Newest Member
    northernriwx
July 2-3 severe weather and flash flooding

Ian

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen this before...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ  1204 AM EDT THU JUL 3 2014    ...THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING  SITUATION...    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    SOUTHERN NEW CASTLE COUNTY IN NORTHERN DELAWARE...    NORTHEASTERN KENT COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MARYLAND...    NORTHWESTERN KENT COUNTY IN CENTRAL DELAWARE...    NORTHERN CAROLINE COUNTY IN EASTERN MARYLAND...    EASTERN QUEEN ANNE'S COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MARYLAND...    * UNTIL 100 AM EDT    * AT MIDNIGHT EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED    A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM. THE STORM WAS NEAR CENTREVILLE...MOVING    NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING GOLF BALL    SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.     * THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...    HOPE AND CHURCH HILL AROUND 1210 AM EDT...    CHURCH HILL AROUND 1215 AM EDT...    GOLDSBORO AROUND 1220 AM EDT...    SUDLERSVILLE AND CRUMPTON AROUND 1225 AM EDT...    MILLINGTON AROUND 1230 AM EDT...    HARTLY AND MASSEY AROUND 1235 AM EDT...    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...    THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. IF YOU ARE IN ITS PATH...MOVE INDOORS TO A  STURDY BUILDING AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO  SO...REPORT SEVERE WEATHER TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OR TO THE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.    THIS IS AN UNUSUALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK SHELTER NOW INSIDE A  STURDY STRUCTURE AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS!

Winds are being shown as close to 80 mph

on the BWI radar in Queen Anne's county.

A good thing not much is out there beyond

the Centreville area.

Yeah you're right, both of the warnings on the storm have enhanced wording as well. Here is one of the warnings:

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

1208 AM EDT THU JUL 3 2014

MDC035-041-030430-

/O.CON.KPHI.SV.W.0072.000000T0000Z-140703T0430Z/

QUEEN ANNE`S MD-TALBOT MD-

1208 AM EDT THU JUL 3 2014

...THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING

SITUATION...

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1230 AM EDT

FOR NORTHEASTERN TALBOT AND CENTRAL QUEEN ANNE`S COUNTIES...

AT 1203 AM EDT...A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WAS REPORTED CAPABLE

OF PRODUCING GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF

70 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 7

MILES NORTHWEST OF CENTERVILLE TO CENTREVILLE TO 6 MILES WEST OF WYE

MILLS TO 10 MILES SOUTHWEST OF WYE MILLS TO 14 MILES SOUTH OF WYE

MILLS...OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF

CENTERVILLE TO CENTERVILLE TO 10 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CENTERVILLE TO 16

MILES SOUTHWEST OF CENTERVILLE TO 12 MILES NORTH OF CAMBRIDGE...

MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

Tomorrow def should be more widespread tho today ended up meeting potential generally I think.. DC got kinda screwed but that always happens. If you take Arthur away the 500mb pattern is pretty solid tomorrow. Arthur should add some oomph to the front but not sure if it will be big storms or just big rain.

Damaging winds look like primary threat.. don't see any tor risk, esp with hodos being straight lines and no real SRH

Day 1 0600z OTLK is out..  15% hail/15% wind/2% tor

..MID-ATLANTIC INTO NEW ENGLAND    RICH BOUNDARY LAYER MOISTURE WILL BE IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION WITH  SFC DEW POINTS FROM THE UPPER 60S TO LOW 70S ALONG MUCH OF THE  EASTERN SEABOARD. WHILE MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE EXPECTED TO BE  RATHER POOR /LESS THAN 6.5 DEG C PER KM/...POCKETS OF STRONG SFC  HEATING SHOULD RESULT IN WEAK TO MODERATE INSTABILITY BY MIDDAY  GIVEN THE DEGREE OF BOUNDARY LAYER MOISTURE. THE COLD FRONT AND  NEARLY UNIDIRECTIONAL DEEP-LAYER SHEAR PROFILES WILL TEND TO FAVOR  STORM CLUSTERS OR BROKEN LINES...BUT 30-40 KT OF DEEP-LAYER SHEAR  MAY ALLOW FOR BRIEF SUPERCELL STRUCTURES EARLY IN STORM EVOLUTION.  DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE MAIN THREAT...AS AFOREMENTIONED POOR  LAPSE RATES WILL LIMIT LARGE-HAIL POTENTIAL...BUT SOME MARGINALLY  SEVERE HAIL IS POSSIBLE IN STRONGER STORMS. 

With todays storms you either got totally annihilated or you got meh. Woodbridge VA got meh. Generally speaking Maryland is a major winnah, both in terms of winter snows and in terms of big storms and rainfall in summer.

I need to move to maryland pronto. Otherwise I'll learn to embrace a meh life.

Overall, I expect northern Virginia to be drier than normal through late September with an overall warmer than normal July and August and at or 1 degree above normal September. After that, all depends on the Nino - if it develops at all.

Get used to walkin on crackly grass with dust. We will be doing it for the next 11 weeks at least.

Ugh! I hate summer with a vengeance. This weather really sucks huge hairy goat balls.

Local models seem to want a train of storms this afternoon... looks good to me.  Severe will be a bonus IMO

Yeah, slow movement etc been a signal for today a while. Could be a good lightning day if there's not 1/8 mi vis rain in the bands.

Yeah, slow movement etc been a signal for today a while. Could be a good lightning day if there's not 1/8 mi vis rain in the bands.

I could see a damaging wind threat with the hodos... but I don't see a TOR risk.  SRH doesn't really support it... though I guess its non-zero. 

I could see a damaging wind threat with the hodos... but I don't see a TOR risk. SRH doesn't really support it... though I guess its non-zero.

Prob not widespread risk but we have the bulk shear today at least.

LOL, did I hear that corretly on CNN just now?  DC moved their fireworks up to tonight?  WHY the hell would they do that, weather will be worse tonigh than tomorrow.

There is a story up on WTOP that they are worried about the stuff that is already set up being blown down, but nothing about moving the whole thing up.

Archived