM EDT THU JUL 3 2014    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    PENDLETON COUNTY IN EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA...    * UNTIL 1215 PM EDT    * AT 1124 AM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS DETECTED 18 MILES    SOUTHWEST OF UPPER TRACT...OR 22 MILES NORTHEAST OF GREENBANK...AND    WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING    HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF QUARTERS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60    MPH.    

There is a story up on WTOP that they are worried about the stuff that is already set up being blown down, but nothing about moving the whole thing up.

I don't think they could move fireworks forward given the closures/security.. they'd have to postpone if anything. Though I have no clue what kind of wind would be needed for that. It doesn't look horrible tomorrow but certainly breezy. 

There is a story up on WTOP that they are worried about the stuff that is already set up being blown down, but nothing about moving the whole thing up.

If I remember correctly, I think that actually happened 5(ish) years ago. I can't remember exactly. I remember being at the beach and seeing on tv that they were evacuating the mall because of a line of severe thunderstorms.

I don't think they could move fireworks forward given the closures/security.. they'd have to postpone if anything. Though I have no clue what kind of wind would be needed for that. It doesn't look horrible tomorrow but certainly breezy. 

I think they mean for tonight

I think they mean for tonight

Winds will be up most of tomorrow too tho.. could see 35 mph gusts maybe? Even coincident with fireworks. On the whole tomorrow is windier than today unless they get downbursted or something.. but that's always a risk when they are setting up given it's near peak climo for wind damage.  

If I remember correctly, I think that actually happened 5(ish) years ago. I can't remember exactly. I remember being at the beach and seeing on tv that they were evacuating the mall because of a line of severe thunderstorms.

There was during the day a few yrs back may be 5 can't recall, 2008?  That yr there were storms around basically right thru start but they still went up on time. 

Great shot. What are you doing to ensure you don't miss the lightning.......long exposure or intervalometer set to take a series of shots?

Usually just long exposures back to back and hope--even with the monuments you can get 10-15 sec at ISO 100 without much difficulty. Sometimes I'll just set it to keep taking them but often I'll do it by hand with the remote so I don't end up with 800 pictures of no lightning. Last night was pretty sparse.. tho I guess it only takes one to make it worth.

Great shot IAN! What I found interesting about last night was the lightning got more numerous with CG strikes well after the initial storm pressed through. Barely anything on radar overhead and lightning pounding around in all directions for 2 hours following the minor ts we had.

Great shot IAN! What I found interesting about last night was the lightning got more numerous with CG strikes well after the initial storm pressed through. Barely anything on radar overhead and lightning pounding around in all directions for 2 hours following the minor ts we had.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I believe that strike shown is a positive strike in stratiform rain. Pretty common to get that kind of activity behind a good squall line though last night was not really a good squall line locally.. so a bit peculiar the way it set up.  I was waffling all evening and finally left home around 10. Most of that stuff died out as it hit DC unfortunately.  The stuff east was rocking but it was a bit too far off with all the low cloud junk as well.  

Nice pic Ian. Great foreground to shoot on.

I managed some decent shots up here in Philly. ?burbs actually, but you can see Philly in the background in a few.

Tapatalk

Nice, that last one is very cool esp.  Too much low clouds around here for much of that. :(  

Thanks Bob. And lol mapgirl. ;)  I'm a bad photog salesman. 

Not that I have downloaded it, but the pic settings on his flickr page allow for downloads. There's a download button in the bottom right corner of the pic. Always best to get permission if you don't know the person.

I've asked him numerous times to email me high res pics and he never does :(

Not that I have downloaded it, but the pic settings on his flickr page allow for downloads. There's a download button in the bottom right corner of the pic. Always best to get permission if you don't know the person.

Oh I know. But I'm on mobile while at work and can't really download it very well then save to desktop. If he'd just email me it.... But yeah I've got his flicker bookmarked on the iPad for viewing :)

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC  1229 PM EDT THU JUL 3 2014    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    NORTHERN ROCKINGHAM COUNTY IN WESTERN VIRGINIA...    WESTERN SHENANDOAH COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VIRGINIA...    SOUTHERN HARDY COUNTY IN EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA...    * UNTIL 115 PM EDT    * AT 1225 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS DETECTED 12 MILES    SOUTHWEST OF MATHIAS...OR 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF ROUGH RUN...AND WAS    MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL    UP TO THE SIZE OF QUARTERS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. 

Woo-meh storms today?  

First FFW for the mountains:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
103 PM EDT THU JUL 3 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
  NORTH CENTRAL ROCKINGHAM COUNTY IN WESTERN VIRGINIA...
  SOUTHWESTERN HARDY COUNTY IN EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 400 PM EDT

* AT 101 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
  VERY HEAVY RAIN CAPABLE OF PRODUCING FLASH FLOODING. ADDITIONAL
  RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO 1 INCH CAN BE EXPECTED.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE HEAVY RAIN INCLUDE MATHIAS.

FLASH FLOOD PRONE AREAS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
  UPPER COVE ROAD ALONG UPPER COVE RUN...
  LOWER COVE ROAD ALONG LOWER COVE RUN...
  WHETZEL HOLLOW ROAD ALONG WHETZEL RUN...
  THE GERMAN RIVER BETWEEN BERGTON AND CRIDERS...

Archived